View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Jasmine and DMT smell

harmor

Greenlighter
Hi everyone, this is my first and probably last thread here. I just wanted to share what did i found out today and I would like to hear what do you think about It and if you have any more information about this topic. So today I was visiting my parents and while I was walking into their bedroom, Ive noticed extremely strong smell of DMT... I was like, woaah what is that? Ive never smelled anything similar to DMT, maybe a shoe wax or burned tire but those wasnt close to dmt, anyway... Ive started smelling everything around and found dried jasmine flowers from our garden in a vase, the smell was 1:1 and I was extremely surprised, I didnt know what those flowers were called so I asked my mother and she told me thats a jasmine from our garden, after that I was heading to the garden to smell those flowers because I was 100% sure I smelled them before and the smell was nothing like those in parents bedroom. Ive found them and smelled, the smell was not like those in bedroom, very different in fact. My mother told me those in a vase are here for atleast 5 days and they looked little dried. Ive started my own research on jasmine and dmt correlations and found nearly nothing except one thread in forum that is not much informative. Anyway what do you think, could jasmine contain a lot of DMT? Ive read that it contains Ibogaine too? Can you extract anything from this plant? Or maybe you could trip on it in some way? This needs vast research, i bet all the information on web is blocked like it was with amanita muscaria (amanita grow like weeds and everyone says its extremely toxic, while in fact its super medicine used by our grandparents)

Last edited:
The free base of DMT smells in a very special way, sometimes reminds me of the smell of new shoes or cheap rubber to make handles. It is a very "floral" smell. It is not surprising that you find some aromas similar to DMT.

In any case, there is no direct relationship between the odor and the compound. Therefore, that jasmine smells like DMT does not prove that they contain DMT at all. In fact, neither Mimosa Hostilis nor Acacia Confusa in its vegetable form smells like DMT and are plants that contain a high percentage.

DocLad

That's interesting. I could kind of see the similarity between the smell of a Mimosa hostilis full-spectrum DMT extraction, but the smell of synthetic DMT smells has a kind of acrid, nasty, plastic tryptamine base smell to me that's nothing like jasmine. Funny how senses are so subjective - I still think it smells better than cilantro...

The free base of DMT smells in a very special way, sometimes reminds me of the smell of new shoes or cheap rubber to make handles. It is a very "floral" smell. It is not surprising that you find some aromas similar to DMT.

In any case, there is no direct relationship between the odor and the compound. Therefore, that jasmine smells like DMT does not prove that they contain DMT at all. In fact, neither Mimosa Hostilis nor Acacia Confusa in its vegetable form smells like DMT and are plants that contain a high percentage.

DocLad

My point is Ive smelled things that are SIMILAR to DMT. Jasmine doesnt smell like DMT actually. But those 5 days-dried flowers smell EXACTLY like DMT. Ive been sitting like psycho sniffing those flowers because they smell exactly the same. More to that if you google Jasmine and dmt you will find one thread (Im not sure I can post links to other forums here) where one guy says he always adds jasmine flowers to his changa blend and those blends were always sublime. Also in that thread other guy says it contains Ibogaine, while researching those facts i found nothing at all, only those forum posts. P.S. Maybe if we take Mimosa hostilis or Acacia Confusa and prepare them in special way (maybe let them dry out for some time or something else) it will give the smell of DMT?

DMT is an indole, jasmine contains indolic compounds, and traces of skatole and indole are used in jasmine type perfumes, and presumably present in jasmine essential oil. Skatole, indole smell of faecal matter in higher concentrations, in lower ones by far, they smell jasmine-like rather than like a big squelchy dollop of steaming dog theresa may.

My point is Ive smelled things that are SIMILAR to DMT. Jasmine doesnt smell like DMT actually. But those 5 days-dried flowers smell EXACTLY like DMT. Ive been sitting like psycho sniffing those flowers because they smell exactly the same. More to that if you google Jasmine and dmt you will find one thread (Im not sure I can post links to other forums here) where one guy says he always adds jasmine flowers to his changa blend and those blends were always sublime. Also in that thread other guy says it contains Ibogaine, while researching those facts i found nothing at all, only those forum posts. P.S. Maybe if we take Mimosa hostilis or Acacia Confusa and prepare them in special way (maybe let them dry out for some time or something else) it will give the smell of DMT?

The roots of Mimosa Hostilis and Acacia confusa come dry and ground. They doN't smell DMT freebase at all.

On the other hand, in my city there is a bazaar where they sell tools made with rubber handles. They smell exactly like DMT freebase. =D

DocLad

Last edited:
I dont know guys, the illuminati could be suppressing this information. I hear Jasmine is very important in Donald Trumps bath blend...

I too find the smell of extracted DMT freebase to be very, very similar to dried jasmine flowers or jasmine essential oil.

Limpet_Chicken's explanation is spot on with Skatole found in Jasmine and other flowers extracts. I didn't know that but looking at the molecular structure of both DMT and Skatole, it makes perfect sense! :)

I'm certain that pure Dmt is odorless. After having done many extractions and analyzing all my samples I can affirm it. 96% of Dmt free base still has this characteristic odor but it is not as pervasive as the purity of 85%.
The explanation of the Skatole makes a lot of sense to me for this reason, although in popular culture we refer to this smell "Odor to Dmt".
If you clean the Dmt with Hexane the odor will disappear with each wash but never completely, it's an impurity that is generated constantly although I don't know what reactions intervene in the process.
It's incredible that such a small impurity can smell so strong.

Volsam, you've bombed the psychodelic sub-forum this morning hahaha, you're an enthusiast.

It is a privilege that you are in the forum.

DocLad

Last edited:
Volsam, you've bombed the psychodelic sub-forum this morning hahaha, you're an enthusiast.

It is a privilege that you are in the forum.

DocLad

Thank you for the heartwarming message, DocLad! I love you all guys! :)
I wish I had more time for everything!...8)

Thank you for the heartwarming message, DocLad! I love you all guys! :)
I wish I had more time for everything!...8)

Yes I understand. I also live with that feeling that life is too short for everything I want to do. :)

DocLad

Yeah synthetic DMT does have a much more faint smell.. I guess extracts tend to have some other indoles in there, not sure if it is exactly skatole but could be a close relative..

Skatole smells like shit in high concentrations but floral in lower concentrations I believe.. probably something to do with affinity for different olfactory sites and a threshold.. You can tell em that next time someone says your shit doesn't smell like flowers...

Pure DMT has no smell as far as I can tell. Whether extracted or synthetic..

It only takes the smallest amount of impurity though to cause that smell. I've had people try and tell me my DMT wasn't real because it was devoid of that smell. Those few poor souls missed out.

There is different "DMT smells" too depending on the impurity present, they all are similar yet different. Kind of like comparing safrole and MDP2P or other similar precursors, they're smell is similar yet different.

I do know the yellow oil which can come along in mimosa or acacia confusa has a distinct "lilac" smell to me. I've played with lilacs before trying to obtain essential oils and that smell is very close. I love that smell but again it means your likely smelling some impure DMT.

With that said some extracted DMT from Chaliponga also smells like "DMT" but doesn't have the same floral lilac smell, from my memory it's more spice like but maybe I need to pull a little out and check that.

Either way doc made a good point, just cuz it smells like it doesn't mean it contains it. Back when I used lots of cocaine EVERYTHING smelled like it and I'd even get a little high from the smell. After my first mind blowing experience with 5-mapb the factory on my way to work every morning would smell just like it, and as much as I wish they were cooking up some peebs I highly doubt it lol.

-GC

So true about cocaine smell... just the smell of it would bring about a reaction in me that was quite pleasurable. Interestingly similar with the smell of the Changa I currently have. I love the smell of it!

Consequently, G-Chem, maybe you will remember this better than me. I remember in my Advanced synthesis class there was this compound, that used to smell totally awful in this weird sort of frightening nauseous sort of way. Kinda sour, but also totally weird. I was putting new rod holders on my boat the other day and the fiberglass coming off the drill smelled like it and brought back those memories! I want to say it was a pyrrole or similar....

weird how smell is so powerful to our memories and expectations

Fishy but acrid and viscerally stomach turning? if its name sounded like pyrrole, could have been pyridine, that smells sharp, acrid and just...sickening, its the stuff they put in methylated spirits to make it not only poisonous due to the MeOH in it, but to warn people and make sure they physically couldn't manage to drink it. I've never smelled pyrrole, but it probably stinks pretty damn badly too since it is somewhat related to pyridine.

N-methylpyrrolidone perhaps? never smelled it, I'm going from structural analogies to pyridine, I do have a bottle of the stuff in my lab, but I've never smelled it, since I haven't opened it yet, it is used for paint stripper, and presumably thinning it, and removing gloves.

The substance you were working with though....isocyanide (isonitrile) maybe? they are like that, unspeakably, virulently, horrifyingly foul, you could replicate an isocyanide by adding a primary amine to chloroform with caustic soda added to it, this produces dichlorocarbene, which reacts with the amine to produce an isocyanide, and the smell is so distinctive and so heinously vile that the production of an abominable stench from the bowels of the bowels of satan's personal rectum-farm is used as a diagnostic test.

Its not really possible to describe the way isocyanides smell, you can't compare them to anything but other isocyanides, unique, and viscerally atrocious. Not so much as a horrible foul stench, but more like nasal rape by a HIV-positive islamic jihadist followed by having your face repeatedly stamped on and smashed in with a claw-hammer.

If you want to try comparing the smell to an isocyanide, you can make the chloroform by using the haloform reaction on acetone, using hypochlorite bleach, it does get pretty hot, its quite exothermic and yields aren't great based on acetone as the limiting reagent, but you would only need a small quantity to perform the reaction.

And DON'T add the amine indoors!!!!! the stink will hang around tenaciously, and the isocyanides are some of the foulest things a chemist could ever hope not to have to encounter. To quote from wikipedia:

Their disagreeable odour is legendary. To quote from Lieke, "Es besitzt einen penetranten, h?chst unangenehmen Geruch; das Oeffnen eines Gef?sses mit Cyanallyl reicht hin, die Luft eines Zimmers mehrere Tage lang zu verpesten, ..." (It has a penetrating, extremely unpleasant odour; the opening of a flask of allyl [iso]cyanide is enough to foul up the air in a room for several days). Note that in Lieke's day, the difference between isocyanide and nitrile was not fully appreciated.

Ivar Karl Ugi states that "The development of the chemistry of isocyanides has probably suffered only little delay through the characteristic odor of volatile isonitriles, which has been described by Hofmann and Gautier as 'highly specific, almost overpowering', 'horrible', and 'extremely distressing'. It is true that many potential workers in this field have been turned away by the odour, but this is heavily outweighed by the fact that isonitriles can be detected even in traces, and that most of the routes leading to the formation of isonitriles were discovered through the odor of these compounds."[5] Isocyanides have been investigated as potential non-lethal weapons''

I really feel sorry for Ivar Ugi, father of the Ugi bis-amide synthesis, which employs stoichiometric quantities of an isocyanide, and have heard more than a few tales of people in uni labs where isocyanides have been synthesized or used, being shunned by their fellow chemists, I've never done a Ugi reaction myself in my home lab, but I'm bloody glad of that fact and its one reaction that I never, EVER want to have to employ. The merest trace of an isocyanide is truly one of the most hideously offensive stenches you can imagine. Only a thousand times worse. Makes mercaptans (thiols, R-SH, the sulfur analog to an alcohol or phenol, where oxygen is replaced by sulfur, and the odour of which is nigh on legendary for their gutwrenching, sickening, stygian reek) smell like fucking perfume. (I hate perfume anyway, I'm autistic, and its one of those sensory things, but you get the idea) Mercaptans smell like rotting flesh and shit, and the stench, even in traces, really carries a long way, but they have nothing on isocyanides.

Limpet, thank you for spreading so many curious and interesting things.
Anyway, this smell that you describe has some direct relation with the smell of DMT and its possible impurities?

DocLad

You mean isocyanides? god no. I meant the heinous stench the guy was describing while mentioning pyrrole, due to its indescribable nature. Pyridine, etc. one can actually compare to other things, same to mercaptans, hydrogen sulfide, alkyl sulfides, selenides, phosphine, pentaborane (like milk that someone pissed in and left to ferment in a sunny area open to the air), you can compare these to other chemicals or natural items, isocyanides are just....they stink like isocyanides, and about all you can say about the smell is 'fucking chriHOOOORRKKKHHHHBLLLERRGGGHHH' as you are busy vomiting out of your nose and quite possibly your arse and eyesockets simultaneously. Plenty epithets are applicable to them, but none of them actually describe the subjective nature of the stench, only 'traumatic' and 'psychologically scarring', but not WHAT they smell OF, other than another isocyanide.

The smell of DMT, well, its indolic, and indoles often have a funky smell. Skatole, for example, as mentioned, in tiny quantities, its used to give a jasmine scent in perfumes, same with indole, but in any but minuscule quantities it stinks like (literally) shit.

As for the curious and interesting....well I find a great deal of things interesting, I am and always have been a polymath (one of the very few things I am NOT interested in, is mathematics, being severely dyscalculic, whilst I love nothing better than popping up to my lab and whipping out the flasks, condensers, distillation adapters and vacuum pump etc., doing the calculations requisite to perform my art is hell on earth, it quite literally makes my head ache, and feel as if its spinning in several directions at once. I HATE math. It is something I must employ, but the very thought makes me sick quite honestly), ever since I was a pre-teen, I've been into chemistry, experimenting away with everything from phosphorus allotropes (if I had to pick one, my favourite element would be phosphorus, for the fascinating varied number of allotropic forms and polymorphs, the runner up being tellurium for its sheer beauty as native crystals, and in third place, either the 'metallic' form of arsenic, selenium or elemental silicon (I've got some nice pretty spheroidal crystals of silicon, with little pits all over the surface, that look great, and have a quite delightful sensory feel to them, that I prepared via a metallothermic reduction of acid-precipitated silica, made from potassium silicate reacted with concentrated sulfuric acid, then washed thoroughly and dried, to give an extremely fine precipitate of silica, mixed with aluminium dust, loaded in a carbon crucible, set on fire and quickly, whilst wearing welding goggles, capped, handling the crucible lid with pliers and being bloody quick about it, and there, after the slag had been chipped away, the resulting nuggets were tested with concentrated caustic alkali, with the result being not one whit of a hydrogen bubble forthcoming)

The smell of DMT, is due to its indolic character and likely impurities, it doesn't take much at all of some of the simple indoles to have a distinct and obvious odour. Personally, I love the scent and taste of vaporized DMT.