• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

It's Really Easy to Create Your Very Own Legal High

cdin

Moderator: H&R; Discord Administrator
Staff member
http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/its-really-easy-to-create-your-very-own-legal-high

Pick a banned drug, any banned drug. Perform a slight molecular twist. Find a lab—probably somewhere in China—that's down to pump out a bunch of this stuff et voilà, you've got yourself a new, legal version of that illegal substance.

So goes the reportage in the sort of breathless and oftentimes inaccurate (or straight up untrue) press and television coverage we've come to expect in the wake of overdoses and psychological traumas wrought on by whichever so-called new psychoactive substance is hot at any given moment. But is inventing and manufacturing a perfectly legal version, or analogue, of an illegal recreational drug a simple matter of tweaking that banned drug's chemical structure and putting out feelers to some sketchy pill stamper or powder-head outside of Shanghai? Is it really that easy?

Mike Powers, a reporter with the Guardian and author of Drugs 2.0: The Web Revolution That's Changing How the World Gets High, wanted to find out. It took him about two months. In the end, he emerged only to corroborate the common refrain:

All it took me was a few dozen phone calls to Shanghai, a gmail account, a bank transfer, a PO Box set up in a false name, a few emails to contacts on web forums that gave me the synthesis and the modification and the name of a friendly laboratory, and a bit of reading. Job done.

It's a stimulant, if you're wondering. There's a sack of the stuff, delivered by courier, sitting on Powers' desk. He sent off a sample to Andrew Westwell, a chemist at Cardiff University who's involved with the WEDNOS project, who has "analyzed it, proved its authenticity, and guessed at its likely effect if taken," writes Powers.

There's more where it came from—a whole lot more (pdf), according to the UN's 2013 World Drug Report. That's all thanks to waves of old-white-guy legislation in both the UK and the US, the world's top drug-using countries, that just go on banning these new highs. This seems to only exacerbate the speed at which basement chemists and far-away manufactures, both of whom couldn't give two shits about the well-being of end users so long as they get a cut of the earnings, keep the supply flowing.

The cycle is relentless. In the time it took Powers to draft his last piece about legal highs, he says that fully five new substances appeared on the market. At the rate we're going, every last one of these, Powers' stimulant included, will in time be banned. In a far shorter time (see: days), a slate of new analogues will have filled the void. This is the reality of the Internet era: The globespanning online drugs market cannot be controlled. It can be dealt devastating, if temporary blows, yes, but more laws will only beget more (powerful) brain-busting legal and illegal highs.

"If I, a journalist who until recently knew nothing of chemistry, can commission a new drug in a matter of weeks, so can many more people." Powers writes. "And they will."

cont. http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/its-really-easy-to-create-your-very-own-legal-high

Last edited by a moderator:
...if your an organic chemist with a lab or have the money to pay one. Doesn't sound that easy.

The reason for the cat and mouse game between new drugs and the banning of said drugs is that the law doesn't accurately express the intention of the law makers. The law makers want everything that it is possible to get high from banned, except alcohol/tobacco/caffeine. Describing all these things by their exact substance description, either plant or chemical, has become obsolete for them. So their solution will be to fix it with a law that really does ban everything that it is possible to get high from, except alcohol/tobacco/caffeine. Its just a matter of time.

New South Wales in AU has already enacted such a law. I can see other places copying and pasting the new legal definition of psychoactive drugs.

The only way to fix them is to replace the present prohibitionist law makers with sensible ones who don't have the crazy desire to ban all psychoactive substances. I reckon that may take a one or two more generations at the present rate of progress.

Sorry if I appear pessimistic, but I really don't think there is much mileage in circumventing laws. The will behind the laws must change instead.

This is ridiculous, you can't just claim a chemical has a certain effect based on its structure. It's not a drug for sure until somebody takes it and confirms that it has a psychoactive effect.

This is ridiculous, you can't just claim a chemical has a certain effect based on its structure. It's not a drug for sure until somebody takes it and confirms that it has a psychoactive effect.

Yup. It's ridiculous. The new bill defines a drug by its effect.

From the PDF of the bill...

psychoactive effect, in relation to a person who is consuming or has consumed
a psychoactive substance, means:
(a) stimulation or depression of the central nervous system of the person,
resulting in hallucinations or a significant disturbance in, or significant
change to, motor function, thinking, behaviour, perception, awareness
or mood, or
(b) causing a state of dependence, including physical or psychological
addiction.
psychoactive substance means any substance (other than a substance to which
this Part does not apply) that, when consumed by a person, has the capacity to
induce a psychoactive effect.

(a) stimulation or depression of the central nervous system of the person,
resulting in hallucinations or a significant disturbance in, or significant
change to, motor function, thinking, behaviour, perception, awareness
or mood,

Someone needs to come along and define "significant" now, and everything will be clear to me. :|

LOL what a ridiculous law! By that definition, caffeine would be illegal! Not to mention sugar! Carbohydrates are most certainly addictive!

Can someone put in a call to Shanghai for some Ganesha?

2,5-dimethoxy-3,4-dimethylamphetamine would really hit the spot; and I don't know if anyone has made "a lot" of it.

You may end up getting a crate of these:

old-tibet-silver-ganapati-ganesh-lord-ganesha-buddha-statue-zmsx2766.jpg

LOL what a ridiculous law! By that definition, caffeine would be illegal! Not to mention sugar! Carbohydrates are most certainly addictive!

Also from the PDF...
36ZE Substances(1) to which this Part does not apply
This Part does not apply to the following substances:
(1) (a) a substance specified in Schedule 1,
(b) a precursor within the meaning of section 24A,
(c) a poison, restricted substance or drug of addiction within the meaning
of the Poisons and Therapeutic Goods Act 1966,
therapeutic goods included in the Australian Register of Therapeutic
Goods maintained under the Therapeutic Goods Act 1989 of the
Commonwealth or that are exempted from the operation of Part 3-2 of
that Act by regulations made under section 18 of that Act,
a food within the meaning of the Food Act 2003,
alcohol,
a tobacco product,
any plant or fungus, or extract from a plant or fungus, that is not, or does
not contain, a substance specified in Schedule 1,
controlled drugs, controlled plants and controlled precursors within the
meaning of Part 9.1 of the Criminal Code set out in the Schedule to the
Criminal Code Act 1995 of the Commonwealth,
a substance supplied by a health practitioner (within the meaning of the
Health Care Complaints Act 1993) in the course of the provision of a
health service (within the meaning of that Act),
any other substance prescribed by the regulations for the purposes of
this section.

2) A reference to a substance in subsection (1) does not include any substance
that contains, or has had added to it, any psychoactive substance that is not
specified in subsection (1).

I guess caffeine would be considered an existing "food" product.

2,5-dimethoxy-3,4-dimethylamphetamine would really hit the spot; and I don't know if anyone has made "a lot" of it.

The last lab that made it had a very hard time with it and this was the lab that supplied all of the very first NBOMe batches, not a cheap lab in China but a professional lab in Europe. It was deemed too unstable to be worth the cost of production so I wouldn't expect to see it any time soon.

I guess caffeine would be considered an existing "food" product.

Yeah I was just pointing out how asinine the law is. I can't see that one standing for long as it most certainly will impede the progress of pharmaceutical companies which they won't tolerate for long.