View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

ketamine and depression

falsifiedhypothesi

Bluelight Crew
I recently came across a couple fairly new articles on the use of ketamine for depression. They claim that when it works it relieves depression almost instantaneously.

I'm just wondering I anyone has had any experiences they can relate to this. I've never tried ketamine but I have pretty severe depression. Has ketamine helped you with depression?

Low doses can certainly help you feel better. Whether or not it's a permanent "cure" I'm not sure. I'd certainly try K before I went on any other anti-depressants that are based on the "serotonin myth" of depression.

I've never tried Ketamine, but DXM (which is in the same class as Ketamine) helps when I'm in a depressed mood too, especially when used only in moderation. The aftereffects of these drugs are also wonderful 99% of the time, as opposed to something like alcohol or ecstasy. Again, haven't tried ecstasy, but I've heard the stories.

In short, it can instantly reveal A LOT of self-defeating, redundant thought patterns that have been plugging up your time-line.

It's like a mental defibrillator.

Yes it can, definitely. More so while under influence, low dose,(instant) but has lingering effect which is not as strong. (days)

it's not some magical cure though, it wont make you feel happy,(after the drug has worn off) but it will stop the bad stuff from feeling bad. I find MXE better for this effect, but good mxe is hard to come by. and ~addiction/tolerance is a bitch. So are the bad side-effects from these drugs if used too much.

Once again, it is not a magical cure for depression, it sounds better than what it actually does. you'll have to find out what is making you depressed and fix it. Well, make the depression better.

it could also make your depression worse. But yeah, i agree, it should have its place in the medical field for treatment.

Would be really cool if doctors actually prescribed this for depression, because then the dose , etc could be monitored by a professional. It is very difficult to self-medicate in these situations(not advised) with ketamine,because of dose, RoA, product, is VERY different and you really need a 2nd opinion/hand of eyes to safely use drugs for mental-illnesses, and BL does not count as 2nd eyes!

Any dissociative proves to be the strongest anti depressant i can think of. If im depressed in any way, it will instantly be removed for up to a month upon taking any dose of mxe or ketamine, or a high dose of dxm.

I've used ketamine and MXE for depression in the past. Usually as soon as it kicks in I begin to realize how trivial most of the things keeping me down are and think about how I can better cope with things I can't help. It's great for disrupting long bouts of depression in that way and I usually get at least one good week of feeling normal afterwards.

My brother has been diagnosed with bipolar and has also experimented with dissociatives. He described the sense of relief minutes after his first dose of ketamine as life-changing and said he was amazed to know what it was like to feel happy for the first time in a long time.

That said I can't really recommend attempting this as a treatment on your own. Both myself and my brother have gone through brief periods of dissociative abuse that negatively impacted our relationships with others. Being of the mindset that "It's helping me feel normal, it's only for treatment" made it so easy to binge without feeling guilty. I'm not saying it can't be done, as I know others even on this forum stick to regimens strictly for managing depression. I have, however, seen enough people go overboard with their use that I think a warning is necessary.

It's my understanding that there are limited (and expensive) options available for ketamine treatment in a professional setting in some parts of the United States right now. If you're really interested I'd advise looking into them.

I find high doses of ketamine can bring on depression in me after the experience, whether it's simply being so tired or some other factor I don't know

thanks for the link comfortablynumb it's very descriptive. The regimen foreigner used would be very hard to replicate without a medical professional's help though.

I know this is about Ket's ability to help with depression but from personal experience, aMT is very powerful as an antidepressant. I've only done aMT 4 times now but every single time there is this rediculous afterglow that last for about a week to ten days. The afterglow feels so natural and just so good! Nothing seems to bother me during that afterglow. I'm not sure if I prefer the aMt trip or the afterglow. The afterglow is just that good and I very much like the aMT trip!
I'm not sure if aMT is legal where you are but it actually started out as a legit antidepressant. The OP should look into it. If it's legal where you live it's pretty cheap online.

^^^ yeah aMT was a prescription antidepressant in the '90s iirc, and also Shulgin reports an antidepressant effect in tihkal

thanks for the link comfortablynumb it's very descriptive. The regimen foreigner used would be very hard to replicate without a medical professional's help though.
you're welcome man ;) if your depression is so bad you could try without medical assistance i guess. anything that can make you feel better is worth a try imho.
have you ever tried meditation?

I can't meditate very well without using weed or kratom along with some calming music. even then it's kind of hard to get to that state.

I don't have the connections to follow through with ketamine or amt (amt being illegal where I live) therapy I was just curious if it was practical or not.

I can't meditate very well without using weed or kratom along with some calming music. even then it's kind of hard to get to that state.
practice my friend. you don't have to reach a deep meditative state within your first trials. you can start with simple breath exercises.