• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is Opium as Addictive as Heroin?

JadedTabs

Bluelighter
I know Opium is an addictive substance of ocurse but knowing it's a key ingredient in heroin I was wondering if the addiction to opium is anywhere near as bad as heroin

Depends how you are taking it. Heroin is particularly addictive for two reasons: First when you IV something you get the whole dose really fast, that fast huge rush will result in stronger cravings from then on. The other reason is that the chemical structure of heroin makes it very easy to cross into the brain. Opium is morphine and codeine, neither get into the brain as fast as heroin. If you're smoking it you'd get a fast buzz almost as fast as you would IV'ing heroin but I'm not sure if it would be as strong. If you're swallowing it then it has to go through stomach, intestines, liver then bloodstream then into the brain. All this takes time, so you don't get the avalanche of a fast effect like you would IV'ing heroin.

Last edited:
^ This, but in short, yes it can be physically addicting, and will cause wd, if a habit is formed, then you suddenly stop.

- Hopeless 7nos

I don't know much about smoking opium but - and not so much from a health perspective - unless you have very deep pockets. They both sound addictive and if you get hooked it is, with my admittedly very limited experience, harder to kick than many other drugs. Where I am from it heroin was about USD 80 per g which is cheap compared to some places but you can still find yourself running out of money in no time at all - and tbh even if you do have some really high paying job you are likely to loose if you get a serious habit with with heroin or opium - long term it can consume you if you let it.

I am not speaking from experience but have had a colleague loose almost everything through heroin use, a habit he could not kick. Probably sounds a preachy but I do not think either of them should be taken, or at least not on a regular basis.

Well opium is pretty hard to find on the street but heroin is EVERYWHERE. I think that probably says something about the addictive potential of each. High addictiveness = high profits