• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Ketamine infusion coming up. Help...

Walter1252

Bluelighter
So, I’ve a Ketamine infusion scheduled this week. It’ll be my first time going. I’ve had ketamine in hospital and man, I hated it.
Occasion one: in hospital recovering from hardware removal of fusion titanium. Opes weren’t doing well at controlling my pain at the lvl they were giving. So they tried K. I freaked out as the ceiling was dripping and was convinced I was about to pass out and die. They stopped it.
Occasion two: in hospital last month for colitis and it was tried for pain at a lower level. I had them turn down the pump but I still was in a panic and couldn’t adequately express WHY I hated it so I just had them stop it. I guess it ratcheted up my existing anxiety? All I could say was that I felt totally classically dissociated. Whatever the hell that means.
I’m giving it a go because I’ve got no other options to try and mitigate my pain, except for taking a shit ton of opes. My tolerance isn’t too bad but I don’t respond well to any of the opes I’ve tried since surgery (oxy, morphine, hydromorphone, bupe, tram, Nucynta). The dilly’s work but I need like 10mg at a time which is higher than I wanna be / be at.
They assured me I’d be fine but I’m unclear what that means. Do they give u something to counter the anxiety? I’ve my own benzos I could bring. It’s been hard to get into contact with a doc there.
DXM also gives me a gross feeling.
any advice on how to make this a tolerable/ enjoyable (it’s 500$ a pop) experience?

Are the infusions primarily to treat depression? Or are they moreso for tolerance reduction purposes?

Benzodiazepines can significantly reduce the anxiety produced by ketamine, but pretreatments with benzodiazepines before ketamine infusions have been shown to reduce the antidepressant effect of these infusions (sometimes quite significantly).

That said, benzodiazepines are still used in some cases to treat anxiety associated with these infusions. You'd be better served by telling your doctor about your concerns rather than taking some without letting them know.

Are the infusions primarily to treat depression? Or are they moreso for tolerance reduction purposes?

Benzodiazepines can significantly reduce the anxiety produced by ketamine, but pretreatments with benzodiazepines before ketamine infusions have been shown to reduce the antidepressant effect of these infusions (sometimes quite significantly).

That said, benzodiazepines are still used in some cases to treat anxiety associated with these infusions. You'd be better served by telling your doctor about your concerns rather than taking some without letting them know.
Thanks. Yeah. Will try and get in touch before. Won’t take any additional benzos. I’ll bring em just in case.
Meant for chronic pain treatment. Altho could certainly benefit from any anti depressant effect.

Ultimately, if you decide to take any take as little as necessary. A small amount of benzos go a long way. Ketamine gives me some anxiety too. It reminds me of the anxiety marijuana can cause. That dissociation can be pretty uncomfortable. Like marijuana, dissociatives seem to at times decrease and also increase anxiety.

Again, id recommend anywhere from 0mg to the lowest benzo dose possible to achieve the greatest therapeutic benefit.

Had the infusion yesterday. Now I’ve got a crushing headache today. Is Ketamine hangover a thing? Or could be from my routine of laxatives and IBS meds making me dehydrated. But I’ve drank as much water as possible.
if K hangover is a thing any suggestions? I’ve dilaudid that is weaned back down to only 1mg a day. would hate to Ruin the wean but this is brutal.

Thx for the suggestions earlier. I needed versed during the infusion, else I would’ve had to stop it. The back pain was raging last night so I don’t think it worked. Altho I felt good most of the day once the dizziness wore off.