• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Is marijuana addiction serious or real?

Addiction as a disease works for some situations such as the mindsets of people in AA or NA, but to pigeon hole the definition as such is very short sighted and only hinders our understanding of it.

"Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors"

https://www.asam.org/for-the-public/definition-of-addiction

A disease is:
"A disease is a particular abnormal condition that affects part or all of an organism and that consists of a disorder of a structure or function. The study of disease is called pathology, which includes the study of cause. Disease is often construed as a medical condition associated with specific symptoms and signs. It may be caused by external factors such as pathogens or by internal dysfunctions, particularly of the immune system, such as an immunodeficiency, or by a hypersensitivity, including allergies and autoimmunity."

Referring to addiction as a disease is not the result of an AA/NA movement. It does not "pigeon hole" the definition, it actually is the result of the progression of knowledge and further understanding of the disorder. The concept of addiction being a disease is what has evolved the idea that addiction is the result of weakness and/or poor morals/choices into the understanding that it is much deeper than just a bad choice. The disease concept allows for the understanding that addiction is more than just the physical act of ingesting a drug, that the substances affect the mind and body and alters how they operate.

Salutations,

As a result of "expert" propaganda my province is going to ban personal cultivation while we're supposed to disapear from the public view, which defeats the point of consuming THC "recreatively", in groups. Instead they'll want us to stay away from windows, preferably in bed with both our hands on top presumably... Doing nothing, talking to no one... Having socio-toxic THC-centric smoke laced with pesticides, graciously over-taxed, etc... All In The Name Of Children, so... Consequently i think it's not abusing to want to know how "real" the "addiction", in the real world, in real dollars - MONEY. How may kids were saved, how many were not, to begin with. Then more presicely, how many in 2014 compared to Trudeau's "transparent" era, etc...

It it's that real then obviously there must be individuals to account for that, hence a fraction of the canuck population. Then how about annual budgets? Etc., etc.

Name-calling meant as diversion starts to sound over-done, like the reefer madness era when doctors could sterilize the "feeble of mind" by the thousands, sexually... the same as nuisible animals.

When i see how the collège of médecins reacted all along relatively to cannabis i just can't trust our "experts"/"elite" anymore, especially those with the power to KILL. Too many self-serving profe$$ional groups have lost my respect, some of their invading propaganda distributed on TV makes me feel like an alien in danger in some foreing country. And i still can't hope for a few simple statistics numbers!

How many kids were enslaved by cannabis in 2014 vs 2016?

Think of it, if it's so hard to provide basics imagine the not so obvious. Just how many kids in "rehab" and how much did it cost would do fine with me, except perhaps it would also be a good idea to keep an eye on the suicide rate, 'cause of the Straight Inc,/Narconon effect (Fix-My-Kid)... That way it would be easier to pile up similar aspects in a balance, to compare "saving" from the "harm" of "mari-caca" vs HOMICIDE by POLICE for the sake of 475 cases of ABUSE - since that's what this is all about, abuse. Not cannabis itself actually, right??

So we're silent/contemplative when the SPVM-GTi police walks away with deadly encounters because it's just "stoner$"/"droÿés" anyway, in other words the 475 statistically-ellusive children of planet Itnoc justify the KILLING of an adult over weed not even his own. Because Canada can, because it's 2016, euh... 2017 i mean... Or because 0.000x per cent, eventually.

How many in 2014, how many in 2016? How much in 2014, how much in 2016? What's so hard about it if it's real and hence corresponds to public money anyway!

Good day, have fun!!

Last edited:
Environment will always play a factor in addictions which cannot be labeled as a disease.

A lot of factors can lead to addiction, just as most every disease.

No one labels working in a coal mine a disease, but there are a lot of hazards that accompany working in a coal mine.

I usually only smoke at night but I smoke like a fiend (bongloads every 20 minutes or blunts every 30.) When I run out from time to time it's not a huge deal.

I'd say it can be addictive but the addiction is pretty much a joke IME.

Environment will always play a factor in addictions which cannot be labeled as a disease.

Environment plays a factor in many other diseases also though. I would say the majority of the world's health problems and illnesses are somehow related to the thinking, behavior, upbringing or environment of the sufferer.

I usually only smoke at night but I smoke like a fiend (bongloads every 20 minutes or blunts every 30.) When I run out from time to time it's not a huge deal.

I'd say it can be addictive but the addiction is pretty much a joke IME.

Why don't you try just taking a couple hits next time and engage yourself in an activity that appeals to you and see if that isn't enough? I say this because as I got older and I looked back at the way I used drugs when I was younger, I realized I did way more than I needed of every drug without realizing it. I didn't realize how pleasurable a drug could be if you didn't abuse it, but instead used it to enhance an already interesting activity.

Salutations everybody,

I didn't realize how pleasurable a drug could be if you didn't abuse it...

That's one most significant key-word here i believe: "abuse".

Well, this fall it happens some "expert$" and "spe¢iali$ts" event is scheduled to be held at the Mariott hotel in Montréal, again (...), and their main topic - you guessed it - is:

30b1dgw.jpg
ADDICTION

Citizens living in Québec or Ontario who understand french can attend to the separate French-speaking gathering where local High-Profile personalities (read "prohibitionist crusaders") as Marie-Ève Morin and Didier Jutras-Aswad will be active participants, e.g. on October 19 exactly (ref.: cpmdependance.ca).

Here's the main English-speaking parallel event planned to occur in Niagara Falls starting that same day:

[ https:// www.csam-smca.org/events/2017-csam-annual-meeting-and-scientific-conference-niagara-falls/ ]
2017 CSAM Annual Meeting and Scientific Conference – Niagara Falls, ON
October 19, 2017 - October 21, 2017
All Day

6755 Fallsview Boulevard, Niagara Falls, Ontario, L2G 3W7

« The Canadian Society of Addiction Medicine (La societe medicale canadienne sur l’addiction) welcomes you to our Annual Meeting and Scientific Conference October 19 through October 21 in Niagara Falls, Ontario.

Our 2017 conference will build on last year’s conference, our most successful so far, by highlighting new research findings, sociopolitical ideas and treatment approaches to addictions. “Addiction: The Changing Landscape” is this year’s theme as it reflects evolving shifts in addiction issues in Canada. Our conference will address the many challenging issues in addiction medicine: the changing legislative landscape and rapidly evolving research on
marijuana; the medical and public health crisis in the opiate epidemic; the potential re-emergence of tobacco addiction through electronic delivery devices (E-cigarettes and vaping), and other emergent issues in addictions.
»​

So...

M'well, lets just hope they can tell the difference between addiction to cannabis vs addiction to abuse, precisely.

Good day, have fun!! =D

Last edited:
All that I can offer is my own personal experience.

Many years ago I went through a period where I was smoking large amounts of very strong cannabis... all day, every day. I definitely felt more depressed and miserable when I ran out than I normally did before I started smoking it, but to me it seemed like purely a mental addiction.

I don't remember any physical discomfort, insomnia or anything that I have encountered when coming off of other substances like opioids, alcohol or benzodiazepines.

It felt more like when my girlfriend went away on vacation, or when I couldn't play guitar for a while after hand surgery. In other words, I missed it. A lot. I'm sure that there were some actual changes to things like serotonin and dopamine, but I can't say that it was really any worse than the loss of any other enjoyable "activity" that I was accustomed to.

I do know of one friend who has been a chronic (no pun intended!) morning-till-night pot smoker all of his adult life, and he claims to get physically ill (nausea, aches, etc.) when he doesn't have it. He's the only person I have ever known to get "strung out" on marijuana though, and I've known a LOT of heavy tokers over the years.

I suppose that anything taken to excess can become an addiction, because it all effects our chemistry in some way. Falling in love makes your hormones surge. Gambling causes an adrenaline rush. Then take it away and, well, you're not going to be a very happy camper!

Marijuana addiction is real. A lot of marijuana addicts refuse to see it as such. You see all the excuses everywhere on the forums and you hear them from all the stoners in real life. Being an addict means you're also a compulsive liar, both towards others but mostly to yourself.

"The drug or withdrawals aren't as bad as insert x hard drug". - breaking your pinky finger doesn't suck as much as breaking your neck. It's still a broken bone. It's still real. It still sucks.

"I used to be a real addict and used xxx for xxx years, trust me weed is nothing". Good for you! You're a real warrior. I bow down in awe of all your drug taking badassery. Replacing one drug with another isn't fixing your addiction, it's replacing. You're right though, weed addiction >>>> hard drug addiction so you've made a step in the right direction and are probably living a more fulfilling live as before. If you could also drop the weed, imagine how free you could really be!

"It doesn't interfere with my life and I only smoke at night because I want to" - doesn't that sound like an excuse to you? Marijuana disrupts your REM sleep. See those big dark rings under your eyes? It's because you never get a full night's sleep because your brain is constantly fogged up with cannabinoids. Sleep deprivation affects your life, you just don't notice it because you're so used to it. Do you need high doses of caffeine to get yourself going in the morning? Do you ever find people talking to you when you're not high and not being able to remember what they were just talking about? Do you find yourself getting irritable when it's time for you to go smoke up but something/someone is holding you back from doing so?

"I use it to alleviate x mental illness I've diagnosed myself with. I use it medicinally." - whatever it is (depression, anxiety, insomnia) chances are you've actually developed symptoms of that disorder through your consistent daily use of 'erbs. Sure it can be used medicinally, but imo most people who claim to be "medicinal" users are full of shit and just like smoking dope too much.

The problem is real. The deniers make about as much sense as flat earthers, climate change deniers and creationists. Is it a serious problem that could have an enormous impact on society? Not really, cannabis addicts impair their own well being and mental abilities to a mild/moderate level. They might upset their loved ones because they are high and never really present in the moment. But you won't see them breaking in or doing robberies because they need to get high...

In short, I feel a lot of people deny/underestimate the effects daily cannabis use can have on one's life. And when you're in it, it is hard to see to what extent it is affecting you. Does that mean it's worse than alcohol or tobacco and should be illegal? In a world where teenagers are prescribed amphetamines and opioid pain killers are handed out like candy, no it should absolutely not be illegal and receive the stigma it does.

Salutations,

Marijuana addiction is real. A lot of marijuana addicts refuse to see...

M'well, count me out mister Kevin Sabet doctor!! Thank you.

:p

All that I can offer is my own personal experience.

It's never been much different for me neither, so lets find out what reply i can return you!

:)

Many years ago I went through a period where I was smoking large amounts of very strong cannabis... all day, every day.

M'yeah, man walked on the moon many decades ago but the Commonwealth's children still self-poison themselves while sucessions of contemplative governments pass, because for our "elites" it's just more convenient and less risky for their very own image, e.g. self-serving if the voters will "cooperate" (...)!

And it seems the readers of Macleans did just that when told about "Marahuana - The new menace". Hence, actually the "evil" herb once triggered the imaginations of economically wealthy Canuck pioneers with an education in days when electricity was a novelty quite unseen in rural environments...

That's were part of the roots are.

The bigot anti-cannabic prohibitionist movement has no head, no specific identity; it's like a religion capable of surviving generations of humans (unless cannabis is plain de-scheduled and even removed from international UN treaties, which is why Trudeau won't do it). So, how come such omnipotent "elite" manage to continue to fail fixing the consumption method, for starters, if it's not because their bipolar logic only allows total abstaining vs self-vilification, which systematically contaminates "scientific" data pertaining to the noble molecules alone. That's convenient indeed, for them, the bigots and their multiplying hate-lover/love-hater offspring.

Instead or genuine science what we have today is a system quite too satisfied that decent citizens were born and died without ever really hearing the truth about why lives had to be irremediably destroyed, after mis-guided infliction of trauma once caused permanent prejudice, etc., which is wrong beyond words when the victim is those very same vulnerable teenagers the socio-toxic bigots pretend to "save". Leaving kids exposed to the combustion of paper + glue, pesticide lacing as from Hydropothecary vs myclobutanil (a FORBIDEN pesticide NOT approved for smoker use! Though the "black market" hardly cares anyway!), euh... Then there's the ritual focussing on abuse-promoting paraphernalia for long minutes, many times a day, many days per week, many weeks per months, ad viternam: e.g. some cumulative/repeated highlighting effect IMHO!! Oh and lets not also mention THC-centric genetic selection that emerged simply because of "the buzz" dynamic that sells mari-caca to consumers turned into self-destructive automatons.

Etc., euh... By the way, thank you mister Sabet for helping me fine-tune my own conceptions of other cannabis realities.

;)

I definitely felt more depressed and miserable when I ran out...

Hummm... You see i know how that's like when i recall SMOKING hashish. Even worse, this was my consumption tool back then:

The one marked "tokeu". By my present standards this was utterly awful and ugly. Thanks to the superior minds of, euh... self-serving politicians. Many batches of them! Like a population of lemmings in a video game...

8)

...I started smoking it, but to me it seemed like purely a mental addiction...

Does this expression really account for all of the relevant realities? There's the fact that you were SMOKING it, ABUSING it and also Multi-Intoxicating from it...

Now if there was some adversarial circumstances as well this only spells trouble to me, not to mention when dealing with young persons who didn't get an opportunity to learn how to behave much the same way we teach children about alcohol before the very day they hit 18.

I don't remember any physical discomfort, insomnia or anything that I have encountered when coming off of other substances like opioids, alcohol or benzodiazepines.

Personally i'd argue there's trouble when one feels enslaved. Adults being enslaved willingly is one thing, so i say please lets respect them, but then i understand the need to "think of the children". Yet, just not the logic behind a series of UN treaties which also escaped the scrutiny of Louise Arbour, UN insider and once a High-Profile juge at the supreme court, etc., who gave some enlightening speech following UNGASS 2016, demonstrating a few civil servants are out there to really promote higher moral values, In The Name Of Children no doubt.

Today i wish i could go back in time and become my own guide at avoiding the traps left around for us to fall in, because today i DON'T feel enslaved at all, on the contrary - I'M FREE, at last. No thanks to the Liberal party, past, present and future!

I do know of one friend who has been a chronic (no pun intended!) morning-till-night pot smoker all of his adult life, and he claims to get physically ill (nausea, aches, etc.) when he doesn't have it. He's the only person I have ever known to get "strung out" on marijuana though, and I've known a LOT of heavy tokers over the years.

Please pay close attention to the logic in comparing those 2 items here. On one side we got a man who's pre-existing illnesses resurface after stopping treatment, which is hardly equivalent to ADDICTION, DEPENDENCY, SLAVERY and what not. As a chronic user myself i can only admire how flawed that could seem in the real world, much insufficient to support a government that got an unarmed man KILLED by POLICE over 8 oz of cannabis not even his own.

So in my opinion there's tremendous inflation of the "consequences" when it comes to cannabis comparatively to the true dangers in society, or assymetric multi-standard management to say the least. All on planet itnoc.

Your other sample is about ABUSE as you put it yourself: e.g. "HEAVY" + SMOKERS (of what could as well be restricted to THC-centric substances)... So, do i need to develop further, other than to point out perhaps it's ABUSE and Self-Vilification of a noble plant which are the problem after all?...

As mister Sabet argued above, we often see what we expect to find.

I suppose that anything taken to excess can become an addiction, because it all effects our chemistry in some way.

There's a lot more than what meets the eye when it comes to habits which can enslave us. As a hashish smoker i clearly remember i got a cold nose BEFORE actually consuming my hashish in this self-poisoning "tokeu" i showed you. No brain chemistry here, at least *NOT* from cannabis!...

So you see i'm just saying it would be important to at least attempt to separate cannabis-specific effects from the rest imposed to us via the passive attitudes of politicians who can only talk about total abstainance in a drug-free world utopia. Incapable of "saving" anyone, quite on the contrary: these are socio-toxic self-serving agents who sacrifice life like Emily F. Murphy sending young persons to prisons, the "feeble of mind" to sexual sterilization, etc., etc.

Hence that's kind of the reason why i find it's no trivial matter to write about "serious"/"real" ADDICTION to CANNABIS exactly.

Good day, have fun!! =D

Last edited:
Yeah it's serious. Some people compulsively smoke it and it interferes with their lives etc.
Is it life threatening serious? No.

Honestly I have never had a problem with any sort of addiction or need for cannabis. If you have any history of addiction to some sort of drug or abusive use of a drug, then I would advise you to either read more forums about other peoples story.

Now if that doesn't help clear up your addiction question, then listen to DoctorMolecule.

Salutations,

...listen to DoctorMolecule.

I'll rephrase this since my remark on popularity contests was deleted for being excessively rude, it appears...

Please take note that i still don't welcome any advice from a newbie who didn't exist before some controversy occured, just a couple days ago in this occurence.

Now blow me up if you don't like it!

Anyway those are times when i value my [ IGNORE ] list and hence i'd suggest others to do the same, in accordance with play-nice rules, etc.

Fair enough??

Good day, have fun!! :|