View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines Kava potentiates and lengthens the SHIT out of DMT

BourbonMac

Bluelighter
I know there is some MAO activity in kava, MAO-B or something, I don't know. I can't believe how long I end up tripping when I drink kava first. I don't know if it potentiates but... I just had my first complete breakthrough and am speechless. It's been 40 minutes and I'm still tripping, damn... I can't really say much. There is an interaction, that's all I know. I can't even believe what just happened.

I do also take black seed oil extract at night which is a mild MAOI. So is passionflower which I have yet to start taking again after wisdom tooth surgery, it's a bit of a blood thinner though I'm mostly recovered. Wow, what the fuck. It's been 45 minutes, when will it end? Everything is transparent

Update: so it took 1 hour to stop tripping. There is 100% an interaction going on here. I did this last summer all the time and it was standard 10-15 minute trips. The intensity lasted 15-20, I mean I can't really keep track there, I went into this paisley dimension of fractal images and just lost myself. Music was playing, but it was transparent, it was coming from somewhere and nowhere... yeah, if you know you know. I don't think this is necessary every time you do DMT, but I didn't intend or expect this to happen. I thought it was a weaker pen than last time, but I think it's both stronger and kava is interacting, I took the BSO last summer too, it has to be the kava. I don't know much about MAO-B and its interaction with psychedelics, there isn't really any data and I doubt any kava drinkers are using DMT after, kava people just like to drink kava or do kratom or get baked I think.

My first trip back after nearly 8 months without kava, I had a normal length trip. The last 2 times I've had kava, this time more than yesterday (2g extract, 20g medium grind). It's been giving me dry skin lately so I don't think it's worth iti at the moment. But I'm curious enough to do more kava and see if it extends it even longer. The trip I had today and yesterday were the longest DMT trips I've ever had, an hour to come down. I did a 50mg dose at once before and was still back by 20 minutes, it was a waiting room hell trip, but then again it was only my 3rd. Some people say you just have to do it, I think you can get used to it and then going higher is easier to face.

Anyway, that's my anecdotal experience. If you drink kava and have DMT I'd say give it a try and see if you have the same reaction.

Last edited:
Interesting. Thanks.

Since kava is such a great calming herb, people might be tempted to take it with other drugs to prevent anxiety. This is probably a mistake.

Although I have used kava when I was too stoned. It helped.

Ok so I might have been misunderstanding something.
Kava isn't referred to as an MAOI, but the alkaloids do inhibit MAO-B and very lightly MAO-A. So this is just what MAOIs do, right? I just couldn't find anything, like google says it has properties similar to an MAOI but isn't an MAOI, and the alkaloids all act on MAO-B (and very lightly, MAO-A with kavain)

It doesnt have to be an maoi to potentiate DMT, it might just affect a certain receptor that DMT also wprks on.

I don't know if potentiate is the word, do MAOIs really "potentiate" DMT or just lengthen it?
In any case... I did a minimum 20g medium grind tonight. I've been tripping for about 50 minutes. The intense part was around 20. I'm just very confused and everything is trailing. I can't believe it's not wearing off. I need to experiment with higher doses of kava to see if I can get it to last 2 hours or something. But... yeah, this works, it really does. I'd urge any kava users who might have DMT to combine the two, it's unreal. This was such a weird trip. I didn't break through like last night, actually, it seemed to take a little more, and then suddenly everything became warped out of all comprehension. Everything looked... wrong, this is one of the strangest trips I've had. Are DMT trips generally different every time for people? I'd imagine so.

Are DMT trips generally different every time for people? I'd imagine so.
Ime even a lot more than most psychedelics.

And adding any/most drugs in mix to psychedelics can have profound change in experience. I bet if you would do kava with shrooms or something you would have a lot stronger/different experience than usually and very possible it would influence in a similar way even psychedelics not directly influenced by MAO.

So in all it took about 80 minutes until I felt I'd really come down. Tripped pretty hard for a half hour and then it was like I was on 2.5g of mushrooms or something for awhile, and then just general confusion. I got baked afterward and the high was more visual as usual. Getting baked enough has always given me mild visual distortions and CEVs (spurred on more by the fact that I did DMT a month straight last summer and then ate mushrooms a lot the next month). Sometimes psychedelics just change the effects of THC forever to an extent.

I can definitely conclude this works. I'd again recommend anyone try this. Probably if you have kava you don't have DMT, but if you have DMT, get some kava.

Interesting.

I'm thinking of potentially combining kava with 5-meo-DMT at some point in the future.

LSD & 5-meo-DMT is a beautiful combination.

I think potentiate may've been the wrong word, all I know is it extended my trips by a fucking lot. I miss those days, I did DMT so much March - early June, multiple times a week just blasting the hell off. A friend of mine is talking about making more, he has enough to make 32 more grams, I'd buy it all.

I know there is some MAO activity in kava, MAO-B or something, I don't know. I can't believe how long I end up tripping when I drink kava first. I don't know if it potentiates but... I just had my first complete breakthrough and am speechless. It's been 40 minutes and I'm still tripping, damn... I can't really say much. There is an interaction, that's all I know. I can't even believe what just happened.

I do also take black seed oil extract at night which is a mild MAOI. So is passionflower which I have yet to start taking again after wisdom tooth surgery, it's a bit of a blood thinner though I'm mostly recovered. Wow, what the fuck. It's been 45 minutes, when will it end? Everything is transparent

Update: so it took 1 hour to stop tripping. There is 100% an interaction going on here. I did this last summer all the time and it was standard 10-15 minute trips. The intensity lasted 15-20, I mean I can't really keep track there, I went into this paisley dimension of fractal images and just lost myself. Music was playing, but it was transparent, it was coming from somewhere and nowhere... yeah, if you know you know. I don't think this is necessary every time you do DMT, but I didn't intend or expect this to happen. I thought it was a weaker pen than last time, but I think it's both stronger and kava is interacting, I took the BSO last summer too, it has to be the kava. I don't know much about MAO-B and its interaction with psychedelics, there isn't really any data and I doubt any kava drinkers are using DMT after, kava people just like to drink kava or do kratom or get baked I think.

My first trip back after nearly 8 months without kava, I had a normal length trip. The last 2 times I've had kava, this time more than yesterday (2g extract, 20g medium grind). It's been giving me dry skin lately so I don't think it's worth iti at the moment. But I'm curious enough to do more kava and see if it extends it even longer. The trip I had today and yesterday were the longest DMT trips I've ever had, an hour to come down. I did a 50mg dose at once before and was still back by 20 minutes, it was a waiting room hell trip, but then again it was only my 3rd. Some people say you just have to do it, I think you can get used to it and then going higher is easier to face.

Anyway, that's my anecdotal experience. If you drink kava and have DMT I'd say give it a try and see if you have the same reaction.
DMT is metabolized by CYP2D6 and Kava is a potent inhibitor of CYP2D6 (73%) by one study. “kava has been associated with potent inhibition of the cytochrome P450 enzymes, including 3A4,1A2, 2C9, 2C19, 2D6, and 4A9/11, Whole kava extract caused concentration-dependent decreases in enzyme activities, with significant inhibition of the activities of CYP1A2 (56% inhibition), 2C9 (92%), 2C19 (86%), 2D6 (73%), 3A4 (78%), and 4A9/11 (65%).”