• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Journalist request, National Public Radio

Jasmine_Garsd

Bluelighter
Hi,

I'm a reporter with National Public Radio, working on a story about heroin in America. I'm looking to interview users or former users, who can speak about their experience. I can promise you anonymity if you so desire, and I can assure you a respectful conversation and treatment of the topic. If you are interested, please contact me.

Thank you.
Jasmine

Jasmine,

I would be interested in speaking with you, though I will want to remain anonymous. Are you able to send me a PM on bluelight to get in touch?

Im also planning on speaking with Jasmine. I belive this is a very good way to get the real story out.

I would like to speak to you as well jasmine.

Please PM me as well. I adore National Public Radio and have been an active listener for 13 years. This would be a dream come true for me! My favorite station is WBEZ out of Chicago. I would love a chance to be interviewed. I'm a former user, I started in Chicago and have been clean from it for 3 years.

Hi. Apologies for the delay-- I've sent you an email. And yes, anonymity is guaranteed. Looking forward to your response.

Hi Jasmine,

I have never used heroin, but I have some knowledge and opinions about it that I would like to share. (This is partly because I love NPR and partly because I have put so many hours into researching drugs in the past decades that I worry that a typical reporter cannot possibly do enough to get a balanced view for the purposes of one story. I have seen too many under-informed, biased articles on drugs.) I will be as brief as I can.

First, pharmaceutical-quality heroin is a relatively safe drug. I learned in a psychology class at UC Berkeley that brain scans of people addicted to heroin for the final 20 years of their lives show nothing abnormal and nothing that marks even such a long-term addiction. The main danger is with overdosing, but this is minimized if users are assured of the quality. With drugs bought on the street, however, users can't know how pure it is, and because it is usually cut, when they suddenly get a pure batch of heroin it is easy to use too much (and OD).

Second, when someone ODs on heroin, their friends are often scared to call for help, because of the legal implications of being with someone who used heroin. This leads to more deaths as people ignore the situation, wait too long to call for help, or try to dump their friend at an emergency room without staying to tell doctors the cause of the problem.

Therefore, the majority of heroin deaths are a direct result of its illegality.

Heroin is a drug, like tylenol and aspirin, that relieves pain. Human beings often have pain, as I am sure you have noticed. To be human is to suffer, at least sometimes. For some people, tylenol and aspirin are not enough to cover the pain. Those who come back from a war with PTSD, those who were abused, and many others have enormous pain. They should seek therapy and other help, but there can be a stigma against seeing a therapist, and prescription drugs to cover the pain are often more expensive than heroin, which is one reason why so many turn to heroin. They are seeking relief from their pain. The obvious legal option, drinking alcohol, does not do it for some, and alcohol is a dangerous drug as well - even more dangerous than heroin, according to Dr. David Nutt.

There is absolutely nothing about heroin use that is related to morality. Except possibly one thing: it is illegal. (But not everything that is illegal is immoral, and not everything immoral is illegal, as I hope you have noticed.) Otherwise, using heroin does not make anyone bad, weak, or worthless - despite what many in the media seem to want people to believe. Addicts deserve compassion and help, not punishment and imprisonment.

Finally, I will point you to a really good source for information about heroin: https://www.erowid.org/chemicals/heroin/heroin.shtml

I hope your research goes will and I am praying that you can take an approach to this topic that portrays users as human beings who are suffering, not as "bad people" who deserve punishment.

Hi,

I'm a reporter with National Public Radio, working on a story about heroin in America. I'm looking to interview users or former users, who can speak about their experience. I can promise you anonymity if you so desire, and I can assure you a respectful conversation and treatment of the topic. If you are interested, please contact me.

Thank you.
Jasmine

Thank you for treating us with unprejudiced fidelity - means a lot to me at least; much obliged, good day.

Same. This seems to be on the level. Hopefully others that hear this will speak up. Being marginalized for something in my past is becoming boring, and this may be the interview that can change some peoples minds.