• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Issues with cannabis, other drugs to use for first time?

highflyingsalmon

Greenlighter
New here so not sure exactly where to post this, I apologise for any mistakes of any kind I make during this, please point out anything I do/say wrong so I can correct it in the future :)

Background information:
A friend of mine is male, 17 years old, weighs 9 stone 4lbs (60kgs) and I would say is a probably a little underweight. They do not want to do any of the stronger class drugs e.g meth/heroin. They have had severe feelings of depression and extremely strong feelings of dissociation, additionally they struggle with identifying their true personality and have issues with emotions (they either have a complete absence of them, or far too many of them at once), additionally they often struggle with severe mood swings from erratic feelings to deep depression and anywhere/everywhere in between. This has been going on for an extended period of time (1/2 years) with the symptoms getting progressively worse, however there are short periods of time were the depression is not particularly bad. They have recently gotten help for this and are not yet on antidepressants however it is very likely they could request them and be prescribed. The doctor, counsellor and CAMHS service have been useless in any forms of diagnosis/help so far however My friend appreciates that they are trying even though he says it doesn't often feel like much is being done. During the past few months my friend has noticed that they have been hearing occasional voices and very very infrequent blackouts (short periods of time) in which he has moved objects. The only preexisting use of drugs is cannabis and alcohol. My friend used to use cannabis in fairly high dosages and had no problems with nausea or tolerance levels. After going on a break for about 8 months they tried smoking up again, and found even very small amounts (.5g) would induce nausea, and as little as 1.5g would induce extreme nausea and very unpleasant effects to the point at which they were barely able to fucntion. Throughout all use cannabis was always smoked with tobacco. He has no problems with alcohol. His friends have recently started doing other drugs such as LSD and MDMA and my friend wants to try something new as he is struggling with various things in his life. He is fully aware of the risk of addiction, however would welcome any other potential side effects of drugs being mentioned.

Questions they would specifically like answered:

Is it safe for him to do any other kinds of drugs/narcotics given the background information?

If yes to the above, what would be recommended as a first time and at what dosage (if possible please may you mention what to expect from the stated drug)?

What might cause these negative effects from cannabis, is he just having too high a grade/dosage despite the seemingly small quantity?

Are there any recommendations at how my friend could not feel such bad effects from cannabis?

He is unsure if this question is relevant to this forum site however he was wondering if anyone had experienced any similar symptoms and if they had any idea what they might be signs of?

Thank you in advance, my friend appreciates any feedback/help given.

If you, or your friend are depressed or anxious, react that way from cannabis, and are struggling as you wrote, drugs like LSD, alcohol, and MDMA are the last thing you should be taking. Stay safe.

Last edited:
Are they considering some form of psychosis? He has symptoms of schizophrenia but without knowing I would feel uncomfortable recommending anything to him at this point.

Is he sure it's not the tobacco? Nicotine hits me very hard for some reason and often makes me nauseous. As for psychedelics-I don't think your friend should touch them with a 10 foot pole. Mental health issues and psychedelics are a bad mix.

He still needs to be careful with alcohol it can have mental health effects especially for long-term addicts...

The people from various different services are hesitant to provide any diagnoses or even make a comment on what might be the problem. The blackouts are very very infrequent and don't last very long. He hears voices about once or twice every week and tend to be either someone saying his name or shorter simple sentences like 'the time is 10 to 2' or 'its Amon here to see you'. The mood swings can last from anywhere between an hour to a few days and are instantaneous changes, he is only aware of them if someone else explicitly points out that he has changed. Additionally he has a very poor grasp on any past events to the point at which he struggles to remember details of things that happened an hour ago, he finds it difficult to recall any large quantity of memories. On top of this he struggles with the ideas of reality and often finds him self in a very dissociative state where nothing seems real. He doesn't black out during these states and is aware of his actions. Im not sure if any of this helps towards any indicators of psychosis, but at this point any ideas will be more helpful than the help he's currently getting.

Are they considering some form of psychosis? He has symptoms of schizophrenia but without knowing I would feel uncomfortable recommending anything to him at this point.

Well I think he should ease up on his marijuana usage.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_and_psychosis

I have personally seen it turn someone, who was diagnosed with schizophrenia and relatively stable due to prober medication, into a very scary, very sick person almost instantly.

It was when I was like 16 and my older brothers friend was living with up. His mom had died a couple years back and he had no family. In and out of jail and in the streets. Well he had just got out of a psych facility I believe and was staying with us. He wasn't the same person I remember from years before, but he also wasn't batshit crazy. And then I smoked weed with him. Like 1 bowl in a medium pipe. 10 minutes later I was literally in fear for my life because he kept accusing me of being the devil and would randomly scream. He was kinda following me around the house and I was just trying to keep him calm. Finally my brother came over and told him he had to leave or go back to hospital. He left.

This is NOT something to mess with.

And check this link out.
There is an index near the bottom.

http://www.dualdiagnosis.org/resource/patient-assessments/anxiety-disorders/

Last edited:
I wasnt not thinking about marijuana. Yes of course it is possible to induce or worsen psychosis with weed. It doesnt appear that is the case here, but my point was he needs a real diagnosis first.

I wasnt not thinking about marijuana. Yes of course it is possible to induce or worsen psychosis with weed. It doesnt appear that is the case here, but my point was he needs a real diagnosis first.

Oh I absolutely agree. It's all just speculation until a professional does an evaluation.

if this is yourself you are referring to, we do not use "SWIM" or "my friend" or speak in third person here, it is against the rules. use first person narrative.
sounds like at the very least bipolar w/ psychosis, or you ("your friend") are coming to an age where schizophrenic symptoms will often begin to manifest in affected persons so that is a possibility. but I am no doctor.
stay AWAY from weed, AWAY from ALL hallucinogenics (and yes weed is one). AWAY from stimulants. blackouts make me say AWAY from benzos too. opiates maybe ...but man I sure as fuck hate to SUGGEST opiates to anyone regardless of circumstances, they will ruin your life (seriously you think your life is bad now, just wait). my best recommendation -- a good antidepressant and/or mood stabilizer and a good antipsychotic. start w/ that before you foray into substances that are sure to have negative effects of some or another.

The concencus is that psychedelics or hallucinogens can (will) worsen the mental state he is in if he has psychosis or depression. Do not have him or you try LSD if you have a mental condition. While I personally have no problem smoking weed with depression, I have witnessed some people go full out with bat shit paranoia.

Please stay safe.

Thank you to everyone it's genuinely helped, in the future I will talk in 1st person, just wasn't sure exactly what the correct etiquette was :). I'll stay away from stuff from now on, my head is already fucked enough as it is

Thank you to everyone it's genuinely helped, in the future I will talk in 1st person, just wasn't sure exactly what the correct etiquette was :). I'll stay away from stuff from now on, my head is already fucked enough as it is

You got the right attitude. Learning. More self aware.