View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Is This Guy Going To Be Okay?

LandsUnknown

Bluelighter
I didn't even see the guy, but when I was in the bathroom at the store I noticed a half empty bottle of "cough and cold" medicine. The guy obviously was chugging the stuff to trip, as it contained DXM and otherwise would seem strange to leave half empty bottles of cough medication in a restroom. There were two bottles, indicating there were two people chugging them to trip. While the medicine had DXM in it, I think the guy bought the wrong stuff as "cough and cold" usually has APAP in it. It was Nyquil medicine. I know that using cough syrup with APAP recreationally is very dangerous and often deadly, as the APAP in it will destroy your liver and you'll have to have a transplant. However, they only drank half the bottle. Even though I don't know the people and didn't even see them, I find it a shame that in this day in age with the internet these poor individuals did not receive necessary HR recommendations regarding this stuff. I have used DXM for the hallucinogenic effects myself, and even though I personally don't like the stuff, I am informed about how to do it safely. I feel like this really just goes to show how important it is for people to be informed about how to use a particular psychoactive safely and just because it's on the shelf doesn't make it safe to use recreationally. Any non-DXM ingredient can have negative effects on the body, some more serious than others. Even the DXM is a very shitty and dirty drug IMO, but that's just my opinion on the subject.

Ok...

I think that many things like this happen that are a shame and that it would be so much better if people were getting honest education rather than the 'war on drugs'.. on the other hand you're going on a lot of assumptions, it's not impossible for one person to drink one and a half bottle or were they both half empty? One would have to calculate how much APAP is actually in there, otherwise who knows where the safe limit is?

In my country it's unusual to have DXM products containing anything else, about the US, I sometimes wonder how hard is it to just find a DXM-only brand? Maybe it's hard, for kids not realizing the importance and living in rural areas with only limit options in a local pharmacy.

We can only guess whether the guy or guys will be okay but if we start wondering and guessing shit like that, where does it end? Don't take on the sorrow of the entire world, but definitely do help where you actually can.. Otherwise it's pointless rumination.

I almost bought some cold meds a couple of days ago in Walmart... I opted against it while looking at the meds... Only one on shelf, and I was wanting two... So I took it as a sign, that it wasn't meant to happen, and moved on to other shopping... I have cut use down considerably of dxm, to maybe once every other couple, or even few months in between usage... Last time was back in March... I can't do the meds with all the additional active ingredients/ or other drugs... Too risky to put all that in my body at once... I have only found a couple DXM only meds, and they are a bit pricey, but well worth not going into cardiac arrest or having convulsions or seizures like some meds cause sometimes...

I checked out the DXM options at the drug store the other day just out of curiosity, and pretty much the only one that was safe to trip on was Robitussin. Everything else had added guaifenisin and/or acetaminophen. (This is in Upstate NY)

I checked out the DXM options at the drug store the other day just out of curiosity, and pretty much the only one that was safe to trip on was Robitussin. Everything else had added guaifenisin and/or acetaminophen. (This is in Upstate NY)
Almost every cold med has other active ingredients. Here in the U.S. The only DXM only products I know of are Delsym, and would imagine the new Robitussin Time Release, though I never checked, but it looks to be a competitive product with Delsym. The DXM is not the same in these two, as they are time release formula of DXM. Poly something.. It lasts alot longer duration of time, for me 12+ hour feeling a slight euphoria, but not as intense as the DXM in other products. I cant trip off it, so I just stopped using it altogether. The only other option I know of are Robitussin gels, and that is the more common formula. Only negatives I have heard, is some people can feel an uneasy stomache due to breakup of gelcap once ingested. You could always break open gelcap, and honestly, Idk how that would taste. Another option, is using a water extraction method with tussin products containing the more common formula, to seperate DXM from all the other, or most of the other ingredients, and then after drying it, you have a powder. I assume this is time consuming, and I never have done it, and do not know specifics. The coke 2litre bottle method seemed to be fairly easy looking to follow through with. You are losing the other unwanted stuff, and left with pure, or close to pure powder, and as I think I heard, dilute in orange juice to mask a nasty taste. How much is up to you and your tollerance, so I will not suggest how much you extract. I would think the amount of powder, is still very close to amount in the syrup form, and you would base your choice with that in mind. You cant do extraction on time release DXM. I googled cold water DXM extraction, and was linked right to the pages I wanted. That is really the only products, and method of exteaction for only DXM... Hope you stay safe.. You sound better informed than I was for the longest time.. Avoid the mixed ingredient combos, esp. CCC's... Those can kill you.. Dangerous antihistamine additive.., as well as tylenol containing formulas.. I was under the impression, that the Tussin DM, with only DXM, and that guafi whatever additive isn't as bad, and have heard mentioned, it actually adds to the experience somehow.. Thats what I started on... Hope this helps you, and take care!

[MENTION=406934]rbbohio[/MENTION]
Actually i never tasted something more disgusting than dxm hbr powder.

Never have tried it, but would rather do it that way, than any other.. Just never took time to extract

Haha...there's a chain of dollar stores around here where they have DXM cough caps 15mg X 15 ct for $1. That's 225 mg DXM for $1. A dollar. You could technically go to the 4th plateau twice for 10 bucks. There is no tax because it's a medicine.

I don't use DXM anymore because I used to be heavily addicted to it. I haven't dosed high in a few years. I used it off and on for 12 years. Really fucked up my life for a long time. Sometimes I want to revisit it, but serotonergic psychedelics have served me well after I quit using them for a while.

Still, I had some great times with DXM.

I wish we knew what happened to dude. What if the person drank both bottles and left some. If that happened I think liver damage would have been the likely outcome.

These people will be OK. They will trip from the DXM and probably puke. I know people who chugged the entire contents of large bottles of Nyquil and they had a level 1 or 2 experience from the DXM but puked from the alcohol and other ingredients.

I have never used DXM, but most people who I knew who were into taking large doses of it would buy pure DXM powder, measure it out exactly, and put it into gel caps.