• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is heroin more effective when taken at a happy/pleasurable moment?

cowardescent

Bluelighter
I've always been curious about this. I decided to save the heroin I got from a friend for a good day as opposed to just shooting up on an average/mediocre day. I took it on the warmest day of the year 4 months ago and my reaction was "like a kid in the playground". Smiling and very relaxed. When we were walking back to his house, some people actually thought that I was mentally disabled because I was too happy. =D

The week after was pretty low psychologically for me but thankfully I'm not an addict. Back to the question though, does a 'good environment' enhance the effectiveness of heroin and other opiates or does it really make no difference? I know with psychedelics, that's pretty much what guarantees a good or bad trip along with the mindset.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not a heroin expert. But I have a lot of experience with opiates. And I would say setting/attitude etc... doesn’t really matter.

It’s always a good time for opiates. Like, if you have some, then carpe fucking diem. The moment to take them has arrived.

For me the best time was always when I was in withdrawals. The quick change from feeling like absolute dog shit to suddenly feeling euphoric was always the best. Obviously I don't recommend getting hooked in order to get maximum enjoyment... It's a loosing battle and it's not worth it.

Before getting hooked I didn't really notice it always being better on a happy/good day. Sometimes I remember being in a good mood then using and then feeling even better, other times it could actually lesson my good day in a way by sorta dulling my emotions and/or making me more irritable.

I would think that your mindset would reflect the experience IMO because if you are feeling depressed or if your addicted, the main high really is relief from pain or withdrawal (same goes for people who take opioids for physical pain: the main outcome is just relief). Do you get what I mean?

It's just my thought, people may disagree I have little personal experience with them; the only opioid I've ever tried has been codeine.

For me the best time was always when I was in withdrawals. The quick change from feeling like absolute dog shit to suddenly feeling euphoric was always the best. Obviously I don't recommend getting hooked in order to get maximum enjoyment... It's a loosing battle and it's not worth it.

Before getting hooked I didn't really notice it always being better on a happy/good day. Sometimes I remember being in a good mood then using and then feeling even better, other times it could actually lesson my good day in a way by sorta dulling my emotions and/or making me more irritable.

This. Totally this.

God so many times where we'd have struggled sick for sooo long then finally late at night we finally had our shot. Man it's some of my fondest memories of otherwise pretty dark times. Just how over the top happy I was when it was finally time. I could have my shot, watch tv and go to sleep.

On the emotional side of it, while I don't think it makes all that much difference, I would say if anything feeling down was the better time to use heroin. Like with withdrawal, the contrast made it a little better. Even when I was still sick just finally having the shot in my hand instantly cheered me up so much. And almost every time I'd think about how sick it was how over the top happy I was to finally have my shot after so much suffering to get it.

It's just as good in any setting, unless when you have to stay focused... :)

For me opiates were much more effective at giving me euphoria when I was severely depressed.

Besides the tolerance increase from years of use the jump from a severely depressed state to opiate euphoria is greater than a reasonably happy persons jump to that same euphoria. Hence depressed people may get a greater euphoric feeling then someone who's using purely for recreation instead of self medicating depression.

I agree, I'm an escapism-user as well, trying to escape the suffering of everyday life, and that escape makes the euphoria and the relief of being released of your suffering so intense that escapism-use is definitely the most intense way of using drugs. Also because you pay way more attention to the effects instead of someone who just wants a mood-lift while going to a party but who's main-goal is to keep dancing and be social and so on...

When you use at home, and alone, and want to escape from your suffering you are really noticing the effects into way more detail, you notice how your suffering goes away and what feelings and state of mind comes to be after having used, which makes the experience way more conscious ergo way more intense...!

That's also why escapisme-users are way more prone to get addicted to a or probably more drugs than people who just use a drug now and then for fun.

(when I'm talking about people who use at a party I'm talking about Cocaine users of course, I think most Opioid users who start using Opioids more than only now and then are mostly escapism-users; because it's not a drug that you use to party or be socially active, it's really a drug that's perfect to sink away, away from this world ergo making it a perfect way to escape your suffering, while Coke will make you euphoric and will make you forget your suffering as well, you are still able to think quite good, when you're on Opioids you're too gone in your head when you're nodding off to even think about anything, more or less or all the way, Opioids are very solitaire drugs while Cocaine is much more sociable)

I think people can be curious about the euphoric effects of Opioids, and those effects can be very addictive, but you need to someone able to enjoy just doing nothing, being alone, not going out, not being sociable but just be alone and do nothing, don't interact with others and so on, which - or at least so I think - make chronic use of Opioids less appealing to people who use just for fun than for example Cocaine, because with Opioids it's just about solely the effects of the drug and nothing else; it's not something to lift you up and take part into other activities or such and help you in doing so or make those things more pleasant...

That's why for me personally a Snowball is the ultimate escape from this world; able to nod off but not having to do any effort to stay awake, the Heroin taking away the possible sharp edges of Cocaine and you're still gone in your head and they both intensify each others euphoric effects, which is - to me - like Heaven on earth; dangerous combo, but still, if I use one without the other, I always miss the other, I can only enjoy the effects of each of those two drugs to the fullest when combined with each other (not that I don't enjoy only one of the two on it's own, but there's just something missing then, Heroin and Cocaine are (to me for sure) like two pieces of a puzzle who fit perfectly in each other, as if they where made for each other, a match made in Heaven!), but to each his own of course...

Last edited:
While I afr

Edit. Sorry. My phone is being stupid.

While I agree that taking a dose during WD is obviously a great time to do it, I would never intentionally save my opiates and take it to that point.

For example, I scored some pills this morning. If I had held onto them for 5 hours, I probably would have started early withdrawals and the pills would have been an extremely welcome relief. But I wouldn’t wait on purpose just to accomplish that, if that makes sense.

I’m into semantics now, but just adding that thought since the original post was about “saving” them. I don’t save them. If I have them; they’re going to be consumed.

Last edited:
Yeah I definitely agree with you there. Being in withdrawal tended to be when I most enjoyed having it, but I was never in withdrawal in the first place cause I had any choice in the matter.

Even if I did wait until I was in withdrawal, and in practice I’d probably never be able to last that long, at most it would be until the very first symptoms start like a very mild runny nose at most.

If I did follow that practice, I would probably save a lot of money.... Dose, wait as long as possible until the WD is too much to bear, then dose again.

If only I had willpower. Which I do not, when it comes to opiates. Not even a little.

I doubt almost any of us do. I don’t.

It seems like it shouldn’t be too hard but if I have drugs available I’ll spend all my time thinking about using them till if I haven’t successfully found a good enough justification to use I’ll use on the justification of not having to keep thinking about it anymore.

I find this strange! I am more able to NOT use when I have a stash of drugs then when I do not have any drugs - it calms me down because I know when I really need them very bad I can use them at any given time, while when I'm out of stash, I'm in a total state of panic.

So for me it's more easy to postpone using when I have a stash (and luckily I always have some), and I especially postpone my first hit of the day as long as possible, from early in the morning until the late afternoon mostly, even almost evening (4 or 5 in the afternoon/early evening) and by that time I'm craving that hit so bad that it kicks in like a bomb, making me bounce of the walls and making me probably the most euphoric person in the entire multiverse as we speak lol :)

(tho this only happens once a week, because I mostly only sleep once a week, the rest of the week I'm using day and night non-stop... - so okay, maybe there is something to not being able to 'not use' lol :)