• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Is this an unreasonable workload?

F

frondolom

I'm transferring my community college credits into a 4-year university and am trying to knock out the main prerequisite courses for higher level classes (for a BS Business Admin degree). This would entail taking Calculus I and Statistics in the same semester, along with a 300 level accounting class and a computer management course. I work full time, so I am trying to figure out how big of a workload I should expect these classes to be when taken together. I can potentially change the accounting class or the statistics one if need be. Thoughts? Is Statistics generally a difficult or tedious class?

no one will be able to say for sure. the difficultly of classes various widely from school to school and professor to professor. it will also depend on how much you like math...

anon ---> E&C

For me, absolutely. First year I enrolled in university I tried to take biology, chemistry and matrix algebra on top of a full time job. I ended up dropping 2/3 courses. It was just too much.

i tutored in my university's math help center during graduate school, and calculus and statistics are both courses that some people have a lot of trouble with. they're not inherently super difficult, but it's very possible you'll run into something that takes a lot of effort to understand. frankly, beating your head against the wall for an hour trying to figure something out is part of the learning process. but having to do that for two classes at once, with a full time job, will very likely lead you to some extremely stressful nights. if possible, i'd recommend spreading those two out of over different semesters, and throwing in something like an elective requirement if you need to keep your hours up.

OP here

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I ended up dropping the accounting class because it was in a timeslot with more vacancies. I hope I can handle two math courses at the same time-- I'm trying to convince myself that it will just be like summer semester but for double the time.