• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Concentrates Is delta-9-THC the same thing other than price difference compared to "regular" THC?

Drag2019

Bluelighter
I keep seeing places with labels stating it contains "Delta-9-THC" and I don't know anything about it at all and nothing comes up about the differences or if there even is any when I do a quick search on the internet about it?

I absolutely love the delta thc derivatives of thc, I took 35 mg of them and got the same high I got in highschool where as dispo weed usually sends me into a great panic, I honestly liked it more than medical marijuana, even if it is sketchy that smoke shops sell cannabinoids! For me the difference was it was a cleaner high that got me stoned as hell without the negative side effects of cannabis

The whole thing is so new that I'm afraid we don't have a solid answer for you, Sir. But most of us here seem to think that there are tangible differences between delta-9 and delta-5 (e.g. normal) THC.

Some even seem to prefer it. Others here think that there is danger in experimenting with too many canibanols. I personally don't think that vaping is the best. Were you think of edibles or vaping?

Are you used to smoking weed? I haven't heard of anyone having a freak out that already knew how to smoke weed. Delta-9 is pretty much weed. I can't tell the difference between delta-9 and delta-8, for example.
What do you mean by delta-5?

As far as I'm aware delta9 is the primary cannabinoid from cannabis not delta5

What do you mean by delta-5?

As far as I'm aware delta9 is the primary cannabinoid from cannabis not delta5

Oops, looks like you're right! See? I can't tell the difference, hah!

Edit: I did find this however.

Ok I need to step in and clarify what I thought should be obvious, and then maybe a little bit more. I guess to start off answering the OPs question. Yes. Delta 9 THC is the exact same thing as regular THC found in cannabis.

The Delta or Δ is referring to where the double bond is in the benzopyran ring. There are 6 possible deltas. Δ6, Δ7, Δ8, Δ9, Δ10, Δ6a-10a. It's a hexagon so there can only be 6 places on the ring that the double bond can sit at. There is something called Δ11 THC also known as exo THC but I don't like the terminology for reasons Ill give in the end.

As far as I know only Δ8 and Δ9 are really considered active.

Technically if you use the outdated monoterpenoid numbering system you can come up with a Δ5, but Δ5 in the monoterpenoid system corresponds to Δ7 in the dibenzopyran system. No researchers still use the monoterpenoid numbering system so let's not either, and keep the confusion to a minimum.

Ok now for why are these even called THC in the first place?

T = tetra = 4 in greek,
H = hydro= referring to the number of extra hydrogens
C = referring to Cannabinol also known as CBN

Now if you go look at the structure of CBN and you go back to the benzopyran ring you will see instead of 1 double bond in the hexagon you see 3. The ring is what we call aromatic. There are only 3 places that a hydrogen can fit. So there's 3 hydrogens. If you look at THC's (any of them) you'll see that they have 7 hydrogens. 7 - 3 = 4 = tetra. Tetrahydrocannabinol

The system applies to HHC as well, which has 9 hydrogens of the benzopyran ring. 9 - 3 = 6 = Hexa
Hexahydrocannabinol.

As far as Δ11/Exo-THC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta-11-Tetrahydrocannabinol
The double bond is moved outside of the ring and there are 8 hydrogens. 8 - 3 = 5 = penta. So it's probably more accurately described as a pentahydrocannabinol or PHC.

Most of this research was done a long time ago. There's really not too much new here besides people putting these cannabinoids in the bodies at larger scales than we've ever seen.