• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is there such a thing as a 'strong and long term working' antihistmaine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowardescent

Bluelighter
I know this isn't a recreational drug use thread and also not talking about 'tripping' on Diphenhydramine as people say the results are pretty scary; I simply want to know what I should ask my G.P for.

I use an OTC medicine called, Pirition (chlorpheniramine maleate) along with a decongestant containing the compound, (xylometazoline hcl) to have a better nights sleep. I suffer from allergies to dustmites and of course try prevention first before the cure by washing my mattress sheets and vacumming the carpet however I find that using an antihistamine during the day while taking all three along with a beer before sleeping helps me fall right asleep and wake up without a stuffy nose.

Now, I was wondering if there are any antihistamines that could work in the long term as opposed to short term. I assume they'd be stronger. I don't know whether this is B.S. or not but I read that unlike psychotropic drugs, antihistamines don't have varying strength so almost all antihistamines-only products are OTC. Is this true?

Not sure what you mean by long term, like sustainable for chronic usage in regards to dependency or effectiveness?

A lot of antihistamines are indeed available over the counter, however there are also some more powerful ones that are most definitely available prescription only (the most notable of which I would consider to be promethazine). Such first generation antihistamines would probably have more side effects and be less efficient for daily use, in which case the current regiment you are on seems to be working so I don't know why you would want to switch. Also combining alcohol with any medication seems to usually lead to more problems than solutions, so I would be careful with that as well.

It's a bad idea the use the nasal decongestant longterm. It will only worsen the problem. Something like sinus rinses and flonase is a better option for clogged nasal passages. Prescription wise there is dymista which may be better than flonase since it contains antihistamine and a steroid.

I'm sorry buddy. I'm not saying that you've committed a cardinal sin by asking this question, but I have to treat this the same way I treat any other thread that's created without the forum guidelines in mind. We're a forum that has to remain completely dedicated to Harm Reduction principles concerning recreational drug usage. The fact that addicts and recreational drug users often have a hard time accessing reliable and truthful information is, in fact what necessitates the forums in the first place. You should be able to get the information that you seek from an Allergist or the internet in general. You shouldn't need our help.

With that said, I'll throw you a bone in saying Cholpheniramine would not be my first choice by a long-shot. It typically produces a lot more side-effects than other antihistamines. I would definitely be trying something like Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) first. The Oxymetazoline (Afrin) is not sustainable. It's famous for producing absolute tolerance to and dependence upon its effects. It's a very bad idea to start using it regularly. I can tell you first hand, it's a bad idea. You'll become tolerant and then the Oxymetazoline won't even work anymore. You will stop using it and you will be greeted with the most severe case of sinus congestion you've ever experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.