• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

I've been on Valium for the past week?

dammitbobbeh

Greenlighter
So for the past week or so I've been a daily dose of about 15-20mg of Valium. Last weekend I snorted some lines of coke & now I've been taking 5mg of Valium daily but today I felt like utter shit. Almost like a hangover. It's been about 4 days since I did coke, might it be because of that? Or because of the decrease of Valium? Or both? I've read horror stories of quitting valium which is why I'm scared but I've only been on it for a week. How should I go about tapering off safely? Thanks.

Yes, probably a hangover from the mini drug binge. It isn't necessary to taper off valium after only using it for a week.

I would just give it time, if you feel the need to take valium try 2.5mg or lower.

There shouldn't really be much of a problem dropping from 20mgs a day to 5mgs a day on valium. I know a tolerance can build fairly quickly but not to the extent of causing you problems if you stopped. If your using something daily and mixing in other substances then its normal to feel a bit rough the second week into your binge. Its a good indicator to give yourself a break.

(moved from Homeless)

Wouldn't even bother tapering TBH - 1 week is nothing. You might get cravings for it (depending on your personality and situation), but I highly doubt you will have developed any physical dependence to it. Nothing noticeable anyway.

Some people get dealt a really bad hand in terms of hangovers. I could always drink about a fifth of liquor and do a gram or more of coke when I was in high school, wake up the next morning and feel fine if not good. Others I have known really can't handle drug/alcohol hangovers and get sick either presently or the morning after from drinking 8 beers. Everybody's metabolism and body works differently.

You're taking low-moderate diazepam (Valium) and should have little to nothing to worry about in terms of withdrawal. The diazepam if anything, should be making you feel better due to its long half-life and what sounds like you're relative naivite to the substance.

If I were you guy, I would avoid cocaine as it sounds like it doesn't agree with you. I personally don't like cocaine either, unless it's going into my cubital. Also, use the benzodiazepines in a responsible manner, again as it sounds like you're relatively new to the stuff. Addiction/dependence is possible and withdrawal can rear its ugly head much faster than you would think. Also, make sure you are in control of your acute dosage, you wouldn't want to wake up in handcuffs or the drunk tank now would you?

20 mg of diazepam is like 1 mg of alprazolam (xanax). I agree with everyone else, after only a week you shouldn't need to taper at all. Why do you take valium, is it for anxiety? If it is you're probably just suffering some rebound anxiety from cutting the dosage, but you won't be in withdrawals.