• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is alprazolam an effective anticonvulsant?

falsifiedhypothesi

Bluelight Crew
So I recently got ahold of a relatively large amount of tramadol, I haven't had tramadol in a while and since my last time using it my tolerance has risen quite a bit. I'll be taking doses of 200mg to possibly 400mg and since these are higher doses then I've used before I want to be safe so im adding an anticonvulsant with my dose.

All I have is alprazolam .25mg and since I don't want the Xanax to interfere with the tramadol I want to only take .125-.25 so I don't really feel anything off of it. Will the doses I'm taking help prevent seizures? I know Xanax is a relatively poor anticonvulsant as far as benzos go but I'm assuming it's better then nothing.

As long as you dont go past 400 mgs you are fine man 200 mgs is a normal dose and doesnt need any anticonculsants. Also xanax is like the least anticonvulsant benzo if i remember correctly. If anything it will help the nods. But dont let the stigma people give tramidol throw you off the chances of a seizure below 400 mg without a previous seizure are very very slim

If you're looking for an anticonvulsant benzo I'd go with Clonazepam.

^ id love to be able to get clonazepam thelung, but unfortunately I only have access to Xanax. justtakethat I know my doses are below the "seizure limit" but I've heard of people having seizures from sub-400mg doses even when they have no history of them.

Normally I wouldn't worry about it but since I have a large supply I'm going to be taking the tram for a longer period of time then 1-2 weeks. Since tramadol has a long half life it could build up in my system so when I take my regular dose I could already have more then I thought in my body, therefore being at a higher risk for seizures.

^ id love to be able to get clonazepam thelung, but unfortunately I only have access to Xanax. justtakethat I know my doses are below the "seizure limit" but I've heard of people having seizures from sub-400mg doses even when they have no history of them.

Normally I wouldn't worry about it but since I have a large supply I'm going to be taking the tram for a longer period of time then 1-2 weeks. Since tramadol has a long half life it could build up in my system so when I take my regular dose I could already have more then I thought in my body, therefore being at a higher risk for seizures.

Ahhh well if Alprazolam is all you have, then I'd go ahead with it. Tramadol was never enjoyable for me personally, but if you like it, more power to you. good luck

400mg of tramadol is pretty much the most common dose where it lowers the seizure threshold and may cause seizures but it can be way less or it can be a bit more
its never recommended to take more than 300mg

xanax does provide anti convulsion properties but other benzos such klonopin or ativan would be a better choice

Why would you get addicted just because you have a large supply? Plus youll need more each time and the withdrawl is restlessness and feeling sick. Just take them for 2 days in a row max and wait 2 days or 3 and then repeat you get the same amount of highs except more because you dont have tk increase the dose. Youll wish you had when u cant sleep because of your restless legs and arms

AFAIK, Xanax is fairly useless as an anticonvulsant/antiepileptic compared to most benzos (albeit at normal doses; no idea what effect megadoses might have). I've actually wondered a few times whether its classification as an "anti-seizure" drug might really be due only to its ability to mitigate pseudoseizures (which are not properly defined, but are generally accepted to be linked to anxiety, and present almost identically to epileptic seizures, at least to the untrained eye (and let's face it, how many doctors who prescribe anticonvulsants to their patients ever have the chance to witness one of their seizures in person?)).

I've stopped a larger benzo habit before with no withdrawals plus I'm not taking them to get high, (well I guess I'm using them to get high safely) I'm taking them to protect myself so once I'm done with the tram I'm done with the xanax. I'm not belittling the power of benzos, I understand they can have a strong grip on people but I don't like the "high" or any part of their effects after a period of abusing them in my high school years.

I'm not "trying" to get addicted, I'm being realistic. I have an opiate(s) in my possession, therefore I will use them pretty much every day until I'm out. With tramadol I have more self control but my days are filled with too much stress to resist taking opiates I already possess at the end of the day.

Tramadol's effects seem to vary a lot from person to person. I've never taken it myself, but I knew someone who kept up a 900mg habit for almost a year and never had a seizure, although he apparently did end up with auditory hallucinations.

Tramadol's effects seem to vary a lot from person to person. I've never taken it myself, but I knew someone who kept up a 900mg habit for almost a year and never had a seizure, although he apparently did end up with auditory hallucinations.

Some people get no high or painkilling properties from tramadol and others like me get an opiate high and pseudo-stimulant effect. Same with the adverse effects like seizures, the only negative I've found with tramadol is it induces nausea easier then any other opiate I've taken.

I like tramidol more than oxy sometimes because it lasts longer and the nods are sometimes more pronounced. The tramidol high definitely compares to the better opiates. Its risks of seizures is way blown out of proportion. All opiates induce seizures. Just dknt excees 350 or 400

ALL benzos have anti convulsant properties to them. some more than others, the best option would be clonazepam as it is used to treat seizure valium probably a close second. but if xanax is all you have then yes it will "help" to prevent seizures but not to the extent that klonopin, valium, ativan, and phenobarbital will. but like jtt said as long as you dont go over 300-400mgs and have no history of seizures you should be fine without the benzo.

Lorazepam and Diazepam would be a better option
I agree. But Alprazolam does help reduce your risk of a seizure, albeit less so than Lorazepam/Diazepam/Clonazepam

I've decided to not even bother with Xanax since I don't feel like wasting more money on it
Good desicion.

This will be a fun ride quitting alprazolam and tramadol at the same time.
I've done it before. I can tell you, it was great fun!

In all seriousness, if/when you have to quit your habit (If you get addicted?) You'll need some medical supervision whilst withdrawing from Alprazolam and Tramadol. I honestly couldn't think of 2 worse drugs to withdraw from.. I've withdrew from plenty over the past 6 years, with Alprazolam (Xanax) at the top of the 'Nasties list' closely followed by Oxycontin withdrawal. Although, me being me, I used to binge like crazy on various Benzo's & Opiates and then quit cold turkey. Go through absolute hell for a few days and then fold due to the withdrawals.