• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Is it better/easier to detox off of Oxycodone directly or off of Bupe?

Masemase

Greenlighter
Thanks in advance for your help and everyone’s posts that are encouraging and informative. I also posted this in the recovery section but felt it might belong here as well.

My fight with opiates has been for almost a decade, starting and stopping then starting again like many here. In fact my first post here was in 2011 when I was starting an inpatient bupe study, which helped me taper off of Suboxone the first time successfully.

I started taking oxycodone again a year later, switched to bupe again a few years after that, then got off of bupe again last year with some outpatient help before starting on the oxycodone again.

I am ready to stop, finally, once and for all, and I have the support of a GF this time, which I feel will be instrumental to my success. I am currently taking between 10mg and 20mg of oxycodone per day, which is not a particularly huge habit, but considering it has been for over a decade now, it is certainly one that is ingrained.

I have a good amount of Suboxone leftover from last year, and my plan was to flush my oxycodone, switch to bupe, and then do a relatively quick taper off of that (maybe 14 days). However, I have done a bunch more reading this go-round, and it seems like maybe the detox from bupe is worse than going off of oxycodone directly, given that the half-life is so much longer.

One thing that is important to me is the ability to continue with my life rather than having to be out of commission for a week or so, which I feel the bupe allows me to do. That said, now that I have someone “in the loop” I feel like making the jump direct from the percs cold turkey might be the way to go, even if it means being a zombie for 5-7 days.

In all likelihood I’ll probably be reaching out for professional help, even though my experience with that has been mixed at best and unhelpful at worst; I have found that these forums are typically more knowledgable and helpful than anything.

So my question is: what is your thoughts on detoxing directly off of an oxycodone dose of 15mg versus transitioning to then tapering off of bupe?

Again, thanks so much in advance.

hey there.

How long can you go without needing another oxy or how long can you wait till the wd's get to bad?
How much bupre do you have?

I haven't really tried yet, but I can probably go 12 hours or so.

I have I believe 15-20 strips of the 8 mg/2 mg but will check later.

Quick taper with bupe is always an option. Used to leave me fairly withdrawal-less but probably wouldn’t work for me these days having now been on bupe daily for years and years.

-GC

Na not recently but I’m kinda gearing up for it in the next year or so as my supply (large amount given to me by a friend) is slowly drying up and it’s probably about time..

Last time I tried was probably 7’ish years ago, tried cold turkey off 4mg and it didn’t go well. Tried using kratom which didn’t even touch the sides, surprisingly loperamide and tramadol were better. Got about 12 days and felt like was still climbing in WD symptoms, it was hell.

Everyone’s different though, I’ve always had bad withdrawals off all substances.

Now I’m on 1mg and trying to drop even lower before getting off. I’ve been on .5mg before but can’t seem to get back there.

-GC

The bupe is going to be massive overkill for a 20mg per day oxy habit. If you don't want to jump yet then divide the pills into smaller doses that you can slowly taper off of. Oxy has a fairly short half life and the withdrawal from it will be less protracted, taking bupe may put you in a worse scenario.

The bupe is going to be massive overkill for a 20mg per day oxy habit. If you don't want to jump yet then divide the pills into smaller doses that you can slowly taper off of. Oxy has a fairly short half life and the withdrawal from it will be less protracted, taking bupe may put you in a worse scenario.

Thanks for your response. I might try that first.

I had horrible wd w bupe. Didn’t have enough to taper. Went from splitting 20mg oc a day to 2 norc 10s. Still tapering down.