Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ketamine for depression

leefox007

Greenlighter
Hi,
I'm extremely interested in ketamine infusions to treat my god damm awful depression which i have suffered from for years.
Does anybody know of anybody in the UK who is giving this treatment. I have looked everywhere with no joy.
I am that much in need that i would infuse myself f if i could get hold of sealed vials but i have no idea where to get these from.

have you tried agomelatine (valdoxan)? lots of people who have treatment-resistant depression do pretty well on it, no side effects really.

im pretty sure its subsidised and available on prescription in UK

doing k infusions yourself is going to be pretty difficult if you don't know where to source high quality s-isomer ketamine, i'm considering doing it myself, but i want to do a huge amount of research to prepare myself on how to do it properly, not to mention having 2 weeks to myself where i don't need to do anything

Ketamine treatment for depression is still being studied so you may have trouble finding a doctor that will take you in. You state you have had depression for many years, is this well documented? What I mean is do you have a psychologist or a therapist that you have a history with? I think it will be extremely hard to get a slot in a ketamine treatment place without a long documented history of depression coupled with attempts to be treated with more routine procedures. I may be wrong but it just seems like you would need that to be a participant, as in they wont just take someone off the street who claims to be sad.

As far as the Valdoxan that Mysterie posted, that is fascinating I have never heard of that class of antidepressants. I am excited that they are trying new things in a feild that really hasnt seen much development since SSRIs were created. Thanks for posting that I cant wait to absorb all that I can on it and become even more powerful!

But I digress, I think you could get away with making your own infusions if you do a lot of research. The goal is to not get "high" but to get the mood stabilizing effect that ketamine has. Even I experience this with my recreational dosage, for example if I am at a festival and I feel like i need to do something and I have the restless, this isnt going how i thought it would, first night jitters or whatever, Ketamine removes that and puts contentment in its place. And that last bit is what you want to achieve and the effect lasts way longer then the drug, at least thats the claim. My guess is it is a replacement for electroshock as you need multiple sessions every month for that too.

I say try other things first, there is no reason to jump straight to a new controversial and essentially untested treatment until you have tried all others. And you can take this time to read all that you can. I hope this helped.

Hi szko000 and Mysterie
Yes - I am a long term sufferer (nearly 20yrs)and have been on all the usual ADs. At the moment I am on venlafaxine. I hate the stuff as I am sure it numbs my emotions and makes me very tired - Although I am very fit - I have to do this to get some light relief. I have had ECT three times with varying results. The first bout I had i was really living an absolute nightmare and my shrink was very concerned about me. I eventually ended up in the Priory and had 9 ECTs. I left the priory and went back to work and called my mother that night to tell her it was a waste of time and i was still living the nightmare. The next day i was walking down the street and unbelievably I physically felt the horrible depression just lift from my mind and i was well. It was truly amazing. That was about 8 years ago now and since then I have had 2 further sessions of 6 ECTs. I certianly didnt get the same relief but i may have got a subtle difference. So you see I do have a long documented history - not just someone off the street who is sad. I also manage to hold down a demanding job in the City - Non of my fellow workers have a clue about my suffering. My shrink also agrees that ketamine infusion would be worth a try but he knows no one who carries it out in the UK. I have researched ketamine infusion a lot. Many cases of people in my exact situation have had great success. I know the dose and the time release 5ml/kg over 40 minutes. I am not going into this blindly. I am really suffering at the moment and really want to give this a shot..

PS
Not heard of agomelatine (valdoxan) before today either. Googled it though. I just dont want to try another "It may work after ... weeks" med. I hate traditional ADs. and have no faith in them..

my dads counselor says that if the people he treated would excersize 45 mins to an hour a day, eat a balnaced diet, get good sleep (no technology screens, bright lights, or loud noises two hours before bed (probably a good time to meditate or read a book)), cut out sugar, junk food, caffiene, be engaged in a social environment, and take care of their hygiene he'd be out of the job. he says that depression is almost entirely (except in the case of severe depression where it may require medication) an external factor of some kind.

on the other hand; ketamine and agomelatine might be worth looking into. just be sure to fix these problems ontop of your treatment.

goodluck!

Hi Just say know,
I do all the above...i feel the depression has forced me into it..(one good factor) but still i suffer horribly. Counselors can say what they like(and i dont mean to be rude), my nhs shrink is a joke - i know more than him. I really think if they have never suffered this illness then how the hell can they understand - It really is like no other....
Best..

good point; sometimes you have a true illness and not a socially caused factor. not meaning to imply that you were in this catagory. hope you get to get some help buddy! :)

Leefox007 please know I ment no disrespect, this forum attracts a large variety of people all of different backgrounds, I just wanted to make sure you weren't going to tie up the system for people who might benefit from it. It is controversial so preventing people who think this is not a serious matter and see it as a chance to get high need to be detoured from giving the movement a bad rep :)

Unfortunately I don't know of any places in the UK that offer it, I know there are places in the U.S. in New York city but beyond that I have no idea.

I don't know much about it but if you have the equipment and ability I don't see why you couldn't experiment with micro doses. Obvious there are so many benefits to going to a professional, even if it may be more expensive, which I'm sure you know.

I wish I had more to offer I really hope you find the happiness your searching for.

Hey, No problem at all. I really didn't explain myself properly in the first place. As you can see Im very serious about this. The results I have read about seem excellent.

Do you have any direct experience with ketamine, recreational or otherwise? I know that there are depression support forums that address this topic and they may be better for your more exact questions. Obviously keep Bluelight for more advanced questions but I am sure you could find a support group, maybe even a collection of people from your area, that are all seeking the same treatment. I wish you the best of luck, I know that it depression can make it hard to put forth the effort but you seem highly motivated.