• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Is my weight loss due to over 20 years of Tramadol use?

Preminger

Greenlighter
Hello all. I am a 65 year old male who has enjoyed using all opiates, stimulants, weed, psychedelics and alcohol since I was 16 years old. I attribute my good general health to a mix of good fortune and good sense. Alcohol did pose a threat to my overall well being but I knocked that on the head when I reached 60 years old. I have a script for Tramadol, ostensibly for knee pain, but I use it for the slight mood lift and the increased general motivation to carry out the onerous tasks in life such as cleaning the house and putting up with some needy old friends. I take 50mg twice daily. I’m also scripted Diazepam 5mg again, ostensibly, for a bit of anxiety.
The issue is that I’ve noticed some marked weight loss around the abdomen. I was also shocked when I was described by friends as looking gaunt and losing tone facially. I was persuaded to visit my GP. They’re now throwing the whole gamut of tests and explorations including colonoscopy, endoscopy, ultrasound of the abdomen and extensive blood and faecal testing.
I’m reluctant to take these tests partly because I’ve never been in hospital nor had a general anaesthetic. I have a phobia regarding doctors and hospitals because I know what happens there. My father was a doctor and my mum a nurse. But I also don’t want to burden the overstretched health service. Physically, I feel great but I don’t really want to stop my Tram and Vals. Apart from black coffee that’s all I enjoy these days.
Anyway, my question is despite a good diet is my Tramadol abuse the cause of my weight loss? The thought of a steely dan up my arse and what it might find is the cause of my anxiety.
Thanks to all who run and contribute to such a fantastic service. Love and peace to all of you.

I highly doubt that low-dose Tramadol is causing weight-loss friend.

I am not a doctor of medicine however, although I do know that sudden weight loss is not something to be ignored so I'd encourage you to get the medical tests suggested.

You could try the least invasive tests first perhaps, see what they reveal. Foe the endoscopy /colonoscopy well, if you present as anxious and insist on maximum sedation, they'll make you pretty damn comfortable.

It's also likely that your anxiety will be just as pranged by the "not-knowing" as it would be by taking the tests. Much better to know asap if anything is amiss, no doubt about that at all.

Sorry for the tardiness of my reply and thank you for your kind response. I’ve just had blood tests that were fine except for very high cholesterol. An ultrasound was also fine. However, as you said the “the not knowing” would be just as anxiety provoking as the tests. So I’m having the colonoscopy next week. I would prefer lots of comfy sedation without unconsciousness. Thanks again ageingpartyfiend. I will post and let you know how I fare.

Sedatives greatly affect weight and physical activity.

Last edited:
It’s certainly possible, either a direct effect, indirect, or both. But it sounds too extreme to be just the tramadol. I’m assuming you haven’t changed your diet and lifestyle significantly? Have you noticed any other Changes to your body/potential symptoms?

I'm a bit torn on this subject as someone that was in exceptional health (raced mountain bikes at the highest amateur level along the east coast) when I was told at the age of 23 after trying to donate blood, that I had a rare blood disease that killed most people in the first year.

I'm now 44 and have had quite a few family members pass recently of some not so nice things. There are basically 2 schools of thought from what I can tell. Ignore things and live your life as good and happy as possible and when it's your time, it's your time. Or go to the Dr over every little thing or at least not ignore things that don't go away and hopefully catch anything early. Medicine has come a long ways in the past 20 years and they might find something that can be fixed and changes nothing for you. Or find something where you can easily have another 15 years. Or there are still a few things that are a death sentence almost no matter when they are found. Or the lucky few that are told they will die but manage to keep going, though since I'm on this forum, nothing is perfect. So it's a bit of the luck of the draw.

I guess it's up to you whether to live your life and be happy as long as possible, or maybe find out bad news that might let you live longer but will also probably weigh heavily on your mind? Unfortunately none of us live forever. And while we all likely thought we were invincible at some point, time will always catch up to us. Peace of mind is wonderful, but we live in a time that can extend your life when we get sick, whether it's months or decades. Doctor's aren't fun or a happy place but it's better to take advantage of the time we have and get the best treatment possible, in my opinion at least.

I wish you the best and hope it's something as simple as taking an extra pill every day!

I'd just like to add that I would probably have been dead 20 years ago if I didn't fight and find a treatment that worked for me. I'm lucky for that and today it's currently in the low 70s, a bright blue sky with a gentle wind blowing thru the trees and lots of flowers blooming everywhere and a song of birds singing. My dog's are running around barking and playing, I have chickens roaming around kicking the leaves looking for bugs, and the little chicks are carefully exploring with the occasional burst of excitement where they are silly and run and flap around until one relaxes. And my 9 year old daughter is at practice and will be home in a few hours.

Life is scary and unpredictable but also amazing and beautiful. And that should always be worth fighting for and I hope that others can see that things can get better!

For me depression and anxiety are what makes me want to eat less, I've lost 200 pounds due to stress (I used to weigh 400 pounds) I'm down to 190!

-Baphomet
:vampire: