• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is taking Antidepressants on- off harmful?

Byzek

Bluelighter
I started taling lexapro in the beginning of march.
Tookit just a couple of days then stopped it.
Then again and again stop.
I dont know why Im doing this.
I guess there are moments in which I think I dont need it and moments in which im desperate.
But Im really aware of sexual dysfunction.

Antidepressants are generally long-acting medications. They will build up considerably after a few days of taking them.

If the practice your describing is always just a couple days here and a couple days there, the health impacts are essentially no different than taking it every day. The only difference is that you're operating at a lower dosage than prescribed. If you're taking 20mg daily for two days and then none for two days, you can basically put yourself at 10mg per day for those four days. The difference is, you will experience the fluctuations in dosage. They will be lowest on day 4 and highest on day 2. Whatever benefits you're intending to receive from the antidepressants will be mitigated by these troughs in dosage.

But some people need less than they are prescribed to get by. At any rate, the best decision for your stability is to make a decision and stick to it. Otherwise you're going to be pulled in some way back and forth, even if it's subtle. If you're neurotic like me, I'd be questioning everything in my life trying to understand if it was a result of a peak or trough in my medication levels. Doesn't sound very productive.

SSRI’s, SNRI’s, tryciclics and some other drugs generally considered as something that must be taken for weeks or months to work can in fact be used (and do get prescribed as such in some cases) either on and off or as needed. Some effects of named drugs start working very soon after it is consumed while some do need time.

Let’s take two example -

sertaline can be given for premature ejaculation to be taken as needed

mirtazapine can be given for insomnia to be taken as needed.

In both cases taking them as needed as opposed to constantly will result in significantly less side-effects, less severe addiction, will retain efficacy for much longer etc..

In case SSRI’s do work by affecting BDNF than prolonged use to achieve that might be needed indeed but that same can be achieved via much safer things (be it substance or simply sunbathing) and than SSRI can be used for intimidate effects as needed.