• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

is it okay to take Tianeptine and Selegiline at the same time?

clay404

Bluelighter
title.

does this pose any risk? I know that the Deprenyl is an MAO inhibitor - and the Tianeptine works on the serotonin system (I think that it also says in the instructions not to take with MAO inhibitors).

has anyone ever done this combo before?

also, can you quit either of these cold turkey relatively safely?

MAOI's can be very, very dangerous when combined with a vast majority of medications. If it says not to take that particular drug, then do not take it. Please be careful and listen man.

Go to sites like drugs.com and the like and type in the name of one of those medicines, you should find a drug information packet that lists all interactions. There aren't many people here who can answer this question.

Selegiline (in low doses) is a MAO-B inhibitor. Serotonin is metabolized by MAO-A.
Of course, when there is no more MAO-B left for the Selegiline to bind to (as is the case with very high doses, like 30 mg/day), it will also inhibit MAO-B.

Now, what makes this even more interesting is that Tianeptine isn't an inhibitor, but rather an enhancer of Serotonin Reuptake, which supposedly somehow results in more Dopamine being released (which, in turn, is metabolized by MAO-B).

So yeah, the tricky thing with Tianeptine is that nobody is quite sure how and why it works (which it undoubtedly does), making the risk difficult to assess.

I have tried this combo 2 or 3 times, in low does, I think 2.5mg of selgeline and 12.5mg of tianeptine. I just feel fine on it. Having said that I use neither drug every single day so there would have been little if any build-up of selegiline, which I thik has a fairly long half-life (compared to tianeptine anyway) ...

I am also very interested in this combination,altho I have been reading a lot of posts on different sites about it,they always talk about a low dose[or normal dose] of tianeptine combined low dose selegiline ,and there is my problem,i use tianeptine in higher doses for c-ptsd and afcourse there are no posts about that.From what I have been reading is, that it is oke[low dose both] and titrate slowly.I myself would keep a low tyramine diet just to be shure and something aside for hypertension or serotinine crisis.But I agree it is a tricky one.

No it's not safe due to both acting on serotonin and you may risk serotonin syndrome

For questions in the future: it feels safe.
Being on 5mg Selegiline and 12.5mg two times a day Tianeptine. No side effects at all.