• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Involuntary or Misdemeanor Manslaughter

BadHero

Bluelighter
Looking for some input here as this discussion has hit a wall with those involved.

On Friday 4th December, my uncle had a heart attack and passed away. He was at work, as a driver for private hire cars, and was having a disagreement with his passenger over the fare. My uncle called his office whilst the passenger was still in the car and all those involved in the conversation tried to resolve the problem. However, half way through the phone call, the line went quiet and the person in the office heard the car door slam. They tried to call my uncle back but there was no answer. The office called the police who went to my uncles location (thank you GPS) where they found him dead in his vehicle.

It has transpired that my uncle had a heart attack during the phone call to his office and the passenger got out the car and left him. A port mortem has shown that if an ambulance was called, my uncle would probably still be alive.

The passenger has been questioned and held over the incident and now faces charges of misdemeanor manslaughter.

I want to point out at this juncture is that I hold no formal qualifications in any legal field. All I know is what I have read over the years.

I have asked for the charges to be upped to involuntary manslaughter.

Whilst the misdemeanor charge is valid because the passenger was only trying to dodge paying his fare, the involuntary one is even more valid because he witnessed the heart attack and bolted rather than calling an ambulance.

Would you push for the tougher crime or accept the lesser one?

We can't really give legal advice but since your question is more about what action you should take I think it's okay...

If it was me I'd 100% push for the strongest possible charges. They can always convict for a lower offense if they can't make the felony, but no reason not to try.

This summer a friend of mine was killed in a car crash--he was driving safely when 2 cars that were racing (going the other way), had a collision of some kind and one car flipped over the median killing my friend instantly. The police were able to find both drivers and BOTH have been charged with MURDER. It's nowhere near justice but it makes me feel an iota better, and in a situation like this, you have to take what you can get.

We can't really give legal advice but since your question is more about what action you should take I think it's okay...

If it was me I'd 100% push for the strongest possible charges. They can always convict for a lower offense if they can't make the felony, but no reason not to try.

This summer a friend of mine was killed in a car crash--he was driving safely when 2 cars that were racing (going the other way), had a collision of some kind and one car flipped over the median killing my friend instantly. The police were able to find both drivers and BOTH have been charged with MURDER. It's nowhere near justice but it makes me feel an iota better, and in a situation like this, you have to take what you can get.

Firstly, I am sorry to hear about your friend. Losing someone is heartbreaking but losing them unexpectedly is soul destroying.

Secondly, it is more opinions that I am interested in as opposed to advice. I went with my aunt to speak to a lawyer and he said he doesn't want to push too hard in case he gets let off. I said, as a personal opinion, that involuntary suits the crime just as much as the misdemeanor so why can't we push for the harsher punishment. This has divided the family as, although we all want justice, some don't want to push for it and others are adamant to push!!

I'm interested in how people would proceed if it was them.