Mental Health Is company insurance for therapy confidential?

Nipper76

Bluelighter
Anyone used a company insurance provider and spoken freely about their drug use. I.e. it won't get back to a company doctor or be accessible on any records anywhere?

Obviously don't want anything getting back to them, I don't have much trust. But I can't get proper therapy and not be honest.

There is therapy available through my company health care scheme, but not sure if I should use it.

Last time I got a referral from my NHS doctor for treatment for my foot (first stage for private health claim) and at the bottom was a summary including drug use. So obviously I didn't bother.

I know the bits where it got on my record and it was before I got this job, so it didn't affect me getting employed, but I'm wary of medical in confidence these days and don't want to add anything recent.

Last edited:
I'd just keep it as need-to-know. You never know when people might spill the beans. Even if the information was confidential that doesn't guarantee people's good behavior.

I've made the mistake of divulging information in confidence only for it to bite me in the ass.

If its a job you want to keep forever I wouldn't. You never want to mix this stuff up with your job. If its a gig you don't care about then maybe.

Reason being is the can certainly find out. You are using their insurance, the claim goes to them. And once its known drugs are involved it will hold you back from moving up. Not worth the few bucks you may save. Keep it 100% confidential if you can.

With that said, I do know someone that used their insurance for a 7 day detox, and was let go the day he came back.

Pretty much echoing my own thoughts then, I might just do the company paid for stuff but stick to the usual problems. If it's shit, I'll pay for my own.