• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Ketamine-associated ulcerative cystitis

i get my donk direct from india, as most people do in the s west it goes to a seaside town famous for the gay scene, then all around this area, 5 k sacks of silver stripe k. i can testify and take u and show u people who have had operations on bladders imnot sure if they had catheters inserted, but an old k dealer pal of mine was hospitalised for a month, to sort his bladder out,last time i saw him he did have a catheter i dont know if it was permenant.
last time when i had 10 litres in powder which equates to 10 x 52 g =520g of wonk , i got severe cramps in the stomach which last for a week or so, i couldnt stop, the only way i managed to save my self was to chip off to india,when i came back i i'd been off the k for a month i did a line an i had a bad one, i now know my k use is done,however i will do it again to confirm i cant do it, cos thats how fucked i am

If people with bladder damage continue to use ket, they can look forward to being perm. catheterized. Personally I don't know how they'd keep at it with the pain - I kniew of one lad who was using over a gram every day, was pissing blood (well blood in his urine) and still wouldn't stop. I hate to think how he'll end up

i will do it again to confirm i cant do it, cos thats how fucked i am

You most like;y have a hideous tolerance as well, which means a big dose just to get a moderate effect; that'll set you bladder screaming pretty quickly

Not that I want to encourage a hopeless addiction, but it seems like an anti-inflammatory that acts in the bladder should bring immediate relief for those who are posting about bladder pain here - it would be nice to know what to use for those who haven't had symptoms yet. John Lilly never complained about bladder problems did he? I wonder if some people are more susceptible than others, maybe producing a toxic metabolite.

If people with bladder damage continue to use ket, they can look forward to being perm. catheterized. Personally I don't know how they'd keep at it with the pain - I kniew of one lad who was using over a gram every day, was pissing blood (well blood in his urine) and still wouldn't stop. I hate to think how he'll end up

Yup, I know of someone similar. I don't know if he was peeing blood, but he said it was chunky and hurt like no other. So to deal with the pain, he picked up heroin :\

Also as a side note, both him and another user noted that if you drank lots and lots of water, you'd be much less likely to suffer from the "k-pains". So I think that drinking lots of water while binging might be protective to some degree

Not that I want to encourage a hopeless addiction, but it seems like an anti-inflammatory that acts in the bladder should bring immediate relief for those who are posting about bladder pain here - it would be nice to know what to use for those who haven't had symptoms yet. John Lilly never complained about bladder problems did he? I wonder if some people are more susceptible than others, maybe producing a toxic metabolite.

I think it's more likely that different people have different degrees of susceptability to the bladder irritating properties of norketsmine, much like the way different people respomd to the GI irritating properties of NSAIDs eg aspirin

My experience

Yes the irony is, a line of k will reduce the pain for a short time, but you're just prolonging the inevitable.

A GOOD TIP: A hot water bottle or microwaveable heat pad applied to the painful areas will reduce the pain dramatically, I was sceptical but It really works.

I thought I would give people a brief overview of the K-pains I experienced in the last week after at least a week of taking on average 1.5g a day, nasally.

The pain started when I stopped taking the K, the day after.

Day one: Severe abdominal pain, worst when lying down. Sitting up straight reduced the pain. Hard to sleep.
Day two: No real change. I took painkillers and buscopan.
Day three: Pain substantially reduced, I was able to go shopping for about an hour, still uncomfortable though.
Day four: Only slight pain remained.
Day five onwards: Pain gone.

So my advice is take painkillers, use a hot water bottle, and just wait out those worst first 2 days.

I hope this helps people.

I think people are mixing up 2 things that result from K abuse:

1. The subject of this thread, ie urinary problems, which I never experieced personally,

and

2. Spasm of the gall bladder, ie. pain in the central mid-left abdomen.

I think I may have experienced the latter, only in my case, it was not just pain, but also felt like something exploded and felt a "rush" in my body as though something was released into my blood (like an IV).

I did continue to use (and in a couple of cases, abuse) K after a period of cessation and never experieced any of the above.

Apologies, I can't keep up with the scientific jargon of this thread, so forgive me if I've missed something.

I just wanted to ask if a few things I've noticed with my use, have been noticed by others aswell. And whether it has anything to to do with the topic of this thread (again, sorry if it does not).

I'm a very occasional Ketamine user. Maybe 200mg once every month or so. However I have noticed on every occasion I've used, despite only being a small amount, I've had a 'weak' bladder for maybe a week or two after use. ie I need to go to the toilet a lot more often than I usual would, and with a lot less coming out each time! Basically I've had less control over my bladder for the weeks following use.

EDIT: I've just read the rules of this part of the boards. I'm pretty sure I've posted this in the wrong section. Please move it if so. I'm sorry, I'll read the rules before hand first from now on.

Last edited:
^ Yes, Ketamine is a diuretic (makes you pee more). So is alcohol, and caffeine. And parsley, for that matter. This in and of itself is nothing to worry about :).

cystitis and amphetamines?

has anyone ever experienced the same thing from using speed or ice?
i find that nearly every time i have an amphetamine binge i end up with real bad cysitis - even if i haven't had sex. last time the infection spread to my kidneys and got so bad i had to go to hospital. the symptoms came on soon after having a shot (of ice). strange thing was that as soon as i had that shot i got this weird burning in my chest which i've never had before and about ten minutes later felt the same burning in my bladder. a bit after that the normal symptoms of cystitis set in. the other wierd thing is that i went on antibiotics and according to test results they killed the infection, however i'm still having symptoms - although they are very mild.
anyone heard of anything like this?

The two things you mention usually or at least often come together. I have experienced both.

Yeah, i abused k on a daily basis for about a month between .5 and 1.5g a day.

Ended with what i guess were K-pains for about half an hour, and then a day later a urinary tract infection which persisted for about a week.

Needless to say i've cut down my use since, only on weekends and not so often but when i do use i do have less bladder control and its similar to the problem you can experience with MDMA or XTC.

As my friend Leung mentioned in the original post, this seems to be something of a local epidemic.

I am inclined to say it might be a cut in the Ketamine. In the past, I've used Ketamine daily for months (albeit in TINY doses) with no ill effects, during and after use. My use included some of the Toronto Ketamine (which is what I assume this article pertains to, correct me if I'm wrong), but the rest was from other sources unrelated to that.

So I wonder whether this is due to a common adultrant used in this area, or if it is due to extreme ease of availability in certain circles (I have seen compulsive IV use of massive ammounts that would make Arnofsky blush!), hence encouraging irresponsible use.

Interesting nontheless. Ketamine is a good diuretic, thats for sure. But even myself, with my somewhat iffy kidneys, have never noticed anything beyond caffeine-like diuresis...

I agree 100%. I have been a heavy, heavy, heavy ketamine user since 1997. I am involved in a pretty big circle of Toronto ketamine abusers. It never used to affect us like it does now, and it CANNOT just be coincidence that we all started getting the pains at the same time come 2006, when it started pouring in off the boats from 3rd world countries for less then half the price it was in the earlier years. I noticed a huge difference in quality since then aswell. At first I thought it was tolerance build up, but now believe that it just isnt as potent. Something in the cut or the way it is oxidized must be causing these pains and ulcerative cystitis. I finally was able to get off it and havent used in almost 5 months (since jan 31st) and although the pain and blood has finally gone, the frequency is still there. I am desperately looking for something or someone that can fix me. I cannot hold my bladder for more then an hour, and that is on a good day. It sucks especially to have to wake up 8-15 times a night to urinate. Better then the 35-45 times it used to be though. (no exaggeration) also I know some people that didnt start using until 2006-2007 and they were immediately getting the pains, so I know that it was not because of the history or length we have been using.

^ Yes, Ketamine is a diuretic (makes you pee more). So is alcohol, and caffeine. And parsley, for that matter. This in and of itself is nothing to worry about :).

I wouldnt say it is nothing to worry about. I have completely stopped using ketamine since jan 31st. almost 5 months now, and I still very frequently have to urinate. Though the blood and pain is gone, thank god, I still have to frequently go. I dont drink liquor, coffee, tea, juice, pop. in other words, all I drink is water and some milk. I have tried so hard to get my bladder back to normal, and remain waking up 10 times a night to pee. My advice to anyone using ketamine, that once you feel the pain coming on, whether it be the cramps or the bladder infection, to stop and let your body heal. because I seem to have certainly let it go to far.

I got bladder pains from using pure ketamine hydrochloride (I know a person who imports it from an overseas lab), so I doubt it's anything to do with any cuts (although I did know of a speed dealers years ago who cut speed with the white crust that forms around car batteries as 'the more it stung when snorted, the better it was' 8o8o8). He was a used car dealer as well!).

Not dicksizing, but that's not a lot; I would go on binges where I'd use every day for several weeks and each day would consume in excess of 1g a day via IM route. The bladder pain was a big consideration in making me quit using ket

not dicksizing either, but what you described was not a lot either. I too got it from overseas, and used 14-28 grams a day for over 4 years. I was a heavy user for 12 years and the pains werent around until about 2006. (cramps or bladder) which leads me to believe it could most definately be a cut (not necesarily powder) but liquid before it is oxidized, or maybe the way it was oxidized. It all of the sudden became very cheap once it started getting imported from overseas in bulk. The pains were non existent until then. The pains were also what forced me to quit, but not until having them for the thousanth time. I have only been off of it since jan 31 2010, and i still have severe frequency issues. p.s. nothing I have said was an exaggeration.

Just re read your post. The amounts I was talking was not liquid, I was not going th IM route.

Check out data on interstitial cystitis. Although UC and IC seem to be caused by different agents, the symptoms seem similar. Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if the treatments were also similar. The treatments for IC include bladder installations (either DMSO or Elmiron), oral Elmiron, or diet. The big things to avoid on the IC diet are tomatoes, cranberries, anything acidic, etc. The list is huge that I don't want to list it here. Your best bet if you are interested is to look up the guidelines and recommendations online. If you are that desperate for some relief, you might try cutting some foods out of your diet, especially those on the really bad list, and see if it relieves the pain and urgency.

You might also want to see a urologist. They might be able to provide some suggestions.

It might be that the K being taken before 2006 was S+ isomer (medical name esketamine) which science seems to think it less damaging, and after 2006 the new 'cheap' stuff you mention was racemic or R- isomer, which is potentially more damaging. This would mean it's not about what it is or isn't cut with, but rather which form of Ketamine it is.

It might be that the K being taken before 2006 was S+ isomer (medical name esketamine) which science seems to think it less damaging, and after 2006 the new 'cheap' stuff you mention was racemic or R- isomer, which is potentially more damaging. This would mean it's not about what it is or isn't cut with, but rather which form of Ketamine it is.
The (R) isomer isn't an NMDA antagonist, it's a DRI. I was lucky enough to try the separate isomers.

Methoxetamine is no safer. Diphenidine is safer but not much fun. Isophenidine is safer and is a hoot.