• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Insulin and Weight Gain

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
Finally gotten to a point where my blood glucose is high enough that insulin is unavoidable (approx. 6 times the normal amount).
I have a history of eating disorders but have been (Sober? In remission? Whatever you call it) for three years.

My normal weight is around 114lbs. After a week on 10 units of insulin a day, I was 116lbs and I've been on 14 units a day for a little over 2 weeks now and am 121lbs.

This is really concerning me as I've been deliberately eating LESS than normal* and 14 units is still a fairly low amount and is likely to keep being increased slowly for a while.

*For anyone who doesn't know, the reason your blood sugar is SO high is because your body cannot "use" the carbs/sugar you eat. This also means that you don't absorb the CALORIES you eat from any sugar or carbs.

Initially you may go up, but this is only temporary as your body thinks it’s starving. Get your sugar under control and this will correct itself.. just give it a few months.

Most people who stabilize their sugars (type one) enjoy a slim desirable body weight.. just let your body regroup and then take up a nice diabetic diet. it does not have to be some hard core book diet.. long acting takes care of most of it.. short acting can deal with the occasional ice cream bender

Just consider letting the system settle down and regulate.. then adapt your diet and exercise to your specific needs.

Don’t freak out about this tho..

Im a type1 for almost a decade.

Last edited: