• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is having a IV shot of heroin more dangerous if you have it on a empty stomach?

Boku_

Bluelighter
I use heroin maybe once or twice a week but sometimes i might go a good 10 days without using and two times in the past 3 months i have Overdosed and passed out about 5 minutes after having the shot. Both times i have had a friend with me to get help and the first time i ODed an ambulance came and woke me up but the second time i woke up on my own before the paramedics got there.

Both time this has happened i was using in the evening after having a day where i didn't eat any lunch and i was using on an empty stomach. Also both times i have passed out and stopped breathing my dealer has told me it's pure uncut heroin so be careful as it's strong gear. So it could be the heroin is way more potent than usual. My friend used the same gear but didn't overdose but she has a proper habit and is on methadone. Her tolarance is way higher than mine has i've seen her shoot half a gram after she has scored a 1.7 but the dealer admits it cut gear.

FYI i have had about 20 shots of heroin from this same dealer inbetween the dates i overdosed and i was fine. But the only thing i did different on the days i ODed was i had the shot on an empty stomach. Could not eating a proper meal and using heroin increase a person's chance of overdosing?

Both times I overdosed i didn't do anything silly like use right after using medication like valium or have a hit when i was drunk.

I swear the last time i had a shot of gear that my dealer said was uncut and sold to me without him having a chance to cut it i only had a dose of half a point and when i passed out i was able to talk to my friend for about 5 minutes between me having the shot done and passing out. Both times i can remember talking about how good the gear was to friend and thinking to myself that was good and lucky I didn't overdosed but next minute i am lying on the ground waking up thinking what the fuck happened.

Personally I would have to say no, since it enters directly in your bloodstream regardless of your food / drink consumption. Likely your heroin is simply not the same strength throughout the bag (hot spots so to say, either fentanyl or other cuts)

As OpiateKiller said, no. It goes directly into the bloodstream. As a former heroin addict myself, I never noticed a difference when I took a shot on a full stomach or an empty one (I did with pills though). Street heroin can be sketchy as fuck (ie hotspots, fentanyl, carfentanyl, etc.) I noticed I had better quality H when I bought it online and didn't have fentanyl in it (I tested it every single time before I shot).

The dealer will always say its "uncut" just to get a sale (obv not everyone, but there is a good amount). Be careful. If you can buy Narcan from a pharmacist, id definitely recommend it.

I know that it is possible for substances in the bloodstream to pass both ways into and out of the digestive tract, but I could not imagine the quantity and rate being enough to have it make a difference with the stomach being empty, full, or partially full. In theory, if this could happen, I think it could be the duration of action and the serum drug concentration curve over time rather than the absolute, relative, or specific level of narcotisation which takes place which would be affected.

Animal and human tests using morphine, 2,4-dinitrophenylmorphine, dimethylthiambutene, phenadoxone, pethidine, heroin, heterocodeine, hydromorphone, codeine, levorphanol, piminodine, alphaprodine, and methadone labelled with tritium in the 1950s showed the metabolic fate of these drugs, and injected narcotics did indeed show up in gastric juice, duodenum contents and so forth, but the percentage was generally less than 2 per cent after 3, 6, 12, 18, and 24 hours. The Reynolds and Randall book Morphine and Allied Drugs (Toronto, 1957) has the description of these and other tests, such as antitussive and smooth muscle effects,

The bladder can do it too, to a lesser extent.

No, since you aren't taking it orally it will make zero difference.
BTW, your heroin is not uncut. No heroin is ever uncut or even close unless you're literally getting it made yourself at source. Even very high quality heroin is heavily cut.

I'd say maybe.

Opioid use is linked to hypoglycemia, which can result in loss of consciousness on its own. Combined with an excessive dose, you may be more likely to appear to have overdosed with low blood sugar. Certainly more likely to lose consciousness if your blood sugar is very low.

Last edited:
I'd say maybe.

Opioid use is linked to hypoglycemia, which can result in loss of consciousness on its own. Combined with an excessive dose, you may be more likely to appear to have overdosed with low blood sugar. Certainly more likely to lose consciousness if your blood sugar is very low.

Bingo! As I was reading this post, that's what I kept thinking. When I snort pills, I will sometimes throw up (Opanas) within a few minutes of doing it. Empty stomach, but more so dehydration is what causes it with me I've found. And Dude, Please be careful witb that passing out shit. That sounds so dangerous I can't tell you.

I'd say maybe.

I would have to agree with this. Also, from experience, I would say that it is more dangerous to shoot heroin, when your body is run down, tired, malnourished or dehydrated. Anything that highly depletes your energy levels is going to add to the sedation and your bodies abilities to counter the drugs affects.