• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Ethnobotanicals Is it possible to get withdrawals from chamomile

polarthedog

Bluelighter
I know it stimulates the gaba receptors, so wouldn’t that mean you could become slightly dependent?
For that matter, couldn’t valerian root or lemon balm also cause dependence? I’m asking because I want to use them for anti depressant withdrawal, but only if it’s impossible to become dependent, otherwise it defeats the purpose

I would think it's technically possible to obtain some level of physical dependence on almost anything, however I am unsure if chamomile has any significant gabaergic effect - at least enough to cause dependence.

You shouldn't be concerned about getting addicted to chamomile if that's what you're asking?

You'd probably be the first in history to be addicted to chamomile. I don't think it's possible.

I would suggest looking into valerian, compared to chamomile it seemed to actually have an effect (and yet still is not addictive)

I would think it's technically possible to obtain some level of physical dependence on almost anything, however I am unsure of chamomile has any significant gabaergic effect - at least enough to cause dependence.

You shouldn't be concerned about getting addicted to chamomile if that's what you're asking?

You'd probably be the first in history to be addicted to chamomile. I don't think it's possible.
I don’t think I’m addicted,but I was wanting to start using it like 10 times a day to treat withdrawals, and I just wanted to know if it’s possible

I don’t think I’m addicted,but I was wanting to start using it like 10 times a day to treat withdrawals, and I just wanted to know if it’s possible
Knock yourself out, if it works for you go for it.

However be careful of teas with things like St. John's Wart and things like that - if you were to drink that 10x per day it could have adverse effects

But chamomile is completely harmless

@polarthedog I looked it up and found a nice cased study. Ultimately chamomile's pharmacology and effect is still unknown to science, although:

"Chamomile’s anxiolytic mode of action is unknown. However, several lines of evidence suggest that some of its flavonoid constituents may produce anxiolytic activity by affecting γ-amino butyric acid (GABA), noradrenalin (NA), dopamine (DA), and serotonin neurotransmission [5052] or by modulating hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenocortical axis function"

so it's subtle effect apparently has a complex mode of action.