• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is Dihydrocodeine stronger than Tramadol?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
Because I was prescribed oxycodone and went on to abuse it my doctor refuses point blank to prescribe me any strong opiates, no matter how severe my pain is.
I basically have a choice of codeine, dihydrocodeine or tramadol.
I tried the maximum dose of codeine and it didn't do shit so I switched to tramadol and it worked a little at first, but now I am prescribed the maximum dose (which is 400mg but I usually take 600-700mg) and even that just is no way enough. I'm still in a lot of pain and some days I honestly cannot get out of bed for the pain.

I've never been clear on the strength of Dihydrocodeine but must people say "at least twice as strong as codeine". So on the opioid scale (where oral morphine is a 1) codeine and tramadol are both a 0.1, being 1/10th the potency of oral morphine (IV morphine is a 3), so would that make dihydrocodeine a 0.2-0.25?

Anyone who has experience with these drugs (or even if you just have knowledge of them or an opinion) - is it worth asking my GP to switch to DHC?

Yeah Dihydrocodeine is twice as strong as Tramadol and Codeine hands down. Personally I'd say it may even be 3x stronger. Take the Dihydrocodeine!! How did he find out about the Oxy abuse?

EDIT: DHC is 1/5th the strength of Morphine.

Last edited:
Yeah Dihydrocodeine is twice as strong as Tramadol and Codeine hands down. Personally I'd say it may even be 3x stronger. Take the Dihydrocodeine!! How did he find out about the Oxy abuse?

EDIT: DHC is 1/5th the strength of Morphine.

I was only getting one weeks worth at a time (14 x OC40's and 28 x 10mgIR oxycodone) but I got greedy and told him I was going on a 3 week holiday so I could get 3 weeks at once. Well he only went and called my parents to ask about the holiday so BUSTED. I was kind of scared and admitted to him that I had been buying extra oxy online and that I had been crushing and snorting the OC40s.
To be fair he was very good. He gave me enough oxy to last the rest of that day and he got me an appointment at a methadone clinic first thing the next morning.

Oh, that's great! I will definitely ask to try the DHC! Quite excited now haha.

I was only getting one weeks worth at a time (14 x OC40's and 28 x 10mgIR oxycodone) but I got greedy and told him I was going on a 3 week holiday so I could get 3 weeks at once. Well he only went and called my parents to ask about the holiday so BUSTED. I was kind of scared and admitted to him that I had been buying extra oxy online and that I had been crushing and snorting the OC40s.
To be fair he was very good. He gave me enough oxy to last the rest of that day and he got me an appointment at a methadone clinic first thing the next morning.

Oh, that's great! I will definitely ask to try the DHC! Quite excited now haha.

I'd be careful with DHC (Dihydrocodeine) too as that can be quite euphoric at high doses. I took 420mg of DHC once (14x 30mg tabs) and it felt like a 60mg-90mg dose of Oxy.

EDIT: Where ru from btw?

Sounds great to me. I took 120mg of it once (a friend traded me 4 x 30mg tablets for 2 x 5mg diazepam) and felt a really pleasant buzz. I was on 50mg methadone at the time, too, so it wasn't like I had a really low tolerance.

I'm from England :) you?

Sounds great to me. I took 120mg of it once (a friend traded me 4 x 30mg tablets for 2 x 5mg diazepam) and felt a really pleasant buzz. I was on 50mg methadone at the time, too, so it wasn't like I had a really low tolerance.

I'm from England :) you?

Im from Liverpool! What brand of Oxys were u taking? Currently im on 120mg Shortec (30mg 4x a day. I'm prescribed 56x 10mg and 56x 20mg caps fortnightly despensed). I tried Longtec few years ago but I never liked them.

Why do u take pain meds?

Im from Liverpool! What brand of Oxys were u taking? Currently im on 120mg Shortec (30mg 4x a day. I'm prescribed 56x 10mg and 56x 20mg caps fortnightly despensed). I tried Longtec few years ago but I never liked them.

Why do u take pain meds?

Ah cool, I'm from Newcastle. The slow release ones were OxyContin and I think the instant release were OxyNorm.

Due to a combination of alcoholism and bulimia (cured of both now thank god) I developed a severe acute pancreatitis. They had me on IV morphine every 4 hours for 10 weeks and then my GP switched it to oxy when I got out.
I later had a very violent alcohol withdrawal seizure. I broke four ribs, which healed and also fractured my spine which has never healed properly. I also have two prolapsed discs from that. What are you on them for?

Hey bud was just reading your post with interest, sorry to hear of your troubles.

DHC is by definition an odd one with grey areas clinically. I agree with a previous poster at 1/5 morphine mg for mg, as a general rule. It does however have receptor subtype discrepancies, (I studied it during my undergraduate days)

Tramadol I would separate from, and absolutely never compare with our lovely raw bones type opiate/opioids. The reason being, it has a serotonergic element, rendering it obscure to gather up and tickle your receptors as you hope. Please feel free to ask if you need me to elaborate. Happy to help!!