View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Health Ketamine tolerance break advice

TheJuner

Bluelighter
Hi all, so a little about my ketamine use I first used ketamine in July. I have been using ketamine semi-frequently since then, though my use has been inconsistent, and I've taken breaks spanning from weeks to months mainly due to lack of access to the drug. When I do have access to it, I usually use it anywhere from 3 to 7 times a month I'd say. Though, there have been a few times in which I have used ketamine for two days in a row/used ketamine multiple times in a week, but this isn't really common for me. I'd consider myself something of a lightweight, during a session I usually redose 2 or 3 times but that's about it, taking anywhere between 30-70mg at a time. My preferred route of administration is intranasal/insufflation. Anyways, I have used ketamine about 8 times over the past 3 weeks, and the last three or so times I've used ketamine I've noticed a diminished response to the drug, needing to dose more than I usually use to get the same effect. Furthermore I've noticed a slight change in effects, the analgesic properties of ketamine (which also includes the numbing body high) have diminished. I do still get the beautiful ketamine afterglow when I comedown though. So, given this information, how long of a tolerance break should I take before using again?

I try at least a month but please be aware K has somewhat of a perma-tolerance. I use really sporadically and noticed my dose continuously going up even when I started at baby tiny doses and only use one bump in a session (well in the beginning, first decade of use..)

-GC

I try at least a month but please be aware K has somewhat of a perma-tolerance. I use really sporadically and noticed my dose continuously going up even when I started at baby tiny doses and only use one bump in a session (well in the beginning, first decade of use..)

-GC
Yeah I'm aware of perma-tolerance, though permatolerance isn't very well understood and I've seen a lot of people claiming that permatolerance is only really prevalent with heavy users of ketamine and other dissociatives.

Yeah I'm aware of perma-tolerance, though permatolerance isn't very well understood and I've seen a lot of people claiming that permatolerance is only really prevalent with heavy users of ketamine and other dissociatives.

Well I’m an example of someone that hasn’t used heavily at all (average dose was 2-3mg now it’s like 10-20, I like the afterglow more than the effects themselves) and it’s happening to me..

I also have heard of others on here experiencing the same perma tolerance from light use.

That said, this has been over the course of 13yrs or so.

-GC

Dissociative tolerance is weird and inconsistent but if it's here then it lasts for forever and a day. My disso career began with DXM which actually exhibited reverse tolerance at first, meaning I'd get higher of a certain dosage if I dosed multiple days in a row (yeah I know there is some cumulation because of long half life but this doesn't account for everything). On the peak of my teenage use just 75mg were enough to get high all day long. I was on venlafaxine then though which I don't know whether it had any influence. But I dosed daily for 4+ months and had no tolerance, it worked every day like a charm.

Then I had to abstain and eventually got my hands on MXE, then DCK. The DCK was after a heavy break up and I was hoping to get the solace back I found in DXM back then. I deliberately dosed multiple times a day and experienced fast increasing tolerance until I hit kind of a plateau at which part of the magic was missing and I got increasingly sedated throughout the day but it continued working and I didn't have to increase the dosage any more. I think based on calculations from my orders that I did maybe 0.75g a day which is a freaking high dosage for DCK. Once I got K and went through 25 grams in a couple of days, the only time when I experienced the K cramps, making me think that K might be more toxic physically than the more potent RC analogues. I used DCK for over 3 years daily and got away with mild, transient bladder irritation.

But back to tolerance. I stopped using DCK after that time and went for 1+ years just on medication, then ordered some more DCK and tolerance was down somewhat but not fully, the magic was still partially lacking. I didn't properly measure my dosages so I can't tell for sure but it was a far cry from the 5mg doses at which good ole MXE was active back then.

I wonder whether there might be pharmaceutical mechanisms to lower dissociative tolerance. Like the use of racetam nootropics which seem to cancel out dissociative trips. I once acquired some noopept and a racetam but they induced tension and anxiety in me so I threw them out. Sarcosine might be another one which I read about from another guy with a sky high dissociative use and who wrote that some of the cognitive impairment went away by using sarcosine. Never tried it myself, a NMDA partial agonist doesn't sound too enjoyable to me who got pronounced anxiolysis from dissociatives.

I also wonder if and to what degree I suffered from NMDA antagonist neurotoxicity (Olney's lesions and such). I seem to have permanently worsened ADHD now but most of the impairment did recover through sobriety.