• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Is Ambien withdrawal deadly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewpy

Greenlighter
Hey bluelighters,

Just wondering if you can die from severe withdrawal from Ambien/Zolpidem or other z-class drugs. I've heard that this can happen with severe alcohol or benzo addictions, so I assumed it was gaba related. I know the z-class drugs like ambien act on gaba too.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

I CTed 10 mg a day and didn't have too many issues aside from rebound insomnia from hell.

There's a case study of someone having a seizure coming off of a year-long gram/day habit... but I'm guessing your use is much less than that... at least I hope ?

Wow. A gram a day is unreal..

Yeah I've used 10-20mg each night for the last month. I tried to stop and noticed headaches, nausea, shakes, and dizziness. A bit of insomnia too with weird dreams. Took an Ambien 15 minutes ago and it seems to be relieving the symptoms.

Anyway, I asked because I was curious of how serious Ambien withdrawal gets.

Is ambien even physically addictive, aside from getting used to it and not being able to sleep with out it?

^Yes it's physically addictive
Z-Drugs act on GABA-A, just like benzos, but are far more selective than benzos for the different subunits. But I think they still have some affinity for the subunit that's responsible for the anticonvulsant effects of benzos (iirc we don't really know what subunit is responsible for it and all GABA-A receptor subunits seem to play a role, but I could be wrong) so yes, I think it's possible to die from withdrawing cold turkey, but it would take way way longer to get there than with benzos.

I've heard of seizures and effects similar to benzo withdraw. But for the most part, as long as you're not taking a ton of the stuff everyday then coming off should mostly leave you with some insomnia I would think.

I was taking anywhere from 60-120mg/night for about a month straight and didn't have any negative sides other than the insomnia. But again, I was only on it for about a month.

Loved that shit though. Sex was great lol.

^Yes it's physically addictive
Z-Drugs act on GABA-A, just like benzos, but are far more selective than benzos for the different subunits. But I think they still have some affinity for the subunit that's responsible for the anticonvulsant effects of benzos (iirc we don't really know what subunit is responsible for it and all GABA-A receptor subunits seem to play a role, but I could be wrong) so yes, I think it's possible to die from withdrawing cold turkey, but it would take way way longer to get there than with benzos.

This. I've known a few people that were taking tons of Ambein, a whole lot, and ended up having seizures when they tried to stop. Anyway, this kind of thing has been discussed a lot, you could find the answer on google, so I'm going to close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.