• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Is moving from satanism towards pantheism a natural progression?

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
A warning... This will probably make the most sense to people that already have a knowledge of black metal, particularly the second wave of the Norwegian scene. But either way, it seems like a lot of the bands started out in the beginning espousing satanic and even fascist views. But as they progressed it seems a lot later on down played both the satanic and fascist influences in favor of pantheistic views such as Norse mythology, paganism, and a nature. Of course there are still plenty of bands that remained satanic, but to me at least it was more for shock, a rebellion against organized religion, or just a downright gimmick than actual satanic worship. Besides, it's kind of hard to bash the bible and at the same time "worship" something from it but that could be a whole other thread. Either way, like the title says, was moving away from satanism just a natural progression and maturing of certain bands?

a good example of black metal -> more pan influenced music was the one man black metal project xasthur, who became nocturnal poisoning (more folk oriented instrumentation)

idk if black metal musicians are typically practicing satanists. some of its seems schticky, like how lots of gangster rappers arent gangbangers

i think it makes sense for some musicians to have an inner progression from a philosophy of dark hopelessness to something more light. whether they will externalize that progression with their music in an obvious way might be one thing. but i guess for those who value authenticity, their music would naturally change.

A warning... This will probably make the most sense to people that already have a knowledge of black metal, particularly the second wave of the Norwegian scene. But either way, it seems like a lot of the bands started out in the beginning espousing satanic and even fascist views. But as they progressed it seems a lot later on down played both the satanic and fascist influences in favor of pantheistic views such as Norse mythology, paganism, and a nature. Of course there are still plenty of bands that remained satanic, but to me at least it was more for shock, a rebellion against organized religion, or just a downright gimmick than actual satanic worship. Besides, it's kind of hard to bash the bible and at the same time "worship" something from it but that could be a whole other thread. Either way, like the title says, was moving away from satanism just a natural progression and maturing of certain bands?

Great topic Nutty, you may know that I am a big black metal fan and never thought I'd get to discuss the philosophy behind it. :)

I've found myself bored of a lot of 2nd wave stuff now; it has no real replay value though I can chuck on Immortal- At the Heart of Winter at anytime and fucking love it. I think Enslaved are one of the only 2nd wavers to maintain quality and actually get better. I think some of the 'newer' acts have refined the style really well, and I refer to bands like Shining (Swe), Alcest, Drudkh (right-wing shit aside), Deathspell Omega, Blut aus Nord, Darkspace/Paysage d'Hiver. Anyway, enough name dropping. I'd like to know what bands you like though...

I think we need to remember that these guys were young kids when they started their bands. Satanism in the context of BM was more anti-Christianity; I don't think it was especially theistic. Naturally, such themese would get tiresome, so we have bands like Shining talking about suicide and misanthropy or Darkspace, talking about space. The way bands like Burzum claimed to be fighting Chistianity and reclaiming pagan sites by burning churches was lame and illogical. The fascist shit was always irrelevant. Fasciosm is hyper conservative, and black metal was non-conformist and iconoclastic. I think that bands either opted to go for the more pagan approach, not neccesairly pantheistic. Its tedious being a reactionary against something; there's no room for growth. But adopting a positive stance, either towards paganism or animism, can lead to development and benefit. Christianity has lost most of its power, so the opposition just seems so 90's. ;) There are still the Dark Funerals and Sargeists who rattle on about the Infernal One, but for me, those sort of lyrics are like an anal sphincter; they push me out of the music as soon as I enter it.

I find Deathspell Omega to be highly interesting. Secretive and obscure with a truly theistic take on Satanism. Though I believe some of the members were/are actually Catholic. From 2003 on, they rarely bash Christians or overtly praise satan, but they subvert scripture and realign it. They seem to be discussing the objective entity, Satan, not as an allegory but a metaphysical construct.

Are you a Satanist nutty? I spent quite a bit of time with occult practitioners several years ago, some who practised what they described as anti-cosmic Satanism. They borrowed heavily from Thelema and Catholicism, but there was a focus on earth, matter, reality. It appealed to me in some ways, because it felt powerful to experience and uplifting but I came to realise that most of these people were all lying to each other when they pretended to see spirits and elementals and communicate with the void. I accept the idea of satan as a symbol for opposition and rebellion and flesh/matter but I think that this is only symbolic, and I suppose some of the bands thought the same.

Disjointed post, I am quite high, spelling is gone.

We'll see how this travels in P&S, it may get more responses in NEMD.

Best album cover ever though:

Burzum_aske.jpg

idk if black metal musicians are typically practicing satanists. some of its seems schticky, like how lots of gangster rappers arent gangbangers

I would agree... It's just entertainment for a lot of people. I think of it sort of like horror movies. It's not like the people that make horror movies are going around chopping people up. Or death metal which is really like a horror movie in music form. But with that said I think there are musicians that take their views seriously whether satanic, fascist, or whatever... As far as satanism tho, a good example would probably be Dissection. Hell one of their bassist left the band partly to concentrate more on the MLO (Misanthropic Luciferian Order). I guess it would also depend on what one considered worshiping Satan.

i think it makes sense for some musicians to have an inner progression from a philosophy of dark hopelessness to something more light. whether they will externalize that progression with their music in an obvious way might be one thing. but i guess for those who value authenticity, their music would naturally change.

When I was a teenager I thought the satanism shit was cool even tho I didn't really know much about it. I didn't practice it per se but read the books and listened to a lot of Slayer lol. Now it's irrelevant to me although I still like what people would consider satanic bands. But for me it's just about the music as cliche as that sounds. I just like brutal extreme music sometimes, and what can you say? Satan makes good music lol. The only thing good to come from the Satanic shit for me personally tho was just the other interests it lead to like Norse mythology.

I thought it often happened the other way around? I heard from a guy involved in dark withcraft a beautiful kind of pantheism is often part of the crap they serve people at the lowest level to lure them in.

I've found myself bored of a lot of 2nd wave stuff now; it has no real replay value though I can chuck on Immortal- At the Heart of Winter at anytime and fucking love it. I think Enslaved are one of the only 2nd wavers to maintain quality and actually get better. I think some of the 'newer' acts have refined the style really well, and I refer to bands like Shining (Swe), Alcest, Drudkh (right-wing shit aside), Deathspell Omega, Blut aus Nord, Darkspace/Paysage d'Hiver. Anyway, enough name dropping. I'd like to know what bands you like though...

Right on, I didn't know you were into black metal. I still like the second wave bands like Emperor, Mayhem, Immortal and Enslaved, although as far as I know Enslaved has always been viking metal. I just don't listen to it as often. Aside from that I would have to think some. It would be a long list lol... But as far as bands I've listened to recently I would say Taake, Nargaroth, Lifelover, Antaeus, Horn etc.

I think we need to remember that these guys were young kids when they started their bands. Satanism in the context of BM was more anti-Christianity; I don't think it was especially theistic.

Yeah I can sort of see that in myself too. It seems like Satanism is perhaps a common starting place for rebellious youth lol.

Naturally, such themese would get tiresome, so we have bands like Shining talking about suicide and misanthropy or Darkspace, talking about space. The way bands like Burzum claimed to be fighting Chistianity and reclaiming pagan sites by burning churches was lame and illogical. The fascist shit was always irrelevant. Fasciosm is hyper conservative, and black metal was non-conformist and iconoclastic.

Yeah the church burning was stupid. I understand the reasoning, but it was totally misplaced. Hellhammer was actually against it. But as far as fascism I wouldn't necessarily agree that it was or is irrelevant, not that I agree with it. There have been plenty of NSBM bands that take it seriously. I don't think it contradicts black metal being non-conformist or iconoclastic because in most places fascism isn't exactly a popular view especially in places like Germany lol.

I think that bands either opted to go for the more pagan approach, not neccesairly pantheistic. Its tedious being a reactionary against something; there's no room for growth. But adopting a positive stance, either towards paganism or animism, can lead to development and benefit. Christianity has lost most of its power, so the opposition just seems so 90's. ;) There are still the Dark Funerals and Sargeists who rattle on about the Infernal One, but for me, those sort of lyrics are like an anal sphincter; they push me out of the music as soon as I enter it.

To be honest the satanic shit doesn't bother me because it's not something that affects me and I like the music. If I never listened to anything that could be considered slightly satanic it would really narrow down my metal listening in general lol. I do however like bands that I can get behind both in their music and lyrics like Enslaved for instance.

Are you a Satanist nutty? I spent quite a bit of time with occult practitioners several years ago, some who practised what they described as anti-cosmic Satanism. They borrowed heavily from Thelema and Catholicism, but there was a focus on earth, matter, reality. It appealed to me in some ways, because it felt powerful to experience and uplifting but I came to realise that most of these people were all lying to each other when they pretended to see spirits and elementals and communicate with the void. I accept the idea of satan as a symbol for opposition and rebellion and flesh/matter but I think that this is only symbolic, and I suppose some of the bands thought the same.

Gonna have to come back to this one when I'm not falling asleep, but no I'm not a satanist. It's funny you mention anti-cosmic satanism tho because that's exactly what the surviving members of what was Dissection (before Jon Nodtveidt killed himself) practice. They're all members of the Misanthropic Luciferian Order.

Last edited:
Continued about satanism... I've yet to personally find a form of satanism that I could take seriously. It seems to me most are really just a form of hedonism and anti-christianity. And even for the more esoteric and fringe groups, they seem to just be belief systems a lot of times incorporating various deities from various ancient religions. Take for instance the gods from Temple of the Black Light, (formerly the MLO)...

They believe there are eleven gods; those of Moloch, Beelzebuth, Lucifuge Rofocale, Astaroth, Asmodeus, Belfegor, Baal, Adramelech, Lilith, Naamah and Satan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_the_Black_Light

The majority of those deities are of ancient Hebrew origin. So in short I suppose I can respect the convictions and insight of some of the groups if they lead to self betterment in some way, but to me the same things could be achieved without satanism or really any formal belief system. Various rites and initiations have been practiced since the first civilizations so those aspects aren't new. I think it's also questionable what the objectives really are of some of the groups. I'm not particularly superstitious or anything, but I think there are forces and spirits out there that shouldn't be fucked with, some of which don't even have to do with satanism necessarily. I think opening yourself up to such things can lead one down a dark path they probably don't want to go down.

Last edited:
Forgive me for my ignorance, as it's not one of the things I've wanted to immerse myself in, but isn't Satanism really about a kind of worship of the self or an extreme form of egoism? Like a spiritual form of Nietzcheism or survival-of-the-fittest theology?

I believe that to be a part of it, and also it's right to say the self is the root of all evil. All evil is done out of the self, either out of self-defence, desire, or a sadistic need to enjoy seeing others suffer as the contrast can have an elevating effect on one's own consciousness (although this is only an option for low-consciousness individuals who feel more separate than at one with others, and luckily not an option for most).

At least I've come to understand that is what advanced or intellectual Satanism is, it's not the worship of a "devil" or deity outside of yourself, it's simply a worship of the self which we're all born to do to varying degrees, just as a survival-mechanism in this world. Unfortunately I don't think it's just make-believe and that there are ways to connect with negative enteties through occult rituals, etc. and in some cases it can lead to success in this world.

I just read a biography about James Dean where at one point he said "I have a fairly adequate knowledge of satanic forces" and I've come accross this kind of vocabulary before and think it refers to some type of real forces in this world. I'm nore quite sure what it's all about, but there seems to be different categories of "Luciferian" and "Satanic" forces, where one applies to the mind and one the emotions, etc. Others will know more than I do, but I imagine it can be something similar to Theodophy which descrinbed different spiritual forces, including negative forces, and Kabbala, both very advanced and intellectual philosophical systems for highly educated minds. While the "folklore" version of Satanism would obviously be something completely different that might also have appeal to some.

I think only few will ever come close to anything like this, though, and all they will see will be superstition and fairy-tales. Like genuine knowledge of the positive spiritual forces I don't think this is easy to come by and something that belongs to the mysteries of this world. Unfortunately, this only serves to make it more attractive to some, like spiritual truths were considered more intriguing when they were confined to secret societies and now they are more widely exposed they're not so valued any more (or hidden in plain sight).

Last edited:
^See the idea of 'worshipping the self' was appealing to me based on my entheogenic experiences. It became apparent that god/devil/ganesh were likely to be found only within me. Looking for them in the external world is pointless and will lead one to think they do not exist. That's what I thought. So I researched a bit and realised that satanism was not for me and found myself interested in Kabbalah and thelema. The former contains all the awe inspiring hidden secrets, the latter the grandiosity to appeal to the public. I was intriguied by the enochian calls after being 'warned' of their real dangerousness.

Ninae, do you have an opinion on things like enochian magick or kaballah? Would you consider them light or dark?

Continued about satanism... I've yet to personally find a form of satanism that I could take seriously. It seems to me most are really just a form of hedonism and anti-christianity. And even for the more esoteric and fringe groups, they seem to just be belief systems a lot of times incorporating various deities from various ancient religions. Take for instance the gods from Temple of the Black Light, (formerly the MLO)...

They believe there are eleven gods; those of Moloch, Beelzebuth, Lucifuge Rofocale, Astaroth, Asmodeus, Belfegor, Baal, Adramelech, Lilith, Naamah and Satan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_the_Black_Light

The majority of those deities are of ancient Hebrew origin. So in short I suppose I can respect the convictions and insight of some of the groups if they lead to self betterment in some way, but to me the same things could be achieved without satanism or really any formal belief system. Various rites and initiations have been practiced since the first civilizations so those aspects aren't new. I think it's also questionable what the objectives really are of some of the groups. I'm not particularly superstitious or anything, but I think there are forces and spirits out there that shouldn't be fucked with, some of which don't even have to do with satanism necessarily. I think opening yourself up to such things can lead one down a dark path they probably don't want to go down.

Yeah, I find satanism hard to take seriously too. Church of Satan is ridiculous really; I've got the Satanic Bible and its pretty tedious reading. Their offshoot, the Temple ov Set, is a bit more hardcore and intriguing but still ultimately about physicality and control. The rest of this stuff, TOBL and ONA just seems even more absurd to me then christianity does (in parts). So I can really enjoy bands like Blut aus Nord but find the lyrics or idea's cringe-worthy. I do like the lyrics in latter day Behemoth though.

In short, I think that black metal is concerned with adolescent occultism. Its occultism born of Anton LaVey and H.P Lovecraft. So I quite like bands like Shining or Leviathan with lyrics about suicide and misanthropy. That, at least, I can understand. ;)

I wouldn't be familar enough with it but I've been impressed by what I've seen of the Kabbala. The Zohar is certainly a very impressive take on enlightenment and elevation of consciousness, almost too advanced and needs to be simplified most of the time. But I understand there's a dark side to Kabbala too, or the inverted tree of life, and it can be kind of comparable to our Christianity/Anti-Christianity.

I seem to remember I have the Keys of Enoch somehwere, but think I've read it's a form of demonic magic, and I'm sceptical to most forms of magic. The Bulgarian teachers warned against it and most legit spiritual teachers teach that all magic done for selfish reasons is dark in that only lower-level entities are interested in assisting you with that. There is a form of divine magic that can be performed when you reach higher states of consciousness for the good of the world when you have lost interest in using it for selfish purposes, but that practically means there is none.

It obviously doesn't happen easily, and I think it can only work as a form of energy-exchange, as you don't get anything for nothing. You would probably have to go to extreme measures and most of the time I think it won't end up being worth it. But what I have experienced is spontaneously feeling healing energy flow through me, something that was based in love, which is interesting and seems like something that comes along with reaching higher states of consciousness and I think more along the lines of what white or divine magic really is.

Jesus is one of the most legendary white magicians and when you think about it he had power to heal more than anything, a powerful love and God-connecition, and that's how he gained his powers (many also teach that love is the root of magic power). What else he did to demonstrate those was more to demonstrate the power of the divine in this world, and not something done for ego-gratification, which is what inspires most aspirering magicians. Although I believe Manly P. Hall was a real magician and what he described was what he had seen (The Secret Teachings of All Ages is one of the few books really worth reading on the subject).

Last edited:
In short, I think that black metal is concerned with adolescent occultism. Its occultism born of Anton LaVey and H.P Lovecraft.

I don't know... Ihsahn from Emperor back in the day denounced Laveyan satanism. I know Jon Nodtveidt was vehemently against it. I'm sure it probably appeals to some that are into black metal tho. For me personally I also bought the Satanic Bible when I was a rebellious teenager but reading through it I just felt it was telling me stuff I already knew, and I found nothing dark or sinister about it at all. Perhaps unsurprisingly I think I bought the Necronomicon after that which of course is the fictional work of Lovecraft himself.

The rest of this stuff, TOBL and ONA just seems even more absurd to me then christianity does (in parts).

I was researching the ONA not that long ago and they seem to be the most extreme group in writing, what with the advocating the culling of humans and such. As far as I know tho there haven't been any crimes directly linked to the organization (if there really is one). I could be wrong tho.

Forgive me for my ignorance, as it's not one of the things I've wanted to immerse myself in, but isn't Satanism really about a kind of worship of the self or an extreme form of egoism? Like a spiritual form of Nietzcheism or survival-of-the-fittest theology?

I'm definitely no expert but it depends on the type of satanism. Some of the forms or groups are extremely nihilistic.

Last edited:
You sound like you've read a lot that have raised many qestions but not given so many answears. But if you're really interested in learning the true nature of these things the best I can think of is some of the works by Omraam Mikhael Aivanhov who communicated the teachings of the Great White Brotherhood and isn't comparable to anything else out there. This is one of my favourites:

http://www.google.no/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDEQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.prosveta-usa.com%2Fthe-book-of-divine-magic&ei=nXVWVcTCCaKAywPbjYGABw&usg=AFQjCNFIJAqAI1ODj26kCZP4x0Otaj3gXQ&sig2=2LGZc59UgpGR3bS6LTeVbg

"True magic, divine magic, consists in putting all one's powers, all one's knowledge, at the service of the Kingdom of God on Earth. Very few magi attain this higher level, the level at which they are totally free of any personal interest even in magical practices themselves and have outgrown all desire to command the spirits for the satisfaction of their own ambitions; the level at which they have only one desire : that of working in the light and for the light. Those who reach this level are true theurgists : all that they do is utterly disinterested; they are true benefactors of mankind."

"Magic is the science and practice of influences. If an object or being exerts a beneficial influence on the surrounding environment, we say it is white magic, and if the effect is disturbing, disruptive or destructive we say it is black magic. In this sense, everything can be considered magic: gestures, words, looks, sounds, colours, geometric shapes.

By the same token, animals, plants and minerals also possess a magic power, in so far as they exert an influence over people and either attract or repulse them and heal them or make them ill. When we look at the sun, the stars, mountains and lakes we sense the effect and influence they have over us, and in our own way we also influence them.

Everything in the universe is magic, because all things are constantly influenced by one another. Once you have understood this, and you try hard to think, feel and act in a constructive and harmonious manner, you will become a white magician."

"By singing, you realize a work of the highest degree of white magic. When you all sing together, tell yourself that it is allowing you to work not just on yourself first of all but also on the whole world. For the harmony you create gradually spreads out, influencing all creatures in space.

When a choir sings, and particularly when it sings mystical songs, the fusion of the two principles – the masculine and feminine voices – takes place on high in the realm of the soul and spirit. And this fusion is not barren: it not only produces joy, peace and plenitude for those who sing and those who listen, but it releases currents of energy which travel through space and purify the earth’s atmosphere. By singing, then, you are able to realize a work of the highest degree of white magic.

But for this you must learn to free yourself from the elements holding you down in the lower regions, so that you can make your way toward this absolute purity which exalts the entire being. Your voices will then produce currents of energy which will merge on high and give birth to celestial beings."

So what are you waiting for?

Last edited:
/\ I'll look into that later when my attention span is better. I'm not currently looking for any specific spiritual path, but I do like researching things on spirituality, religion and the like.

On the topic of the ONA, it's all obvious to me now. Peta is actually behind it...

Furthermore, according to the O9A, they "despise animal sacrifice, maintaining
that it is much better to sacrifice suitable mundanes given the abundance of
human dross"

http://www.o9a.org/wp-content/uploads/o9a-culling-texts-v7a.pdf

=D

I thought all of it was just a gimmick to sell records. Other than that, I get the impression that some grew up in strict Christian households . They like to dress up and wear big silver crosses and pentagrams and make-up and act rebellious against their strict childhoods. Since they all sound sort of the same and you can't understand the lyrics, each "black metal" act tries to be the first to out-do the others for shock value. Friends I've had who were members of bands that played that style of music in local scenes of different cities (not Norway or course) I've lived tended to give me the same impression - that it's just for show.

Yea, I grew up in an agnostic-atheist environment, that's why I am the way I am. I just wanted to find a better answear than "I don't know". We all want to rebel against our upbringing and environment.

Kind of funny, as some see anti-religion as rebellious, while I see it more as conformist or unthinking. I guess it depends where you start out, but most adolescents start out with an agnostic mind-set leaning towards atheist, I reckon. You just haven't seen any of that side of life yet, and remember we have generations now who have grown up without any religion.

But some seem to be missing that it's not the 50s any more and Christianity's hold on our culture was pretty much torn down in the 60s-80s, where popular culture was very anti-Christian (the mass media still is). The churches are literally abandoned, at least in a small country like this. I guess New Age or modern spirituality replaced what most turn to for their spiritual needs, starting from the 60s with the hippie movement.

Last edited:
I thought all of it was just a gimmick to sell records. Other than that, I get the impression that some grew up in strict Christian households . They like to dress up and wear big silver crosses and pentagrams and make-up and act rebellious against their strict childhoods. Since they all sound sort of the same and you can't understand the lyrics, each "black metal" act tries to be the first to out-do the others for shock value. Friends I've had who were members of bands that played that style of music in local scenes of different cities (not Norway or course) I've lived tended to give me the same impression - that it's just for show.

Most of it is/was just for show, but the scene has both matured and diversified over the years, which I think is what the topic is about. Its demonstrative that you say all bands sound the same. There's actually some very diverse styles out there now. O/T done.

I believe there is a spiritual progression in which one develops certain values. Pantheism and Buddhism are the end goals because they can't really be refuted or refined anymore than they already are. This has been studied in sociology; there's actually a pretty defined path on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sociology_of_religion

I'm taking a highschool sociology course this year.

I haven't thought if it as progression. Neat.