• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Inhibiting the memory impairing effects of cannabis with cox-2 inhibitors?

I think this may be an overreach... Does anyone in this forum really suffer much memory loss when consuming cannabis? Some of my most vivid memories involve cannabis use, I honestly feel I remember more from my heavy pot smoking days then when I was young and drug free. I think the so called "memory impairment" caused by cannabis is a very, very subjective measure, and has more impact on short term mechanisms. I don't have scoping review research papers because of the limits on cannabis research in the USA, but most of my experience indicates it's a temporary effect on memory, independent of long-term consolidation. I sort of specialize in degenerative neurological diseases such as MS, Parkinsonism, ALS, PML, NMO etc... and the effects seem more related to kinetic mechanisms (like mis-folded proteins, and irreversible enzyme changes, and oxidative stress) in the brain independent of COX-2 and PGE2. SOD1 (superoxide dismutase) mutations have a strong connection with early neurodegeneration, probably more so than PGE and COX. I will try to dig up some research on the subjects, but may be limited to abstracts in some cases (recently lost my university catalog access).

Long term COX inhibitor use can cause more than just blood pressure and heart disease, it degrades the kidneys, and has its most drmatic effects on the stomach lining (I have severe genetic GERD and have gotten an ulcer from 1 week of NSAID use, but I'm highly susceptible, YMMV)

I found that Withania Somnifera (Ashwagandha) significantly reduces negative or anxiety related aspects of the cannabis high for me.
I dont know if many of you get anxiety when smoking too much, but it should be fairly common. I also get a feeling in my head that is almost painful.
The ashwagandha makes this really managable within 30min for me or it does not really happen if I take it before.

I thought because this is because it has an effect on GABA receptors and therefore decreases anxiety mildly and not as much as benzos. Its just benzolike enough to justify its use when getting high.

Here is what I just found on pubmed:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19152372

It says the plant extract inhibits COX-2. How strong this is compared to NSAIDS I dont know. Maybe somebody else can say something about this.
Thats just a quick find but I find it helps somehow. I cannot be the first one who ingests and Indian herb and finds that it changes a too intense cannabis high.

COX2 inhibitors might not prevent the THC/cannabis induced memory impairment seen during the intoxication phase, as such symptoms are likely due to cannabinoid (cb1 agonist) induced inhibition of acetyl choline and norepinephrine transmition in certain brain regions such as the hippocampus. .
Im pretty sure Ashwagandha does something with acetylcholine as well.
It might counteract the THC in different ways. So far I know about GABA, COX-2 and acetylcholine

Last edited:
Cox-2 inhibitors were a less acute version of the 'thalidomide' disaster. It appears to increase the likelihood of heart-attack and strokes. I recall in the 90s a stack of 'me too' drugs appeared and have since been withdrawn. It seems that ALL NSAIDs increase derious side-effects but the older, less selective ones with a drug to protect the stomach are still a lot safer.