View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

ketamine safe to take with antibiotics?

ecstacylover

Bluelighter
I got sick a couple days ago and had to get on antibiotics (amoxicillan) yesterday. I already feel almost 100% better today, but I am prescribed to take it for 9 more days. I'm just wondering if it would be okay to take ketamine today (perhaps up to a gram plugged). I couldn't find any interactions between the two after looking online, but I'm just trying to be a bit more cautious than usual.

Should be ok. But trips can be taxing physically so if not feeling 100% maybe you should wait.

I think that amoxicillan may induce ("activate") CYP3A4 enzymes in your liver that are also responsible for breaking down ketamine into norketamine.

Norketamine is thought to not really be so psychoactive in a trippy sense but may contribute to a body high.

In other words: this antibiotic may cause you to break down ketamine more quickly.

On the other hand, it is pretty much impossible to predict by how much that may be, so trying to compensate for it by taking more is not a responsible idea.

If I were you I would conclude waiting is better.

I think that amoxicillan may induce ("activate") CYP3A4 enzymes in your liver that are also responsible for breaking down ketamine into norketamine.

Norketamine is thought to not really be so psychoactive in a trippy sense but may contribute to a body high.

In other words: this antibiotic may cause you to break down ketamine more quickly.

On the other hand, it is pretty much impossible to predict by how much that may be, so trying to compensate for it by taking more is not a responsible idea.

If I were you I would conclude waiting is better.

Here it says that CYP3A4 is inhibited by amoxicillan, but I can't find any definitve studies on it's mechanism of action, it could be an inducer for all I know:
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/28307-Guide-to-Antibiotics-and-MDMA

I'm not neccessarily trying to take more, I just like the lower doses really. 300mg insufflated doesn't get me that close to a hole and I'm not one to IM. Physically, it does seem pretty benign especially when compared to the other ACH's I've researched. Definitely a lot moreso than MDxx which is what a lot of people were combining it with in the thread I mentioned. I know grapefruit juice is an inhibitor of CYP3A4 and plenty of people have combined the much more messy profile of DXM with that one.

I'll probably just start low and see how I feel, titrating upwards from there. Thanks.

Amoxicillin is not a clinically relevant inducer or inhibitor of any CYP isoenzymes.