• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Issues with my Esophagus

Philosoraptor

Bluelighter
So I use to have a pretty severe drinking problem in my late teens and early twenties up until I was about 25 when I decided enough was enough and to slow down majorly on the drinking. Drink of choice has always been straight vodka, would wake up and have a cup or so and start my day.

Now I'm almost 30 and anytime I drink which is about once a week or less I wake up the next day and have problems eating. It feels like GERD almost, but when I swallow anything even water I get a pain in my chest mostly on my left side and my throat feels like there's a bunch of acid burning it or something. I'm almost 100% sure it's alcohol related. Has anyone else had a similar issue after a few years of heavy drinking? and if so how do you combat this other than just cutting out the alcohol completely, because I still like to go out with friends once a week or so and have quite a few drinks.

I get that shit a lot. Its from drinking and of course just getting old. I threw up shit tons of milk this morning before my job interview. Only thing that helps me is smoking pot but if I smoke too much obviously that upsets the esophogas too.

I get that shit a lot. Its from drinking and of course just getting old. I threw up shit tons of milk this morning before my job interview. Only thing that helps me is smoking pot but if I smoke too much obviously that upsets the esophogas too.

So we're fucked.

^Booze often leads to issues like heartburns, chronic or intermittent acid reflux then comes the dead gall bladder discovered cos you have pancreatitis which also has your liver and kidneys in struggle city. If the removal of your gallbladder fixes the pancreatitis (9 times out of 10 it does) you're lucky, if pancreatitis persists and you have quit booze then life is not going to be good or lengthy.

You could take something simple as baking soda or try pantoprazole/omeprazole to eliminate the excess acid.

Tums tums tums tums!

Not true for everybody, but alcohol usually takes many years of chronic useto cause any permanent problems.

Antacids do nothing. It's not like acid reflux or heartburn, it's hard to explain. But it's a pain in my esophagus and chest when swallowing foods or fluids.

^you said you feel like acid is burning your throat but you're ruling out heartburn?

Are you having night sweats?

^you said you feel like acid is burning your throat but you're ruling out heartburn?

Are you having night sweats?

The pain in my throat is like a burning feeling, but with heartburn it's usually constant until it goes away. This pain only really happens when I swallow food or liquids then goes away right after.

No, can't say I'm having any more night sweats than I've always had. Usually keep the house around 67 otherwise I'll sweat lol. But I attribute that to my high red blood cell count.

^ I suggest you get a blood test. You have a history of serious alcohol use so there could be all sorts of damage done or you could be experiencing something totally unrelated to alcohol. Blood test man.