• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Is gabapentin a NMDA recetor antagonist?

No, not like ketamine or your namesake. It is possible there is some involvement with NMDA receptor in its effects but it is not a direct antagonist.

I do believe it has been found to be, yes. What's stopping you from searching for studies yourself? Curious.

Are you the same user of memantine as before? Perhaps a relative? Just asking...

Well I found something like "gabapentin antagonises the function of the NMDA receptor" or something like that. But I have also read that gabapentin has no affinity for the NMDA receptor.

Well Gabapentin does inhibit glutamate a bit, and glutamate provides some input to NMDA neurons, so maybe Gabapentin inhibits NMDA a bit. Probably not playing a big role in its effects though. I never got dissociation like from regular NMDA antagonists on it.

It does have a dreamy quality to it reminiscent of kappa opiate receptor agonism

Gabapentin is for people that think they get high from crappy POOR bioavailability substances.

I guess if you like only 30-35% B/A absorption then thats your personal choice, but for me GABAPENTIN is completely useless and should be taken off the market.

Now, LYRICA aka Pregabalin > which is basically Gabapentin 2.0 works wonders, Pregabalin has a B/A of fucking <90% orally and yes its expensive as shit but at lest it works very well with benzo's. and it also helps "tactile sensations, bunch of other nasty symptoms from extreme benzo withdrawal" I've been on PREGABALIN 300mg BID for about 7 years now, tolerance is not near as bad as it is with benzodiazepines, but tolerance does increase over time. Sometimes I have to dose 900mg in a day.

It does have a dreamy quality to it reminiscent of kappa opiate receptor agonism

Respectfully, that doesn't mean much at all. It would hold more water if you had said that it feels like, to you, salvia (or even salvinorum a). Salvia isn't just a kappa opiate agonist. That is, unless you were referring to another chemical or herb, which I would guess that you weren't.

Equating one drug to an action of another drug, or saying that such and such drug feels like action on such and such receptor action, is pseudoscience. If there were a significant amount of experiences that concurred, it would mean more too, but as far as I'm aware, you're the only one who's tried to make that connection.

People have said that gabapentin feels like ethanol, weed, cocaine, and/or conventional opiates, the last of which contradicts your blanket-statement.

I'm trying my best not to be rude about this. It just seems to me like pretension.

^.

You ever seen heroin or much more common morphine ghosts? When you are really nodding more than just the mu receptors are hit and this makes for a dreamy (it's very distinct from psychedelics,,) that's all I have to say it's early I didn't take my amps and it's cold

Never heard of that, but I have past experience with opiates. Not doubting it, it is just another thing that I have yet to read about.

That said, you were talking about "kappa opiate receptor agonism", which, though it doesn't exclusively target this complex, more closely references the action of salvia than of heroin and morphine. The main idea stands.

To take another example, a lot of people think that various herbs feel like cannabis. The word for this is cannabamimetic. Many of them do not target the cannabinoid receptors at all.

Please just accept this truth. There's no need to make a big deal about it. I just wanted to respond so that people don't think in a reductive manner.

I'd be curious if the other more typical calcium channel antagonists are similar in experience to Gabapentin.

You guys wanna know what Gabapentin feels like to me? It feels like alpha2delta antagonism lololololol