• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Jeff Sessions Warns Of An America With ‘Marijuana Sold At Every Corner Grocery Store’

avcpl

Bluelighter
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ana-grocery-store_us_58b58d8de4b0a8a9b7863d93

Attorney General Jeff Sessions is doubling down on his crusade against marijuana legalization.

Sessions, a longtime opponent of marijuana use, warned Tuesday easing access to the drug could lead to local supermarkets selling cannabis.

“States can pass whatever laws they choose,” Sessions told a crowd of attorneys general at the National Association of Attorneys General Winter Meeting. “But I’m not sure we’re going to be a better, healthier nation if we have marijuana being sold at every corner grocery store.”

Sessions then appeared to criticize a column The Washington Post published Tuesday by Sam Kamin, professor of marijuana law and policy at the University of Denver. In the op-ed, Kamin argues that the opioid crisis is “a reason to expand access to marijuana rather than to contract it.” A 2016 study from Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health found “adverse consequences of opioid use” decreased over time in states where marijuana is legalized as individuals substituted marijuana for opioids to treat pain.

But Sessions scoffed at Kamin’s reasoning.

“Give me a break,” Sessions said. “This is the kind of argument that has been out there. [It’s] almost a desperate attempt to defend the harmlessness of marijuana or even benefits. I doubt that’s true. Maybe science will prove me wrong. ... My best view is that we don’t need to be legalizing marijuana.”

Tom Angell, chairman of drug policy reform group Marijuana Majority, called Sessions’ opiate comments “ridiculous.”

“Several studies have already shown that states with legal marijuana access see reduced opioid problems,” Angell said in a statement Tuesday. “If the attorney general really cares about public health and safety, he’ll stop relying on ‘alternative facts’ ... This administration should respect science and, at the very least, needs to uphold the president’s repeated campaign pledges to respect state cannabis laws.”

Nationwide support for marijuana legalization is at a record high. A survey from Quinnipiac University released last week found 71 percent of American voters want the federal government to respect state marijuana laws.

Still, the White House appears to be preparing for a crackdown on recreational cannabis. White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer said last week that states with legalized marijuana legislation will see “greater enforcement” of federal laws surrounding the plant ― a move that could shatter President Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign promise to honor state marijuana laws.

On Monday, Sessions decried marijuana legalization to reporters at the Justice Department, claiming “real violence” can be attributed to the “current levels of THC in marijuana.”

“I don’t think America is going to be a better place when people of all ages, and particularly young people, are smoking pot,” Sessions said. “I believe it’s an unhealthy practice, and current levels of THC in marijuana are very high compared to what they were a few years ago, and we’re seeing real violence around that.”

On Monday, Sessions decried marijuana legalization to reporters at the Justice Department, claiming “real violence” can be attributed to the “current levels of THC in marijuana.”

“I don’t think America is going to be a better place when people of all ages, and particularly young people, are smoking pot,” Sessions said. “I believe it’s an unhealthy practice, and current levels of THC in marijuana are very high compared to what they were a few years ago, and we’re seeing real violence around that.”

lol, I recall so many trying to convince me to vote for Trump because "he would appoint the best people for the jobs".

I agree... Totally unfair for the liquor merchants as their monopoly on every corner will be in limbo..

Last edited:
Jeff Sessions is a fucking moron, which is why he fits right in with Trump and his cabinet.

jeff_sessions_weed-620x412.jpg

America must “put bad men behind bars” again: Jeff Sessions’ law and order crackdown may include marijuana

Sessions, who last year claimed that “good people don’t smoke marijuana,” baselessly asserted on Tuesday, “We’re seeing real violence around that.”

According to Politico, Sessions told reporters on Tuesday that “experts are telling me there’s more violence around marijuana than one would think and there’s big money involved.”

The attorney general said he is reviewing the Justice Department’s current policy about enforcing federal laws prohibiting possession of marijuana but has made no decision about whether to become tougher.

“I’m definitely not a fan of expanded use of marijuana,” he said. “I don’t think America will be a better place when more people, especially young people, smoke pot.”

The current policy, spelled out in a 2013 memo from James Cole, the former deputy attorney general, said federal prosecutions would focus on distribution to minors, the involvement of gangs or organized crime and growing marijuana plants on federal land.

“It remains a violation of federal law,” Sessions reminded reporters.

But Marijuana Majority chair Tom Angell told The Huffington Post that “by talking about marijuana and violence, the attorney general is inadvertently articulating the strongest argument that exists for legalization. . . . The only connection between marijuana and violence is the one that exists when illegal sellers battle it out for profits in the black market.”

According to a 2014 study in JAMA Internal Medicine, from 1999 to 2010 states with medical marijuana laws experienced about 25 percent fewer opiate overdose deaths than those without such legislation. Months after Colorado legalized recreational use in 2014, the Denver Police Department reported a quarterly drop in violent crime and property crime. On Tuesday Sessions, however, spoke sympathetically about Nebraska’s filing a lawsuit to block the flow of marijuana from Colorado.

The day before Sessions made clear that the Justice Department planned to reverse six years of litigation to switch sides in a legal battle over Texas’ strict voter-ID law.

http://www.salon.com/2017/02/28/ame...-and-order-crack-down-will-include-marijuana/

"We are seeing real violence around that"

You mean proabition and the black market it creates?

good job trump voters. good job. And good job democrats, staying fucking home watching news bitching about trump, and transgenders instead of voting.

There already is marijuan at every corner grocery store you fucking moron sessions. right outside the store the guy hanging out on the corner is selling it.

Also there are synthetic cannabinoids 10X stronger inside of every corner grocer.

Anyone thinking THC causes people to be violent has absolutely no clue. Its the opposite effect. liquor on the other hand.

Kratom is definitely done for. I'm ordering two kilos asap

I really do not believe that even this idiot (appointed by the even bigger idiot and confirmed into his position by the academy of dunces aka the Republican congress) can undo the momentum of the states that have already passed into state law recreational marijuana. Hopefully I am not just being naive but if nothing else these states are going to raise hell over the lost tax revenue.

^ I've often said the momentum is so strong it would be like one man trying to stop a locomotive with one hand. Not happening. Nothing is happening to kratom either. They may try, but they already did and got letters from congressman and senators. Hell, even Orrin Hatch wrote the DEA and asked to back off a kratom ban. A Republican senator! I never thought I'd see that.

Also I read some Republican congressman from the legal states sat Sessions down and said they would vote him in if he leaves the million/billion dollar cannabis industry alone. You can't renege on things like that.

Saying all that f*ck this guy. He will get eaten.

I thought republicans respextend states rights? Oh only when they agree with them I guess. I'm from Alabama and can assure you Jeff Sessions is 100 percent for a return to the 1950s america. Where minorities know there place and only the upper classes can get drugs.

^sounds good if we're all upper-class, amirite?

I like the new Daily Show joke that Sessions is actually a Keebler elf.

It wouldnt be on "every corner" it will be inside of designated shops like distilled liquor. Is it so hard to make that connection? Why isnt alcohol destroying everyone its already "on every corner?"

^Well, one could certainly make the argument that in neighborhoods where alcohol is sold on every corner (the hood), it is destroying everyone. But that's not just the alcohol...

Every time I see that "every corner grocery store" line I smile. It just seems like such a good idea. Except in my neck of the woods I drive past at least a dozen cannabis farms before I even get to a small country store.

Jeff Sessions Wants to Bring Back 'Just Say No'

Attorney General Jeff Sessions laid out a three-pronged approach to combatting illicit drug use today at the New Hampshire Youth Summit on Opioid Awareness.

"There are three main ways to fight back against this problem," Sessions said in his prepared remarks. "Prevention, criminal enforcement and treatment."

In contast with federal drug officials under Obama, Sessions doesn't seem too keen on treatment:

Treatment is also important, but treatment often comes too late. Individuals have already lost their jobs and flunked their tests. Then the struggle to defeat addiction can be a long process – and it can fail. Experts will tell you that recovery is not certain. For many, addiction can be a death sentence.

I have seen families spend all their savings and retirement money on treatment programs for their children—just to see these programs sometimes fail.

Ramped-up enforcement, however, is something he's much more enthusiastic about: "The President has issued an Executive Order to the Department of Justice to dismantle these organizations and gangs. We are going to get rid of them. Of that you can be sure."

Sessions also called for a revival of late 80s/early 90s anti-drug marketing, the most famous example of which is former First Lady Nancy Reagan's "Just Say No" campaign:

The most effective solution in the 1980s and early '90s—when, for example, we saw a significant decline in teen drug use—was the Prevention Campaign. People began to stop using drugs. Drug users were not cool. Crime fell dramatically, and addiction fell too.

The National Institute for Drug Abuse reported this past December—as in, three months ago—that past-year use of illicit drugs among eighth, 10th, and 12th graders "continu[es] to decline to the lowest level in the history of the survey." Meanwhile, buckets of studies have shown that Just Say No-era anti-drug programming doesn't work.

http://reason.com/blog/2017/03/07/jeff-sessions-wants-to-bring-back-just-s

He's going to get rid of gangs an drugs? Trump and his "really amazing brain" came up with a way to do so that hasn't been though of in the past fifty years of trying to prevent drugs and gangs?

Prevention = make it impossible for chronic pain patients to ever get opiates legally again

I want to know what he's smoking where he thinks "just say no" worked because the 80's and 90's had hella drug use.

He's got bigger problems now. Apperantly he met with the Russians and lied about it under oath that's called perjury.

They know just say no doesn't work. They just want to keep up the war on the poor.