• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

is headache a common experience when using THC oil orally?

pupnik

Bluelighter
I got some great 30:0 ratio of THC to CBD, Reign Drops by Redecan which are sold in Government approved stores in Ontario ; and even though it hits slowly (over 90 mins to peak) I can feel a small dose begin to loosen me up after 10 minutes.
I have been enjoying not smoking for 2 weeks,
but yesterday I took almost a full syringe and got a headache all night.

Just wondering if people are having to navigate their usage around headaches at all.

Sorry you had that happen. I haven’t got aheadache from drops specifically, but sometimes I got so dosed, I’d forget to drink water and end up with a scorcher.
I wonder 2 things:
1. Are you used to a more balanced ratio (like you get from smoking/dry vaping) of thc:cbd?
2. Was taking nearly a full vial new territory, dosage-wise?

The thing that freaks me out about store-bought extracts and tinctures is that I didn’t make it. I know that sounds pompous, but tons if us have been making shatter, oils, edibles for decades and we know our materials and process.
We know some of the gov weed out there is less than perfect, containing serious pesticides (like allot of food, etc.).
If that material is the source, the purified oils are going to contain higher amounts of unwanted toxins.

I just wonder, because you mention using small doses, presumably without issue, then the large dose caused (possibly helped along) the headache.
Maybe I’ve never taken enough at once to get a headache from drops, but usually if I’m too high from cannabis, I get kinda sea-sick.
Could just be a high dose side effect, or that strain is grown with some harsh pesticides, or who knows.

Have you tried other drops from a different manufacturer?
I know that despite being an acid head, I prefer drops like 50:50. Somehow the cbd levels it out for me.

Also two weeks without toking may be giving you some different effects as your body adapts to the oral roa.
I dunno in the end, hope it goes away, Pupnik.

the label on the box says it can make you get schizophrenia faster. cool I wish I knew that

hahaha!
I took almost a full dropper which is 1ml not 40ml, anyway prob the dehydration issue was happening, I had some red wine too, which can do it.

Thanks for input and reminder to drink water

Oh that wine crushes me every time. After 45, alcohol started to make me feel ill. Plus, my dad died of liver cancer at 60. So that scares me away from it. But even a couple months ago had a mega wine hangover from 2 glasses (most i’d had in a good long while), complete with scorcher headache. I think unless our bodies are primed, extra ready for wine, it can be easy to deplete water stores.
Hoping that’s it!
BTW, for those that do imbibe, apparently some cannabinoid actually helps reduce liver damage from alcohol; IIRC, it was indicated in concurrent ingestion. Cool!

I’ve gotten headaches from cannabis smoking but never from oral products really. I second the notion to be wary of products you use and where you shop. Everywhere is different but where I live there’s lot of regulations in an attempt to try and stop what appears to be a growing problem of poorly made or adulterated cannabis products.

Example being cartridges... There was an outbreak of health issues from those because people are putting whatever synthetic terpenes in them for added flavor.

If using oral products I stick with RSO from some place reputable, or make them myself. The cost of buying oil then making your own edibles is just crazy low compared to cost at the rec stores.

-GC

I'm getting it from a government sanctioned storefront, so it's likely medically formulated. cutting back Alcohol to 1/2 glass wine (2.5 oz. max) per day. or equivalent. and focusing on hydration. this helps, no repeat of headache.

Nice, good to hear!
Sometimes i feel like i need a beer helmet with water in it, or a camel-back to force me to drink water. I am bad for that!

Sorry Pupnik! I have no any experience regards this because I take this but occasionally and also in very less ratio as what you have taken. Also, I take a glass of water after 45- 50 mins of this maybe this helps me.

When I was 14 or 15 I and my friend would wander around our tiny town, tripping on cid, he would know EVERY working water tap or fountain. Like behind buildings, in parks, etc. We must have looked funny, all tie-dyed and pie-eyed laying down to drink from those low-placed taps (for hoses).
But it became an essential part of our trips; making a route and sipping from every tap.
Water became this thing we could feel the energies from each pipe, some tased great, others a bit metallic or whatever.
Made me appreciate if not fixate on water.
I feel that water has some kind of memory or something, and cid allows a kind of communication with it.

Funny I stumble onto this thread. I've had a bad cold the last week, sometimes coughing so much my throat and head aches after. The only CBD I have at home is in flower, but I've seen vaping it is a bad idea until I totally get over this cough.

So pull out the THC oil. Bought a 30mL bottle (10mg/mL) about 6 mos ago, but haven't used it much with all the different types of flower I have. Had 2 mL of that the last 2 nights. Helped smooth over the pain. Heck, I'm not saying the THC fixed it (being able to rest the last 3 days this Canadian Thanksgiving has helped too) but my cough is almost gone.

So my experience runs counter to the OP's original idea.

My guess is that the headaches are caused from oxygen deprivation when you are smoking/vaping.

Try drinking more lemon water to help alkalize and hydrate your body. See if that helps.

Try taking smaller hits and drinking a lot of water during/after smoking. I got the same type of headaches and since staying hydrated with a few cups of water per sesh, and making sure i`m not using too much lung power per hit , I've noticed a huge improvement.