• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is Mirtazapine decreasing amphetamines' effects?

invis74

Greenlighter
I've been taking 15mg of Mirtazapine for 2 weeks now. Just recently I acquired some adderall and have found it barely works now.

I took 40mg and only got slight euphoria for ~30 minutes and some increased concentration for a while after.
I haven't taken any amphetamines for a couple months, and my tolerance then wasn't even very high (20mg was good for me). Could the Mirtazapine be affecting it?

Also, I don't feel any of the side effects that my psychiatrist told me were common, and that I've seen many people post here about. I don't get drowsy from it at all nor do I have increased appetite or vivid dreams.

There are no interactions listed in drug interaction checkers. But mirtazapine is a weird drug, with confusing and complicated mechanisms of action. I did see some studies where it was used as a treatment for amphetamine dependence. I wonder if there could possibly be some cross tolerance between them? But I read on another forum someone talking about being prescribed both mirtazapine and Adderall and said "Adderall seems to override the mirtazepine in a big way" and another person said they used mirtazepine to potentiate amphetamines, yet decrease the unwanted side effects. Since you are on a pretty low dose and have only been taking it for 2 weeks, perhaps mirtazapine's antihistamine effects could be prominent even if you aren't feeling drowsy - this is the receptor responsible for the sedation and decrease in anxiety. Do you think the Adderall may have just felt different than usual, like more subtle with less side effects but still working?

No not at all, at least with me. In fact, I've noticed since Ive been remeron(bout 3 years now at 30mg) that I got enhanced effect when compared to when I was off. It also seemed my tolerance hasnt really been affected in that I didnt need to raise my vyvanse dose higher than 40mg and I feel that I get the same therepeutic effect I did when I started. It might just be that you are still getting the heavy sedative effects of mirtazapine into the next day. That shit knocked me out like nothing I ever took when I started and I would feel groggy until later in the afternoon. It sure as hell made opiates hit me hard.

There are no interactions listed in drug interaction checkers. But mirtazapine is a weird drug, with confusing and complicated mechanisms of action. I did see some studies where it was used as a treatment for amphetamine dependence. I wonder if there could possibly be some cross tolerance between them? But I read on another forum someone talking about being prescribed both mirtazapine and Adderall and said "Adderall seems to override the mirtazepine in a big way" and another person said they used mirtazepine to potentiate amphetamines, yet decrease the unwanted side effects. Since you are on a pretty low dose and have only been taking it for 2 weeks, perhaps mirtazapine's antihistamine effects could be prominent even if you aren't feeling drowsy - this is the receptor responsible for the sedation and decrease in anxiety. Do you think the Adderall may have just felt different than usual, like more subtle with less side effects but still working?

It felt different in that there was no "good" feeling from the onset. However, I noticed that the negative side effects were diminished. I had some appetite and wasn't feeling really cranky when it was tapering off like I normally am. Overall I suppose it "worked", but not in the way I was wanting/expecting. I might skip like 4-5 days of mirtazapine and then try the adderall again to see if that was making the difference. If not, no big deal :\

No not at all, at least with me. In fact, I've noticed since Ive been remeron(bout 3 years now at 30mg) that I got enhanced effect when compared to when I was off. It also seemed my tolerance hasnt really been affected in that I didnt need to raise my vyvanse dose higher than 40mg and I feel that I get the same therepeutic effect I did when I started. It might just be that you are still getting the heavy sedative effects of mirtazapine into the next day. That shit knocked me out like nothing I ever took when I started and I would feel groggy until later in the afternoon. It sure as hell made opiates hit me hard.

Yeah I was reading that too about the possible potentiation. It's weird, I never even feel groggy or different at all since I've been taking it. I took some Kratom last night, the usual dose I take every few days, and barely felt it at all. Very odd.

Yea mitrazpine permantly raised my meth tolerance, snorting 40mg used to get me wired all day now I can take up to 150mg and not feel really good euphoria like before. When I first realized it I thought I naturally built an tolerance, took 3 months of, did 100mg today (insufflated) and i feel like I took 10mg of adderall, no euphoria just slight focus and physical symptoms nothing intense

How does snorting 100 mg of meth after taking a three month break and it not feeling as strong as when you used to snort 40 mg of meth prove mitrazipine caused permanent tolerance to meth?