• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction Is it safe to take kratom if you are also taking cymbalta, remeron, respiradone

Juicewrldfan

Bluelighter
Is it safe?

-40 mg cymbalta in morning
- 1mg at bed
- 7.5mg remeron at bed

My wife wants to take some kratom and I’m not so sure it’s safe. She is diagnosed with MDd with psychotic features by the way. I know kratom has mild antipsychotic like properties but we are not using it for that if she takes it.

I just wanted to see if anyone sees harm? I’m skeptical about giving it to her with all those meds and its inhibition of the major metabolic enzyme for most drugs. And it’s my wife so I don’t want to only use my own opinion even if once I dig deeper I feel it is safe…I would want to have a second opinion. Would just ask the dr but she would like to take it today if anyone has experience with it or knowledge about it to help me make a decision with her before I tell her what I think for her to consider the risk verses benefit.

And also most doctors frown upon kratom in general and go immediately into addiction speals…she has used kratom before just not since being on meds other than vyvanse which obviously she can’t take right now

I’m thinking risk of SS?

Last edited:
In short yes, it is safe. That is within reason (i.e., not a 100 grams of day). Any interaction in a metabolic sense would be minimal. The real concern is of course addiction to kratom.

Kratom does not have antipsychotic activity, this is a myth. It does bind as antagonist at D1 and 5HT2a, but it's effect there is mostly negligible afaik.

Kratom definitely is psychotogenic, psychosis from kratom is fairly well documented, and I have experienced these symptoms myself. I would say the most prominent feature is 'alienated thoughts'. It mostly occurs at higher doses or long term use. I suffered a full blown but relatively mild psychosis from combining kratom in high doses with too many psychedelics and alcohol. Kratom psychosis usually goes away fairly quickly if you stop using it, if you continue using it the symptoms persist. I learned that the hard way, sucks when you're physically dependent on the thing giving you psychosis .

I took kratom for a year with 2mg risperidone at night. I do not recall anything majorly bad that first time. A few years later I tried it again and it gave me akathisia, although other things may have contributed.

I'm not really sure how it interacts with antidepressants, I haven't taken any for a long time.

I'd just be cautious, and stick to only occasional low doses. Not optimal, obviously. Kratom has 50+ different alkaloids offering up pharmacological interaction potential. It's kind of a dirty drug, in that way.

In my experience, all the bad interactions and side effects I've encountered only occurred with high doses or long term daily use. The alkaloids start to build up in the system and it causes problems.

Last edited:
In short yes, it is safe. That is within reason (i.e., not a 100 grams of day). Any interaction in a metabolic sense would be minimal. The real concern is of course addiction to kratom.

Kratom does not have antipsychotic activity, this is a myth. It does bind as antagonist at D1 and 5HT2a, but it's effect there is mostly negligible afaik.

Kratom definitely is psychotogenic, psychosis from kratom is fairly well documented, and I have experienced these symptoms myself. I would say the most prominent feature is 'alienated thoughts'. It mostly occurs at higher doses or long term use. I suffered a full blown but relatively mild psychosis from combining kratom in high doses with too many psychedelics and alcohol. Kratom psychosis usually goes away fairly quickly if you stop using it, if you continue using it the symptoms persist. I learned that the hard way, sucks when you're physically dependent on the thing giving you psychosis .

I took kratom for a year with 2mg risperidone at night. I do not recall anything majorly bad that first time. A few years later I tried it again and it gave me akathisia, although other things may have contributed.

I'm not really sure how it interacts with antidepressants, I haven't taken any for a long time.

I'd just be cautious, and stick to only occasional low doses. Not optimal, obviously. Kratom has 50+ different alkaloids offering up pharmacological interaction potential. It's kind of a dirty drug, in that way.

In my experience, all the bad interactions and side effects I've encountered only occurred with high doses or long term daily use. The alkaloids start to build up in the system and it causes problems.
As far as addiction she has used heroin for several months before and quit no issue. She is the most terrified of drugs I’ve ever known a person to be. Will not even touch weed and she shouldn’t now that we know she is inclined to have psychosis if triggered although it’s did because she has shrooms with me more than once, taken weed with me once (hated it), hates Vicodin because it makes her too loopy. Hell she was taking half a tramadol when she had them oresufor her tooth…and it had her loopy

So she hates that feeling. Doesn’t like feeling high particularly and now that she has had a scare of psychosis (must be terrifying), I don’t see that changing.

I will worn her about the psychosis you experienced. I’m not sure if it will in her or not depending on the disorders I think depression with psychotic features may target different areas of the brain that cause psychosis to cause perceptual changes but I’m not willing to test that theory on her lol…that would be cruel as hell…

And I’m not laughing at her at all, I’m laughing at how crazy I’d have to be to do that. Some real Dr death shit right there.

@Snafu in the Void So would you say if you had to guess for you is it a low risk of psychosis at low doses for you? Or do you get it frequently?

Idk if I want to let her chance it if psychosis is a major risk.

Edit: I’m just going to tell her I suggest she doesn’t take it. She just wants to take it when her anxiety is too high. It can get bad…really bad…but if it triggers audio hallucinations that isn’t worth it just going to make her anxiety 10x worse.

Last edited: