View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ketamine purity and information

BenzosBudOrBooty

Bluelighter
So I bought some special K and it says its tested to be 78% pure. Is that good or is it dangerous at that number? And what is it typically cut with? Usually I see it in like the 80's or 90's when advertised but maybe they're exaggerating their product. But this was advertised as "Ketamine Shards (Tested)"

and it said

"This was tested by EC at 78% purity, this is an import from Iran which makes it a rarer batch."

Who knows maybe they're still lying but I seem to trust my source with the 78% number. What do these percentages really mean in terms of dangers and risks?

I haven't k-holed yet but I'd like to but wondering if it's really 78% then it's a danger to take a large line or not. I'm still very cautious about my ketamine use ever since doing it in august, which I think is a good thing to be cautious of.

Thank you so much.

Considering that Ketamine almost always is going to be from a pharmaceutical source originally, and not cooked up in a jungle like cocaine, or in some shady Chinese lab like some random RC, that number seems very low to me.

I'd like to know what it's cut with, and would advise getting a testing kit yourself if possible and trying to find out.

Considering that Ketamine almost always is going to be from a pharmaceutical source originally, and not cooked up in a jungle like cocaine, or in some shady Chinese lab like some random RC, that number seems very low to me.

Ketamine is basically the no. 1 drug of abuse in China right now; shady ketamine labs are scattered all over the Chinese countryside; at the same time, medicinal and veterinary K is being monitored much more closely.

So no, it can be assumed that a significant portion of the K going around today is no longer genuine pharm grade material.

Plus, even if it‘s K powder from a pharmaceutical source - what‘s to stop people from cutting it? Yeah, you can be reasonably sure that a sealed vial of Ketanest is the real deal, but once it‘s dried, crystallized, powdered and packed in a baggy...

So pretty much you guys can't give me advice other than "get a test kit"? But is 78% a good number? I mean if the 22% unpure were fentanyl or something then obviously that 78% is wack but....Okay Ill just get a test kit...

It could be cut with anything. If it's actual ketamine and cut with something inert, then 78% is probably as good as you could expect street grade powder to be. Having it lab tested is the only way to be sure of it's contents though, anything short of that is kind of just guessing games.

I think ketamine is about 86% maximum purity, this is because they look at the actual ketamine freebase present (same thing with most other drugs) whereas when sold as finished product you can use, it exists in salt forms like HCl (the HCl salt as in, derived from the acid HCl). HCl is one of the lighter ones but it will always have to be based on an acid like that (freebase + an acid makes the corresponding salt) which means by this definition there is a limit to how pure a salt can actually be.
Sure you can re-calculate it in relative terms of that, particularly if you ignore the possibility of other salts than HCl as you could do with K more or less... but often this is how purity is expressed, especially by testing services, so 78% isn't necessarily that bad in that regard.

Also if there was 22% other substances in there, it would be crazy if that were unidentifiable gunk and I think I would expect EC to comment on the analysis. Anyway, that's my interpretation of these results.

Ketamine is basically the no. 1 drug of abuse in China right now; shady ketamine labs are scattered all over the Chinese countryside; at the same time, medicinal and veterinary K is being monitored much more closely.

So no, it can be assumed that a significant portion of the K going around today is no longer genuine pharm grade material.

Plus, even if it‘s K powder from a pharmaceutical source - what‘s to stop people from cutting it? Yeah, you can be reasonably sure that a sealed vial of Ketanest is the real deal, but once it‘s dried, crystallized, powdered and packed in a baggy...
Fair enough, I stand corrected, I guess I am a little biased just based on my own experiences, but of course you are right also that any powder can be cut no matter the original source.

OP, realistically no-one is going to be able to tell you what the cut is or whether it's safe to use. However based on the facts that your source is (presumably) selling it intended for human consumption, and the fact that they have advertised this seemingly quite low purity quite openly, they obviously don't consider it a big deal and it's, maybe, fairly unlikely that it will be cut with anything actually fatal, and probably even unlikely to be cut with anything active. That said, from a purely harm reduction standpoint, you should always get a test kit, because really who knows what's going on, the powder could be 100% of anything and that figure might just be plucked out the air.

A test kit doesn't help you ID any cut. There is such a thing for IDing adulterants in coke, but those are only a few of the most common ones and some of them make no sense to cut K with.
We don't allow IDing on the forum anyway so you're right that nobody will tell you what the cut is and it is a bit pointless to speculate. Generally people cut with inert substances but may also lace with medications.

If it is actually also advertised in the 90's of % purity that would be confusing considering the absolute vs. relative purity of the salt I explained earlier. Above 86% it would have to be either bullshit or expressed as relative purity, disregarding the (e.g.) HCl portion.

For the record, 78% absolute (86 being the max) is still only a bit under 91% relative purity (100% being the max) after conversion... Unless it is cut that seems like a pretty shitty synthesis for K. In the last 7 or so years ketamine is also being produced illicitly on a serious scale, before that it was pretty much all pharmaceutical. So yeah it may just be a bad product.

Bottom line, we couldn't really tell you.. there is a point in expecting it not to be a fatal substance but really you never know... if you proceed do so with caution. Of course, reviews of the product may help but we cannot discuss anything at all about sourcing so you're already skirting the edges with quoting a source.

all I know is that the stuff I had recently looks smells and feels like some of the purest i've ever had, All the stuff I had in philly over the years must have had a little filler (and even stuff that was cooked out of vials in front of me still wasn't as good as this most recent batch IIRC)