• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids insomia from withdrawal

blackmarket91

Bluelighter
I have a weird case i was on methadone for 5 years but i only ever taken methadone really i never had a opiate addiction i came off 200 mg cold turkey 41 days ago now i feel better now but im still not fully out yet still have minor stomach cramps and other mild things but the worst is not able to stay asleep even with trazadone i get 3 hours of sleep a night i usually sleep at 11 30 and wake up every night at 3 for like 30 minutes then ill finally go back to sleep then wake up around 6

im curious about others here who had the same experience with methadone and how long it took to naturally get decent sleep again

I cannot speak for methadone, but when I kicked an H habit I used melatonin. It worked wonders for me. I guess it more so helped me to fall asleep. That was so long ago that I can’t remember if it helped me to STAY asleep- but at that time it was a godsend.

I know how annoying it can be when you can’t fall asleep or stay asleep! I suffered from insomnia for most of my life. One thing I have learned, is instead of stressing about that 3am wake up- learn to enjoy it. Reserve a few chapters in a book, find a tv program in that allotted time, or read the morning newspaper.

My favorite time to be awake is between 4-6am. Everything is so muted and still- it’s like you have the world to yourself.

iv never had insomnia only due to the withdrawal im sure melatonin doesnt work for me even Tylenol pm doesnt and trazadone barely does was just wondering when this will subside hopefully wont be months

For me, every time I have ever had even light opiate withdrawal (many, many times), I can't sleep AT ALL for the whole time, unless I take a sedating benzo (etizolam is amazing for this). I envy people who don't get insomnia from opiate addiction, some people even complain about how all they can do during opiate withdrawal is sleep... I'm like... what are you complaining about then?? Just sleep through it!

Etizolam/xanax/any other sedating benzo will allow me to sleep on opiate withdrawal, guaranteed. Of course you have to make sure not to do it too many days in a row... I like to do 2 days on/1 day off so I get good sleep but don't get addicted, and of course, stop as soon as I can sleep again. This assumes no prior history of benzo dependence, as prior benzo dependence means you will become addicted again extremely easily, even after a couple of times in a week.

I would try any other suggestions first, for example melatonin is a good suggestion, as melatonin and other more natural methods of aiding sleep are much safer, and also result in a better quality of sleep (benzo sleep is far better than no sleep, but it doesn't produce high-quality sleep).

Usually insomnia without sleep aids does linger on after acute withdrawal, for me, but it's not as bad after acute w/ds. Instead of no sleep, I can doze throughout the night, and then pretty soon I can sleep half a night, and it improves from there.

200mg cold turkey?? You must have been sick as helll.

It took me about 2 months to feel mostly normal after quiting methadone.

I would recommend getting some black seed oil capsules to help you sleep at night.

I would try any other suggestions first, for example melatonin is a good suggestion, as melatonin and other more natural methods of aiding sleep are much safer, and also result in a better quality of sleep (benzo sleep is far better than no sleep, but it doesn't produce high-quality sleep).

xanax seems to make me have the best quality of sleep ever. But then it takes me about three days to wake up. It could be the depression that leaves me with no energy except in an emergency, when I would have to react.

I have been using dabs to tire me out enough to sleep. I was thinking of a benzo relief for some sleep yesterday. The shatter was more organic 😁 and worked perfectly fine, instead.

sometimes baby aspirin works good for me too.
maybe just try it as a comfort sometime.

it's good for cramping, I have noticed.

200mg cold turkey?? You must have been sick as helll.

It took me about 2 months to feel mostly normal after quiting methadone.

I would recommend getting some black seed oil capsules to help you sleep at night.
it wasnt as bad as i thought just sucks the time it takes all i was given is vistaril and trazadone tomorrow makes 6 weeks hoping only 2 more weeks until im fully out of withdrawal the weird thing is idk if i still am in withdrawal since its been like 5 years since iv been on it idk what normal is like i guess i do have some physical symptoms diarrhea stomach cramps at times but at night i get some anxiety to where its hard to lay back and relax

also one weird thing about benzos friend gave me 10 klonipin peaches 0.5mgs id take one every other day due to it having a long half life of around 2 days but it seemed to actually make my anxiety even worse at night so i stopped taking it

I think that is like a rebound effect.

Xanax has much stronger knock out results for me and seems to be a stronger benzo. I only use xanax or valium for anxiety. I can't include anymore sedation in my routine. I need to try to be alert as much as possible these days.

I will settle for consciousness and energy
and being physically able as a challenge !!

Good luck. Stay strong and choose healthy ! ♡

I would recommend 2m2b or ECX. You can't use that every night, but on the really bad ones it helps a lot. Melatonin helped a bit for me, but it wasn't substantial. It helped me fall asleep, but I don't sleep long at all. Only a couple hours.
I used ECX this time and I only had to use it for the first 3 days and then I was good.

ecx? never heard of it

also i have weird issue i started taking kratom like 3 weeks ago almost daily and i notice now if i dont take it within like 12 hours i start having some anxiety it isnt completely miserable but its noticable and bit uncomfortable not sure if im just still in methadone withdrawal and the kratom has helped me or if im actually hooked on kratom now id not think id be addicted after 3 weeks only taking 5 pills at a time

ecx? never heard of it

also i have weird issue i started taking kratom like 3 weeks ago almost daily and i notice now if i dont take it within like 12 hours i start having some anxiety it isnt completely miserable but its noticable and bit uncomfortable not sure if im just still in methadone withdrawal and the kratom has helped me or if im actually hooked on kratom now id not think id be addicted after 3 weeks only taking 5 pills at a time

ECX is a rare old insomnia drug. It's the alcohol form of ethinamate. Very hard to find unless you have china connections and the ability to purify a chemical. 2m2b is easier to get, but not as good and taste like shit.

I take kratom daily for 3 years now (25g per day) and yes, I get a fair amount of anxiety when I don't take it, but it's a more superficial form of anxiety that's easier to deal with than the anxiety from other opiates or downers. It's almost liberating in a way cause it gives me energy even though it feels shitty. It could be a combination of the kratom and methadone. Try to channel that anxiety into action. When I go through opiate withdrawal after the real acute stuff is over, it sounds weird, but I actually feel fresh almost like I'm tripping a little bit. My eyes get huge and I have much more introspective capacity and motivation. I know the motivation is bad when ur not sleeping well in the begining, but when you start getting sleep, it's really kind of a positive for me.

Also make sure that when you take the kratom, it's no more than 3 hours before bed (when the stimulation wears off). If I go longer than that, then I don't sleep long at all.

Last edited:
ECX is a rare old insomnia drug. It's the alcohol form of ethinamate. Very hard to find unless you have china connections and the ability to purify a chemical. 2m2b is easier to get, but not as good and taste like shit.

I take kratom daily for 3 years now (25g per day) and yes, I get a fair amount of anxiety when I don't take it, but it's a more superficial form of anxiety that's easier to deal with than the anxiety from other opiates or downers. It's almost liberating in a way cause it gives me energy even though it feels shitty. It could be a combination of the kratom and methadone. Try to channel that anxiety into action. When I go through opiate withdrawal after the real acute stuff is over, it sounds weird, but I actually feel fresh almost like I'm tripping a little bit. My eyes get huge and I have much more introspective capacity and motivation. I know the motivation is bad when ur not sleeping well in the begining, but when you start getting sleep, it's really kind of a positive for me.

Also make sure that when you take the kratom, it's no more than 3 hours before bed (when the stimulation wears off). If I go longer than that, then I don't sleep long at all.
i think the pills i have are 500 mg so taking 5 isnt even 3 g generally ill take it like 5 hours after waking up and ill take it again at night to try to help me sleep so im not on a high dose so hopefully it wont fuk me

doctors are fucking scummy here went to a doc after 14 days off methadone asked for neurontin she gave me vistaril and trazadone only and wanted me to come back in 3 weeks i didnt do it cause why would i go pay her to give me nothing what a joke

potassium, calcium, and magnesium and tire yourself out. There's no shortcut, you will be back to normal in few weeks.

I have a weird case i was on methadone for 5 years but i only ever taken methadone really i never had a opiate addiction i came off 200 mg cold turkey 41 days ago now i feel better now but im still not fully out yet still have minor stomach cramps and other mild things but the worst is not able to stay asleep even with trazadone i get 3 hours of sleep a night i usually sleep at 11 30 and wake up every night at 3 for like 30 minutes then ill finally go back to sleep then wake up around 6

im curious about others here who had the same experience with methadone and how long it took to naturally get decent sleep again
First of all well done for getting this far. I've only kicked h and not methadone but the sleep took me a couple of months to return to some kind of normal sleep. Opium of any kind is great for sleep so your mind been used to that for sleep for 5 years it does take time to get back to some normal kind it just one of those things you have to ride out. Just go with the flow its a lot harder if you try to fight it i would just let it go and try to tire myself out and get naps when i coulkd.

I had the worst time sleeping while withdrawing from Xanax. For me what finally broke the cycle was no TV in bed, sticking to a strict routine, no caffeine, do not eat or smoke at least two hours before bed. Excerise during the day (yoga is especially good) read for at least 30 minutes just before going to bed. Essential oils spayed on your pillows. A blackout blindfold really helped me and search YouTube for some guided sleep meditation (this was a gift from god for me hehe). If you are really struggling try some sleeping pills such as Ambien or Zopiclone but DO NOT take these for longer that two weeks just use them as a jump start to get you into a healthy sleep pattern. Peppermint and Chamomile tea are also fantastic for anxiety and helping with insomnia. I hope I’ve helped and haven’t dragged this on hehe.

The truth is. After a 5 year methadone stint, you are looking at 6-12 months withdrawal. Not to mention you have compounded it with benzos and kratom. I have been there, and am there.

Gonna be a minute man. Just stick it out and it will be worth it.

However acute is 45-60 days. Given benzo use and kratom perhaps longer. Sleep is last to come back unfortunately. I have had years clean, sleep was never normal like when I was a kid hitting the snooze button or seeing its only 4am and smiling back to sleep. Nah, sleep disruptions will continue. I know people off for 5+ years after a long done stint and still complain.

Eating healthy and exercise is the best you can do.