• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos is amitriptyline similar to valium?

escapist

Bluelighter
Are their symptoms comparable at all? I know it largely depends on the person as well but I couldn't find out much on the net. Reason I ask is that I can't get hold of valium right now and found some amitriptyline tablets in my house. I'm going through a bout of anxiety at the moment and want to know if it's worth taking one?

It's an old world anti-D that's prescribed for nerve pain rather than depression. I took it for a while but it had no positive effects on my pain, I took it in the evening with Lyrica and oxy as part of a sleep cocktail cos it did make me a little drowsy 100-150mgs. Not sure if it had positive effects on my anxiety, I don't think so because I ended up on sertraline to help with that and it did.

What strength are they 25/50mgs? They are hands down the weirdest tasting pill I've come across. It's more like potpourri, or like eating perfume. It's probably a bi-product of some heavy metal industry or something equally sinister.

Anyone else think they taste funky? And I don't mean a chemical taste like oxy/codeine APAP etc, I mean well, weird. Uurgh!

Amitriptyline is just a tricyclic anti-depressant that acts as a Serotonin and Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. It also has rather potent anticholinergic effects as well hence the sedation. I found it to be a great anti-depressant, sleep aid and good at treating my nerve pain until it crapped out on me. Valium on the otherhand like all Benzodiazepines acts on the Gaba-A receptor. So they cause their sedation through 2 completely different methods and unlike Valium or any other benzo which some people consider fun Tricyclics are the complete opposite of fun.

Save the Amitriptyline for insomnia and for that 25mg's taken before bed should do the trick.

I was prescribed nortryptoline (which is in the same family as the one you mentioned) for sleep once. While it did sedate me for about two hours I woke up with killer anxiety. I'd definitely stay away from the am for anxiety.

Amitriptyline actually is a combination of an ssri and benzos.

That is simply dangerous misinformation, there is nothing "benzo-like" about amitryptiline.

Benzos act on GABA receptors.

Amitryptiline (and related tricyclic antidepressants) inhibit the re-uptake of serotonin and noradrenaline, in addition to blocking a number of serotonergic, histaminergic, and adrenergic receptors (among other things).

The sedation it causes is thus much more comparable to a sedating antihistamine or a 2nd generation antipsychotic than a benzodiazepine.

Don't get me wrong, these sedating effects often contribute significantly to their therapeutic value, but telling people that they are in any way "like benzos" could lead to life-threatening situations due to their serotonergic and anticholinergic effects.

After doing a little digging, it seems like Bobboski1987's error stems from the fact that there are pharmaceuticals containing a mix of amitryptiline and the benzodiazepine chlordiazepoxide.

However, amitryptiline and chlordiazepoxide are still different chemical compounds, and such combo pills are pretty rare compared to amitryptiline-only products; saying "amitryptiline contains a benzo" is like saying "acetaminophen contains an opioid" because Percocet contains both acetaminophen and oxycodone.

In the effort to encourage harm reduction...please...don't take too many. Obviously you can OD on many pills...this is NOT one you want to mess with. So popping 4 or 5 might be the way they pop your casket.