• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Isolation of Mitragynine from Mitragyna Speciosa

RippinItUp

Greenlighter
I've been doing some research and experimenting with Kratom and came across this article in the Malaysian Journal of Analytical Sciences Vol 15 No1 (2011).
Mitragynine in itself is a a very strong compound. Just wondered if any of the brains over here has made any attempts as isolating this before.

Ill post the research paper I found:

A SIMPLE AND COST EFFECTIVE ISOLATION AND PURIFICATION PROTOCOL OF MITRAGYNINE FROM MITRAGYNA SPECIOSA KORTH (KETUM) LEAVES

(Satu Protokol Pengasingan Mitragina daripada Daun Mitragyna speciosa Korth (Ketum) yang Mudah dan Kos Efektif)

Goh Teik Beng1* , Mohamad Razak Hamdan1, Mohammad Jamshed Siddiqui2, Mohd Nizam Mordi1 and Sharif Mahsufi Mansor1

1Centre of Drug Research,
2 School of Pharmaceutical Science,
Universiti Sains Malaysia, Minden 11800, Penang, Malaysia.

*Corresponding author: [email protected]

Abstract

The objective of the present study was to develop a simple and cost effective method for the isolation of mitragynine from Mitragyna speciosa Korth leaves. The results of our study showed that around 0.088 % (w/w) pure mitragynine was obtained by this newly developed method with a purity of 99.0 % (w/w) based on GC-MS analysis. Moreover, the recovery of the pure mitragynine from the chloroform extract was also more than 95.0 %. Advantages of this new method were simpler, faster and more economical. In conclusion this simple and cost effective method helps to isolate mitragynine with higher purity in comparison with the published methods.

Read the full paper here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't. But its just column chromatography and recrystallization, nothing special in that paper. Hence its publication in an unkonwn jounal. I'm surprised it isn't being purified and sold commercially in such a purified form, so that people can inject, snort, etc. I guess fent is just too damn plentiful and cheap to be worth it.