• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Is a "come-down" primarily due to lack of sleep and nutrition?

Fellowed

Bluelighter
This goes for most substances I have taken. I've noticed that if they are consumed during the day and have worn off by night time, and I can get a good amount of sleep in afterwards then this pretty much counteracts any negative feelings I have the following days. Especially if I am able to eat slightly before sleep and more afterwards.

I also suffer from insomnia and have found the feeling of being awake 30+ hours with only a few hours sleep behind you, followed by another couple of hours then being awake again etc to make me feel as awful as any come down.

Don't get me wrong, that isn't to say that substances aren't responsible for some of the bad feelings. But I think that the lack of sleep (and nutrition) simply adds insult to injury.

yeah, of course lack of sleep and of proper nutrition will make the down worse, but in case of MDMA I think it's primarly due to serotonin depletion.

^ Agreed. It is going to play some role, but the "crash" or "comedown" is directly tied to MDMA's empathogenic effects.

I never really had a comedown, but i feel worse all week if i don't sleep and get some good nutrition after.

Yeah I also believe that lack of nutrition, dehydration, and lack of sleep can make you feel worse but the MDMA is what's causing the majority of the distress. I always have food in my stomach, drink lots of water, and get to bed after rolls and still feel like shit sometimes. I'm also gonna go out and say that no amount of up-keeping will prevent the depression, anxiety, and sleep disturbances that I get after heavy use

I haven’t really had a bad comedown or felt like shit the next day since we started rolling early and going to sleep early. The times we have gone to raves and stayed out until 3am are generally the times we felt like crap the next day. Generally our use averages around 2-4 times per year, around 180mg(120 intial and 60mg booster) total throughout the night for my wife and around 220mg(160 initial and 60 booster) total throughout the night for me.

Dehydration and lack of sleep will make you feel like shit even if you stay 100% sober.

Last summer, I rolled at 2PM at the beach with good music and friends without a redose. It was methylone pill, and I didn't had a comedown also slept because of the sun too :D
When I wake up, It was OK for me and had a lot of fun, I ate a lot food, fruits on the beach. I didn't got any side effects.

I really think the business style and my gym routine causes a bad comedown if I roll after gym friday night.
When the summer comes, you should try rolling with the sun, you don't experience any comedowns and also you sweat and roll harder :)

It certainly wouldn't facilitate the comedown. Then again, my last roll I went about 13 hours without eating. Ate lunch on the day at 12ish, then couldn't eat anything else until the next day at about 12-1. I still felt a nice warm afterglow despite lack of sleep and nutrition. My main theories are dosage, impure product or prior abuse. Either of these are, in my opinion, the reason why people experience bad comedowns. I've seen no evidence (at least from me, my friends and a few randoms) for moderate doses (100-200mg) of tested MDMA causing bad comedowns in reasonably MDMA-naiive people.

I think one side of the factors multiply the others in producing a much worse comedown, like when taking 2 different drugs you'd lower the dose, only this makes you feel shit.

dehydration, lack of food and sleep will make you feel shit but in combination with serotonin depletion it will be much much worse.

Personally don't really get comedowns, mostly just feel drained and my jaw stays tight for days if it's a fat binge

Put me on the side of those reporting lack of sleep an poor nutrition have a great part in an empathogen hangover. My lady an I always drop around 5pm and we have noticed it really reduces the nastiness as we can get a reasonable amount of sleep.

While back but last time I did it we took it early 4pm-ish. Made some fresh veg/lentil soup toward the end (nice light meal & easy to get down) and got a decent nights sleep - very little comedown at all. Day 4 or 5 after a little glumness but not too bad. Staying up all night on too many doses + possibly other drugs and dancing all the water out of your body is responsible for a lot of it imo.

What is usually referred to as a "comedown" is, primarily, caused by serotonin depletion. Since serotonin is one of the neurotransmitters responsible for feeling good, we tend to feel bad when it's running low. However, proper spacing between rolls will minimize this effect.

Of course, lack of sleep and lack of food will make almost any circumstance worse.

The lack of nutrition and proper sleep not just from the mdma experience but from stressful weekly priorities are reasons alone that can reduce serotonin in brain.

Combine that with a substance that depletes serotonin, dehydrates you, and prevents you from a night of sleep and you have a good recipe for a come down.

In my opinion and experience to avoid a come down you have to moderate your usage , get proper sleep and nutrition the week before, be in a good state of mind ( not taking it when you're stressed or a little bit depressed) and the come down will be minimal

if non existent