• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is there a Benzodiazepine & Gabapentinoid cross tolerance?

evo4ever

Bluelighter
Hey guys.

Just a quick a one.. is there a cross tolerence between benzos and gabapentin / pregabalin?

I'm prescribed Pregabalin and I get Clonazepam from a different source. I've noticed that when I've taken a dose of clonazepam earlier in the day and then when I take a generous dose of pregabalin at night it does next to nothing! Could the clonazepam be making my pregabalin less effective?

Cheers.

“ Pregabalin does not bind directly to GABAA, GABAB, or benzodiazepine receptors. In addition it does not augment GABAA responses in cultured neurons, alter rat brain GABA concentration or have acute effects on GABA uptake or degradation. However, it was found that prolonged application of pregabalin increases the density of GABA transporter protein as well as the rate of functional GABA transport in cultured neurons. Pregabaline has no involvement with serotonin and dopamine receptors and does not inhibit dopamine, serotonin, or noradrenaline reuptake. It has no effects on sodium channels, opiate receptors, and cyclooxygenase enzyme activity”

In essence, the science would say that it shouldn’t really effect the cross tolerance of benzodiazepines. However, through real life application and personal experience, these drugs definitely have some sort of cross tolerance / correlation.

It is definitely possible the two of these drugs somehow work on similar parts of the brain, causing one or the other to have lesser effects with use of both drugs

Yes, there's a cross tolerance at the GABA receptors, and what you describe makes perfect sense, especially with standard dose vs standard dose, clonazepam is much more powerful than gabapentin.