• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Interaction between Bupropion and MDMA (Study)

Dextro .45

Bluelighter
The below text is copied from medical journal study: apparently...administration of Bupropion (Wellbutrin) before MDMA (Ecstasy) reduces the norepinephrine release from MDMA as well as prolonging the subjective effects (drug liking) of MDMA.

3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA; “ecstasy”) is a popular recreational drug. This study explored the role of dopamine in the psychotropic effects of MDMA using bupropion to inhibit the transporters through which MDMA releases dopamine and norepinephrine. The pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic interactions between bupropion and MDMA were studied in healthy subjects. Bupropion reduced the MDMA-induced elevations in plasma norepinephrine concentrations and the heart rate response to MDMA. In contrast, bupropion increased plasma MDMA concentrations and prolonged its subjective effects. Conversely, MDMA increased plasma bupropion concentrations. The results indicate a role for the transporter-mediated release of norepinephrine in the cardiostimulant effects of MDMA, but do not support a modulatory role for dopamine in the mood effects of MDMA. The results also indicate that the use of MDMA during therapy with bupropion may result in higher plasma concentrations of both MDMA and bupropion, and enhanced mood effects but lower cardiac stimulation.

So I was thinking...could taking Wellbutrin 300mg XR (which I just began taken again for smoking cessation, and to substitute /taking a break from Ritalin) before I take any Vyvanse reduce any norepinephrine effects of d-amph ?

I know Vyvanse is way less harsh than IR Adderall but while taking Vyvanse I still got heart palpitations and felt more cardio taxing than my IR Ritalin. Methylphenidate is waayyyy smother and gentle on the cardio system as apposed to amphetamines. So after reading this medical journal review I thought d-amph would act just like MDMA (minus the SERT release from Molly), both are competitive substrates with similar mechanism of action

I’m going to find out soon enough ...but I find that very interesting. Seems like taking Bupropion before you take a recreation dose of Meth/Dex/Addy/Molly would reduce the negative effects by norepinephrine activity (increased HR & BP) while at the same time prolonging it’s potentially positive subjective effects of “drug liking” “stimulated” “happy” lol as they put it

Any thoughts on this...???

Last edited:
I know that I am not directly answering your questions and for that I apologize! However, MDMA seems to have some nasty long-lasting if not permanent side effects according to some users. It seems arguably even more detrimental than meth use with the anxiety and depression MDMA seems to bring.

However, I am quite curious about trying it in the future when I visit the West Coast (where MDMA seems to be far more commonplace). Would you say that it should be a oe-and-done kind of substance? I suppose how some people feel about psychedelics like shrooms/LSD? Or is it simply just necessary to space out your rolls as lengthy as possible? Ty :)

Individuals that take too much Ecstasy/MDMA are often referred to as “E -Tards”. Sounds so offensive, I know. I’ve heard that term several times throughout highschool and long after by different groups of people. This is referring to ravers that drop 2-4 XTC tabs per rave and do it all the time probably, causing serious neurological harm to their mental health.

Just like Meth has neurotoxicity DAT when abused at high doses, MDMA has harmful effects in regards to SERT when taken in access, which would cause anxiety & depression (which is directly associated with Serotonin)

I believe 100 mg of MDMA is a normal therapeutic dose, and taking such on a Saturday night once a month wouldn’t be all that harmful. I saw a NatGEO Doc where MDMA is prescribed to people with PTSD and terminal conditions as therapy For the PTSD this war vet guy had crippling issues due to combat and took MDMA often / weekly, but that’s an extreme case and low therapeutic doses. ....kinda like micro dosing LSD I guess.

I’m going to find out soon enough ...but I find that very interesting. Seems like taking Bupropion before you take a recreation dose of Meth/Dex/Addy/Molly would reduce the negative effects by norepinephrine activity (increased HR & BP) while at the same time prolonging it’s potentially positive subjective effects of “drug liking” “stimulated” “happy” lol as they put it

Any thoughts on this...???

Everyone's different, but it's likely to reduce the subjective effects of your vyvanse - ie be counterproductive to ADHD(?) treatment. Meanwhile I doubt it'll do anything to reduce the peripheral stimulation (it has an additive effect on mine, for example).

There's actually quite a few studies out there looking into the possible impacts of co-administration as they postulated bupropion may be a useful resource for curbing addiction to stimulants more generally.

Individuals that take too much Ecstasy/MDMA are often referred to as “E -Tards”. Sounds so offensive, I know. I’ve heard that term several times throughout highschool and long after by different groups of people. This is referring to ravers that drop 2-4 XTC tabs per rave and do it all the time probably, causing serious neurological harm to their mental health.

Just like Meth has neurotoxicity DAT when abused at high doses, MDMA has harmful effects in regards to SERT when taken in access, which would cause anxiety & depression (which is directly associated with Serotonin)

I believe 100 mg of MDMA is a normal therapeutic dose, and taking such on a Saturday night once a month wouldn’t be all that harmful. I saw a NatGEO Doc where MDMA is prescribed to people with PTSD and terminal conditions as therapy For the PTSD this war vet guy had crippling issues due to combat and took MDMA often / weekly, but that’s an extreme case and low therapeutic doses. ....kinda like micro dosing LSD I guess.

Ah I see! I've always suspected some merit to taking stimulants with reasonable doses and infrequently.

Stimulants feel like a spiritual reset--and when you come back to Earth suddenly Earth no longer feels flat and grey.

Have you tried Bupropion by any chance?

by no means is it’s subjective effects like Amphetamines, but still a beta-ketone amph analog with mild stimulant properties. Very effective for smoking cessation and off label for adhd. Bupropion 300mg XR is an effective dose and might make things seem not so “flat and grey”. Could put a little pep in your step?

Just like another member noted....it makes the times in between taking Amph/MPH more comfortable

Perhaps Vyvanse might be an attractive option for you? A gentle onset and long duration make it more suitable for long term therapy perhaps. Less abuse potential than its IR counterparts, Lisdexamfetamine would make a good option for many people...as would Bupropion.