• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Ketamine and Avoiding Withrawal Symptoms When Quitting Opiates

Bkent

Greenlighter
Hello - My first post here...I've been trying to get clean from H and have a few unsuccessful attempts, which consisted of first abstaining for 12-16 hrs, then trying subutex (had better luck w suboxone in the past) then getting precipitated WD's, getting VERY sick, and then ultimately crawling back to the H.

I've been on a gram + per day heroin habit, and I do have tons of suboxones at my disposal so I am just hoping to make it across the bridge to the other side, where I can avoid needing H and can comfortably stay on 2 or so 8 mg suboxones per day.

I am currently a functioning, 'undercover' addict; my girlfriend and family do not know, but the effects on my wallet and spending so much $ are reasons enough to quit.

One thing I've read about is ketamine and its effects on lessening WD symptoms. So my question is, does anyone have experience, or know about using K, perhaps during the first 24-36 hrs after stopping H as sort of a 'bridge' to suboxone or some way of staying clean from H?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks so much.

I've heard of people using any NMDA antagonist like ketamine with success in stopping opiate withdrawals. MXE is another popular choice in that regard. I used MXE to get through the first 24 hours of detoxing.. I could have kept taking it and it would have subsided the withdrawals, but I hated the way it was making me feel so I really didn't want to redose. Once the effects wore off, the withdrawals all came back and hit me at once like a ton of bricks. But, yes it can be done.. I've known people to perform an entire kick by using something like MXE or ketamine.

Awesome, thanks Scagnattie! I'll try using the K to get through the first couple days. Sorry if I sound dumb, but what is MXE? I've probably done it haha but don't think I've heard of it in that term...thanks again.

cant give first hand experience, but i can tell you that i have 2 friends (literally not swim) that got over their habits through k, and one now has a consistant (as in constant) k habit. i understand dxm (as in robotussin and such) can have a helpful affect lessening wd symptoms , and is also a dissacociative like k. ive always preferred dxm to k, for their intended effects. not what you were asking for, but hope it helps at all, good luck, remember, its mostly in your head, stay occupied.

actually... a gram+ a day. thats definitely not mostly in your head.. but you can get it down to a point where it will br.

I suggest using as little as the suboxone as possible. Depending on how much u take the wd can be much worse than the heroin. Good luck!

cant give first hand experience, but i can tell you that i have 2 friends (literally not swim) that got over their habits through k, and one now has a consistant (as in constant) k habit. i understand dxm (as in robotussin and such) can have a helpful affect lessening wd symptoms , and is also a dissacociative like k. ive always preferred dxm to k, for their intended effects. not what you were asking for, but hope it helps at all, good luck, remember, its mostly in your head, stay occupied.

Awesome, thanks Dr. FB yep that's definitely the goal in mind; to get through the physical part, and yes you are correct it's very very physical first and foremost at this point, as well as mental of course.

I've used K in the past (once in a blue moon now and in the past like 3-8 yrs ago more frequently) and I can say that vs. the H now is a walk in the park stopping; I didn't even consider it "detoxing" more just "stopping"...if I can get through the hell of H WD with K, that would be amazing.

Lilunwell good call on the Subs, I'll break them up into 2 mg / 1/4 pills and use as little as possible, and Scags thanks again I'll check into that.

I just wanna go on record and say you guys are awesome, and as you probably know this is priceless info for ppl like me trying to get this monkey off my back. I heard about an old friend from my hometown who died recently from H, so even with helpful info like you guys gave you never know how much you can be helping!

I'll try to keep this thread going re: my personal experience using K to stop the H, and maintain on a small Suboxone dose. I know ppl say how subs are terrible, but either way using a controlled dose of something that, for me, costs $10 - $20 per day is definitely much better than $100+ per day.

Talk to y'all soon:)

I find 4-MeO-PCP to be really good for doing a kick.

Managed to completely eliminate any WD, from as much as 140mg of IV oxy, using 4-MeO-PCP IV. And good for stomping tolerance into the ground also.

I find 4-MeO-PCP to be really good for doing a kick.

Managed to completely eliminate any WD, from as much as 140mg of IV oxy, using 4-MeO-PCP IV. And good for stomping tolerance into the ground also.

Yes. 4-MeO-PCP is another NMDA antagonist like ketamine and MXE. There are many different ones that will all do a similar thing.

I've heard of people using any NMDA antagonist like ketamine with success in stopping opiate withdrawals. MXE is another popular choice in that regard. I used MXE to get through the first 24 hours of detoxing.. I could have kept taking it and it would have subsided the withdrawals, but I hated the way it was making me feel so I really didn't want to redose. Once the effects wore off, the withdrawals all came back and hit me at once like a ton of bricks. But, yes it can be done.. I've known people to perform an entire kick by using something like MXE or ketamine.

I used MXE for a week straight in low doses to quit opiates. I was still able to function and my body didn't feel like I was getting ran over by a train anymore

How do you guys work or socialize while using dissociatives to quit opiates?

I've found K works for withdrawal (slows digestive track, numbs pain, mental relief etc) but if you have any decent tolerance you'll have to dose every hour or two. Also frequency/dose will increase the longer you try to use this route.

Personally K makes it impossible for me to sleep as well.

Cool this is all good to know thanks so much!

Personally as to the socializing I just became accustomed to it (a friend of mine used to say that I was the only one he knew who was able to talk to new girls while using K...), although definitely glad I live in a city so I don't have to drive or anything.

And I agree pyro, it's very hard for me to sleep on K but I guess I'll try some benedryl or some melatonin hopefully that will help.

Just thought of something...

Whenever I stop the K (and continue using Subs), will I then get like a delayed withdrawal? Or is it more of using the K to cross the bridge to being able to maintain on Subs?

Thanks again..

I have never done Ketamine but meth has gotten me thru heroin withdrawls. I just hate meth and wouldn't recommend it.

Don't know about ketamine but next drugs with right dosage I've found to stop/suppress severe opioid WD's almost completely (but not nausea, metoclopramide is best for that and for sleep quatapine) starting from the best drug:
Pregabalin
Phenibut
Gabapentin
Amphetamines (this varies on person, I found study that said 60% people didn't find it to help but make the WD's worse, for me it has always taken care of wd's)
GHB/GBL
Loperamide (really doesn't belong to this list as it has effects on opioid receptors by its own with high enough dose)
Baclofen (best taken with gabapentin or pregabalin)

Drugs that did not help at all:
Alcohol
Benzos

Last edited:
Alcohol is definitely dangerous in terms of hangover while also kicking opioids (few things such more than being righteously hung over and in acute withdrawal), but benzos (particularly longer acting ones such as diazepam and clonazepam) are really useful for withdrawal. Baclofen alone can also be super, super useful at moderate to high dosages. Very similar to gabapentin and pregabalin.

NMDA antagonists hell with kicking, if you can tolerate their subjective effects, in a way I have never experienced in any other drug or therapy though. They don’t do much if anything for sleep, but they can make the entire process sooooooo much less unpleasant. In my case longish acting ones will remove 95% of the discomfort of acute withdrawal without the potential for a problematic dependency (they can have a strong psychological pull for the minority that really enjoys them, but it isn’t hard to stop by any means).

That said, ketamine is so short acting that I have to redose multiple times a day. With something longer acting like DXM, it’s only once or twice at day tops. I also hear very good things about PCP and friends at lower dosages. DXM tends to require around second plateau doses to get the most benefit in withdrawal, but combining lower doses with other comfort meds can be really helpful (just have to be careful with the dose of meds used, as DXM tends to sensatize one to the effects of other substances).

Alcohol is definitely dangerous in terms of hangover while also kicking opioids (few things such more than being righteously hung over and in acute withdrawal), but benzos (particularly longer acting ones such as diazepam and clonazepam) are really useful for withdrawal. Baclofen alone can also be super, super useful at moderate to high dosages. Very similar to gabapentin and pregabalin.
I personally find benzos to make me depressed, even that they help on physical WD's a little, I actually had better mood when on cold turkey WD's than when I took benzos, some rare benzos like etizolam or midazolam do great even enjoyable effects for me. With baclofen must be careful with dosage, last time when I took them with 3,5g gabapentin, I can't recall the dosage of baclofen, but it made me feel very drunk in a bad way, and I passed out for 1 hour, and walked like very drunk person, but it all begin with nice GHB type euphoria. Just keeping the baclofen dosage moderate when taking with gabapentins at least, high dose of gabapentins alone should never cause passing out or feeling crappy, so it must be the baclofen. Didn't really try baclofen alone to tell about the effects.

Also methaqualone or etaqualone I think would help to suppress the WD's greatly but they should be pretty hard to get in the most parts of world.

Just need to remember not to use gabab-drugs longer than 2 weeks straight, need to have break after that, or might get some minor WD's from them, at least using GBL 10 days straight 24/7 use didn't produce any noticeable WD'S. It lost it's good effect on the 7th day, so there isn't any reason to use longer than that really, it's really great to give you big appetite just like pregablin/phenibut/gabapentin does. Quitting 2 weeks use will most likely give you some real insomnia. Also GHB/GBL didn't seem to have any cross-tolerance/dependence quality with pregabalin or gabapentin, so it's safe to change between them.

Last edited: