View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ketamine Vials and Ketamine Soluability

KetamineVials

Greenlighter
What is the max amount of K you can have in a mL of water, or any solution for that matter? I ask because somebody is telling me they have 10 mL vials of ketamine, and each mL has 500mg. So that means each vial has 5g. Seems a little far-fetched to me.

Said person is telling me that the brands he/she obtains are RotexMedica. However, the highest concentration of vials that I can find on their website is 100mg/mL @ 10mL per vial. So, 1 gram vials.

Vials are virtually always 50 mg/ml or 100 mg/ml, the 100 ones are probably most common.

Maximum solubility in water should lie between 100 and 200 mg/ml, but it is closer to 100 in saline although if you warm it up near 200 may be reached.

So no each vial would have 500 mg not each ml, must have been confused about that... or jumped a decimal point.

Nope, said person didn't jump a decimal point, I'm re-reading their message right now. If they did jump a decimal point, the entire message wouldn't make sense. They clearly state that each vial is yielding about 5.5g of K (which makes sense, given when I've dried 1g vials on the past, they yield about 1.1g, which accounts for the non-active substance that also dries up with the K.)

However, given the solubility being 100mg/mL (a max of 200mg/mL, as you say, and as I also thought was the case,) I think this person is just bluffing.

Thanks! :)

You definitely won't find more than 100mg/ml from a vial! 100mg/ml is the ideal concentration for IM injection (used commonly for conscious sedation in children to avoid the discomfort of IV access), with doses of 300mg IM not uncommon for an average 8 year-old.

50mg/ml is the maximum recommended concentration for IV bolus, as high doses pushed rapidly occasionally cause people to briefly stop breathing, and a more concentrated solution hits harder and faster. That said, we're talking 300mg IV here, waaaaay beyond recreational dosages! You can push sub-anaesthetic doses fast without issue, I see doctors regularly smash patients with 90mg IV, followed by Fentanyl AND Roccuronium (or sometimes Midazolam), and FAST, one after the other to intubate the patient. Not that the patient breathes after the Rocc, but that's intentional! There's a very small chance of laryngospasm and apnoea, but it's very rare.‎

They tend to go for higher concentrations in vials because that means you can IM it, and just dilute it down with 0.9% saline if needed for IV.

Two big points to note if you're making up your own liquid to IM/IV:

When pharmaceutical liquid is evaporated, the powder that results is rarely 100% pure by weight, as it contains various additives/preservatives and some salt to make the solution the same osmolarity as body tissues and blood. 5ml of 50mg/ml solution sometimes gives you 300mg of powder instead of the expected 250, but at least it has nothing nasty in it!

It should only be made up using sterile water, not 0.9% sodium chloride! If the powder came from a vial, it will still contain the salt, and will give you a decent osmolarity at between 100mg/ml and 50mg/ml (i.e 300). If not, pure Ketamine HCl gives a roughly ideal osmolarity between the same concentrations in water. 200mg/ml is going to be hypertonic, but not excessively so. Your biggest issue will be keeping the stuff in solution... you'll end up with a lovely chunky crystal in your vial if you let it get cold!‎

It's almost more of an issue getting osmolarity right with IM administration, since the liquid stays in contact with the muscle tissue for a period of time, possibly causing damage. How much, I'm not sure! IV wise, it's little issue... 2ml of hyper/hypotonic solution won't matter much when diluted down by the other 5 litres of blood in your body!

Might do a visual tutorial for making liquid to IM, can't say I've seen anything beyond text descriptions!

It should only be made up using sterile water, not 0.9% sodium chloride! If the powder came from a vial, it will still contain the salt, and will give you a decent osmolarity at between 100mg/ml and 50mg/ml (i.e 300). If not, pure Ketamine HCl gives a roughly ideal osmolarity between the same concentrations in water. 200mg/ml is going to be hypertonic, but not excessively so. Your biggest issue will be keeping the stuff in solution... you'll end up with a lovely chunky crystal in your vial if you let it get cold!‎

It's almost more of an issue getting osmolarity right with IM administration, since the liquid stays in contact with the muscle tissue for a period of time, possibly causing damage. How much, I'm not sure! IV wise, it's little issue... 2ml of hyper/hypotonic solution won't matter much when diluted down by the other 5 litres of blood in your body!

Might do a visual tutorial for making liquid to IM, can't say I've seen anything beyond text descriptions!
I make my own vials whenever I can only source crystal/powdered ketamine, but only when I'm confident it's pure and not cut. However, I've always used bacteriostatic water with 0.9% sodium chloride, as I've heard it makes no difference; at least, when it came to my research, it usually involved creating liquid steroids for injection.

This brings me to another question, since the dried ketamine already probably has some NaCl in it, would I be injecting twice the sodium chloride? I haven't had any issues yet, but I'm just curious.

Thanks!

They probably don't understand how to read the contents right. It's always, especially with brand name vials, 50mg/ml or 100mg/ml. Five and a half grams wouldn't even dilute in that little liquid. I'm looking at a few sites right now, and trying to find one that seems trustworthy enough to send my cash to, you know? The ones I'm looking at seem like they are all run by the same people. All the fonts and wording, everthing seems the same. And there all from the same country. *strictly forbidden - read the rules!*

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum ;)

It's been almost 2 years since this thread was started and the TS hasn't even been online in months..

Also: read the rules.