• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Is this oral oxycodone injectable?

DrJay

Greenlighter
A younger individual has a peripheral venous (PICC) line for chronic intravenous hydration . Prescribed oxycodone oral liquid. The PICC line used for daily saline infusions for hydration. No known opioid disorder at present, but there are concerns.

I have looked at the possibility that the oral oxycodone could be injected , especially if diluted into 100 ml or more of IV fluid that is regularly injected. I've looked all over Bluelight for any insight, finding various discussion on the pros and cons of diverting oxycodone ROI to intravenous but nothing about this preparation. ( interesting debate on bioavailability - some opine that IV diversion is moot as oral and rectal availability is high. Others argue that IV is clearly more reinforcing.) I asked the manufacturer - they're clueless. Each of the excipients (ingredients) below turns up as either injectable or no data either way- not a single excipient is marked not acceptable for injection ( especially if diluted). So seems this oral oxycodone is potentially injectable, especially when diluted into several hundred ml of IV fluid.. .

Oxycodone liquid is manufactured by Wockhardt / Morton Grove .

a. Anhydrous Citric Acid

b. Fd&C Red No. 40

c. Glycerin ( remember - this would be highly diluted)

d. Poloxamer 188

e. Sodium Benzoate

f. Sorbitol

Anyone aware of intravenous use of the above preparation ? Or any glaring contraindication to IV use of any of the excipients ?

Any ideas?

This is a challenging case with obvious concerns.

Thanks

Dr. Jay

A younger individual has a peripheral venous (PICC) line for chronic intravenous hydration . Prescribed oxycodone oral liquid. The PICC line used for daily saline infusions for hydration. No known opioid disorder at present, but there are concerns.

I have looked at the possibility that the oral oxycodone could be injected , especially if diluted into 100 ml or more of IV fluid that is regularly injected. I've looked all over Bluelight for any insight, finding various discussion on the pros and cons of diverting oxycodone ROI to intravenous but nothing about this preparation. ( interesting debate on bioavailability - some opine that IV diversion is moot as oral and rectal availability is high. Others argue that IV is clearly more reinforcing.) I asked the manufacturer - they're clueless. Each of the excipients (ingredients) below turns up as either injectable or no data either way- not a single excipient is marked not acceptable for injection ( especially if diluted). So seems this oral oxycodone is potentially injectable, especially when diluted into several hundred ml of IV fluid.. .

Oxycodone liquid is manufactured by Wockhardt / Morton Grove .

a. Anhydrous Citric Acid

b. Fd&C Red No. 40

c. Glycerin ( remember - this would be highly diluted)

d. Poloxamer 188

e. Sodium Benzoate

f. Sorbitol

Anyone aware of intravenous use of the above preparation ? Or any glaring contraindication to IV use of any of the excipients ?

Any ideas?

This is a challenging case with obvious concerns.

Thanks

Dr. Jay

Most oral solutions aren't so id say no.
Why not just take it orally? It kicks in fast/strong enough that way and will save your veins and possibly life!
Or as you said, you squirt it up your ass! I have also heard it is stronger than iv this way.

Are you unable to source any tablets and make iv solutions from them? Not that I'd recommend that, without proper preparation and filtering this can be mega mega dangerous.

Lol @ Dr!

Of course oral oxycodone is definitely not suitable for the use you’re describing. It in fact would be incredibly dangerous. That PICC line is obviously there for a reason and I’m sure collapsing that vein wouldn’t be good news. Don’t go there.

The bio availability of oxycodone is perfectly fine for oral use. There is no need to IV it.

I'd say its rather tricky business. Individually, from what I recall, all of those have found their way into intravenous formulations (including the copolymer), but their concentrations are unknown in what you have.

Injecting diluted oral solutions is risky enough for a healthy person, but for someone sufficiently unwell to warrant a PICC line installed I'd say it's likely an unacceptable risk for a questionable reward.