View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Intense stomach cramps on LSD

coolcucumber

Bluelighter
(Before I begin, 9/10 times I take LSD I may get some nausea, but it usually passes after coming up)

OK, so on Sunday I took a pretty high dose (450ug~) of quality LSD (verified pure). To note, it had been a stressful day and was feeling more anxious than usual before dropping. About 1 hour in I started to get stomach pains (abdominal, upper-right quadrant). I became quite delirious and nauseas. I also got diarrhoea. Then at like 2-3 hours in I vomited pretty intensely. Shortly later I dry-heaved. The nausea gradually decreased over the next 12 hours, with no continued desire to vomit. The pain though remained pretty constant.

The pain was a combination of a dull ache and sharp shooting pains that came sporadically.

At the time I was panicking that it was my liver, but I've since discovered that the liver has no nerve endings, and thus can't be "felt". It's now Wednesday and the pains are still present. They were less bad yesterday, but seem worse today. I will be seeing a doctor a little later.

One idea I had was it might be a gallbladder issue. Perhaps gallstones.

I've had similar pain with nausea, cramps, and vomiting before on LSD, but it had gone by the time I had come down.

This experience pretty much ruined the trip, and I'm pretty worried about it happening again. LSD is by far my favourite drug, and I'd be devastated if I had to stop :(

Just wondering if anybody else has had this kind of prolonged stomach issue from LSD? Google has shown me that cramps are relatively common, but I've not seen anyone report pains continuing for days after.

i am sorry your experience was compromised as a result of this "cramping".

although perhaps slightly off-topic, i used to experience moderate to severe stomach discomfort, even pain when using LSD (as well as various DOx & 2C-x compounds) years ago. it even caused me to projectile vomit blood during a high-dose LSD trip once - as you may have guessed, it wasn't the most pleasant event that could have occured while three hours into one of the strongest experiences i had in those days. these symptoms (stomach pain, nausea, heartburn, etc.) were relatively common during trips back then. i found out about a few months after that trippingbloodvomit episode that i had an esophageal abrasion ulcer. i've still never been able to make the connection between the two, or why tryptamines & phenethylamines seemed to trigger such considerable discomfort, but the nexium i took for almost two years assisted in healing the hole in my stomach.

perhaps you require an endoscopy - this is how my problem was discovered. do you notice increased pain during times of stress and/or angst? this can be a sign of gastroesophageal reflux disease, ulcer, or other acidity/corrosion issues.

sorry i am unable to offer you more valuable insight - i worked in healthcare for eight years but i am not a physician - only a doctor can diagnose you.

however, if by chance you come across any link between psychedelics & various stomach disorders please submit related information here. i'm curious to know if there are others here who have experienced something similar.

i've never had those issues with LSD but definitely have them badly with other psychedelics (only for the first few hours though). Usually loperamide, some ginger extract and perhaps a benadryl or two are enough to fix it completely.

Did you have your LSD tested by a lab? i know you said it was pure but a lot of people will just say that without actually having it tested properly.

I'd bet that it's an unrelated issue that just happened after taking LSD. I've always found LSD very easy on the stomach and body compared to pretty much every other psychedelic i've tried but i guess every drug affects everyone differently.

Stomach pains are a common LSD side effect, never heard of it continuing after the trip was over before.

it even caused me to projectile vomit blood during a high-dose LSD trip once - as you may have guessed, it wasn't the most pleasant event that could have occured while three hours into one of the strongest experiences i had in those days.

My god that sounds horrific! Sorry you had to experience that!

Went to the doc today, they said it's likely a bug, or perhaps some temporary issue involving bile (can't remember the exact terms he used). The symptoms do seem to be clearing up, so I'm hopeful I won't have too much trouble from it again. He did say as well that if it was gallstones, my symptoms would likely not have cleared up, and that fever and vomiting would have continued etc.

I believe the other time I had similar symptoms on LSD was when I dosed at around 450ug. Might perhaps from now on keep it down to 300ug as max.. Although I'll certainly miss the eye-candy you get from 450ug..

Will keep posted if I get anything else happening in the future.

I would say that it might have just been an unlucky situation.
I haven't heard of anything that intense happening on LSD, however you said you were stressed and might have gotten the stomach pains regardless, however since LSD can potentially cause nausea, and I have thrown up on the comeup even though it has only been maybe twice, it is still easily possible.
What you're describing I get much more often with 2c chems, especially 2ce.

Hey, I thought I should mention that a very similar thing happened to me. I took 7 hits last weekend and thought I was passing a kidney stone. So far, all of my symptoms indicate that it's gallbladder issues.

Anxiety often aggravates the digestive system. (think acids, bile, contractions, peristalsys, diarrhea, and then secondary aggravation like stones, ulcers etc.)
Usually with anxiety there is a feedback between the trigger (which may be hypochondria*), the reaction, gut pain or awareness, reflection upon life, retriggering (*), more reacting, more gut pain, more attempt to understand, retriggering...
With psychedelics or stimulants, you can imagine, this loop can get entrenched.

I've often found that having a poor diet or eating a fatty meal like a burger on acid can aggravate these symptoms, and likewise, one can alleviate them by eating a fiber rich low fat diet prior to tripping.

Correct me if I am wrong but don't we have a good amount of 5-HT receptors in our stomach? Could that play a factor?

most likely it is just sympathomemetic response (stimulation) which will speed peristalsis (intestinal squeeze and evacuation), and diaeresis (go pee much?), but you can intensify it with feedback and panic.